Reloading problem?

This is a discussion on Reloading problem? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Hi All I need some help. I have been reloading for about 29 years. And I have never had this happen to me. I reload ...

Thread: Reloading problem?

Reloading problem?

Hi All
    I need some help. I have been reloading for about 29 years. And I have never had this happen to me.
    I reload mostly 45acp's,44 mags., Some rifle some 38/357's. Recently I purchased a Para Ordance LTC. And I cannot get my reloads to load. They fit my P12-45. My Colt.
    I even tried to re-size the round after it was complete. And all that happens the head falls out of the case.
    Factory amno works fine.

2. Remove Ads

Assistant Administrator
    Sounds odd! So - are you saying they are too tight for the chamber? Won't go into battery? Is OAL within limits?

Have to think on this one cos nothing comes to mind as yet.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

VIP Member
    Are they getting stripped off the mag OK?
    Factory ammo works OK?
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Check your seating die. Sounds to me like you aren't getting a good taper crimp. If the case mouth is still expanded a bit you could have tension at the bullet base but still enough of a flair that it wont feed into a tight chamber. This can also be dangerous as bullets could be seating deeper in the cases from recoil effects while they are in your magazine while you are shooting, or when the bullet nose hits the feed ramp.

Reloading

The slide closes about 80-90% of the way. And will not close all the way. Very hard to remove the round.
    As stated before the rounds feed fine in my other 45's
    And factory amno works fine.

Quote Originally Posted by whitetrashfarm View Post
    The slide closes about 80-90% of the way. And will not close all the way. Very hard to remove the round.
    As stated before the rounds feed fine in my other 45's
    And factory amno works fine.
    Sounds to me like you have an extremely tight chamber. Try trimming your brass to the same precise length as factory, see it it'l then chamber unloaded. If it does, then seat a bullet and give it a try. Like I said, you either have an overly tight chamber or your dies are not properly adjusted....let us know what happens.

Do you use the Lee Factory Crimp Die? Works wonders on resizing cases to original specs after reloading, and crimping the bullet same time.
    Small base dies to completely resize might work.
    If total government control equals safety, why are prisons so dangerous?

Ok, Had similar experience with my Norinco 1911. I use a Lee Pro 1000 for most of my handgun loading. I don't know what you are using, so take it for what its worth. First thing I did was to clean my seating/crimp die. If you have ever loaded lead bullets you can get some lube build up on the seating stem. If you adjust the whole die when checking OAL instead of just the stem, you can lose the crimp. Another "problem" is the die carrier. It is made out of aluminum, and after several thousand rounds it can stretch. Short term solution for that is to take all the dies out and reset them from scratch, making sure the sizing die bottoms on the shell carier. Eventually it can warp to the point you have to replace it, but they are not that expensive. Good luck!

reloading

I am using A rock chucker and RCBS dies.
    About 25 years old.

Quote Originally Posted by whitetrashfarm View Post
    I am using A rock chucker and RCBS dies.
    About 25 years old.
    ***: The only similar problem I've had has been with many times fired .30 carbine brass. The stuff had work hardened so much that unless annealed it would just spring back to a too large dimension to hold the cast lead bullet. More trouble that it was worth to anneal so I just tossed the stuff. That said, I still think your problem is die adjustment. Far as small base dies go, mostly I've only heard of their use on rifle ctgs..

Now you really have me scratching my head! I only use casings maybe five times, and usually load them fairly light, so I don't have a big problem with case stretching. I would double check case length and diameter both at the mouth and back by the head. Also, just a thought here, take the barrel out and put some marking compound on the ogive of the bullet and drop it in the chamber. P95Carry might be right on the OAL. The bullet could be hitting the rifling before the case mouth headspaces in the chamber. Lots of manuals give you a minimum but don't give a maximum. You may just need to seat them a little deeper.

reloading

Thanks All
    All dimensions are within limits. Like I said the rounds fit my other 45's.
    mcp1810. I will try your idea about taking the gun apart and dropping a round in. Maybe the rounds are a little long for the gun
    Thanks again for everybody's help

Cart too long?

A quick way to tell would be to take a fired case and run it through your sizing die. Then drop it into the barrel of your firearm.

If it fits flush, then load it up as usual and drop it in again.

Oops, I forgot something. It may be not too long but that the bell from the case mouth was not removed by the crimping die.

Maybe after step one above, run the brass through your crimping die (no bullet) and see if that makes it hang up in the barrel.

...Skye...

Links