Failure to feed

Failure to feed

This is a discussion on Failure to feed within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have a new Sig 220, I put my first 100 rounds though it tonight, WWB FMJ, and I had quite a few fail to ...

Thread: Failure to feed

Failure to feed

I have a new Sig 220, I put my first 100 rounds though it tonight, WWB FMJ, and I had quite a few fail to feed, but every time it was the last round in the clip. It did this with both clips. It stopped for a while, and I thought it could have been that the round was not pushed all the way back for whatever reason, but then is started up again. Kinda weird that is was always the last round, so I would think it is not the gun or the ammo but how the last round was in the mag. This is my first hand gun so I'm sure it is operator error. Anyone have any tips? The way it feed was it jammed going up the ramp, I just pulled back on the slide a bit and it went right in, if I loaded one round with the slide back, and let it go forward it never happened.

Scott

Assistant Administrator
    Could be magazines (not clips!!) ........ but anyways check inside mags for excessive grease etc . and ensure follower is smooth all ways up.

Otherwise - persevere ...... I do feel that the SIG's generally do benefit greatly from some break in. As spring loses a smidgeon of its rate too - the slide may go back just that merest amount - and also help strip that last round better.

If after 500 rounds perhaps - still problems then I'd be more concerned ... but do strip and check mags anyways.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Sooo many possibilities! A couple of questions first. Are the gun and magazines "new" or just "new to you"? If you look at the bottom of the slide, up front there are a couple of stamps. One of them will be two letters side by side. They tell what year the gun was built.
    A=0 B=1 C=2 D=3 E=4 F=5 G=6 H=7 J=8 K=9
    Even if you are the first owner, it could have been sitting in a distributors warehouse for a while. Also, are these seven or eight round magazines?
    When you say the rounds failed to feed, are we talking the slide riding over the round and going into battery on an empty chamber or did the round partially feed and get hung up, or did the slide lock open when you still had a round in the magazine?
    The more info you can provide the less I have to strain my brain!

The gun is brand new, It has not sat long as it is a Sig 220 Combat model which has not been out long, I think it showed the dealer got it in Apr. It is one 8 and one 10 round magazine. The last round partially feeds, and gets hung up.

P95 Carry, I took the mags apart and cleaned them, there did seem to be quite a bit of grease in them, so I'll see if that helps. Next time I shoot I'm putting 100 rounds of Blazer though it so I'll see if that feeds and better, but I think its just break in. I'm going to make sure to clean up the feed ramp really good. Again I'm new to hand guns so I could be missing something very simple, should the feed ramp be lightly oiled? As in just wiped over with a oily rag? Thanks for the help.

Scott

Assistant Administrator
    Feedramp IMO - keep dry - totally dry. Main reason being is oil attracts crud so while perhaps a slight benefit at first - could be less than helpful later on.

Polish is good tho - and a small mop in Dremel with toothpaste - should bring it to mirror shine safely. Degreasing mags should assist a bit - I don't like lube in mags - unless maybe a sprinkle of graphite but really, they should be free and smooth unlubed.

Hopefully another 100 rounds thru should help a lot. Oh and - altho a small point on that gun ... I personally suggest rail lube with good oil - Militech1 or Mobil1 and not grease.

My 226 ST - admittedly it's SS of course - did, with grease as rail lube, reach a point where grease/crud drag was prejudicing full slide action - gave me severe feed probs with std pressure ammo.
    Chris - P95

Ok, I'll take all that into consideration. Just another note, it seems to be feeding high, as in the nose of the bullet hits the top of the barrel, as apposed to feeding low and hitting the ramp too low. I'll see if it stops after some break in, one other option that I read, and will not try until it is broke in and still occuring, is to push the lips of the mag together a bit so that the round doesn't point up so high. We'll see, I'll give the ramp and all around a good polishing and see if that helps.

Scott

Assistant Administrator
    On factory mags feedlips should not need a tweak - but yeah a minimal tweak can alter the angle beneficially.

Other factor tho is - if slide not making it quite to full rear - the fwd inertia as it travels to close is slightly reduced ........ that can mean the round is stripped off a mere smidgeon slower and so bullet has more time to tip up between leaving mag and engaging chamber.

More break in first then some judicious experimentation if needed.
    Chris - P95

Yeah, I was thinking about that, but considering it is always the last round, I kinda ruled it out. Also I need to make sure the clip is all the way in, give it a good bump, that may explain how it is always the last round, guess we'll see soon.

Scott

Administrator
    I would suspect weak mag springs.
    Buy plus power magazine springs.
    You probably don't have enough upward magazine spring pressure to hold the last round up tight enough against the feed lips or to get the cartridge up into the extractor.

Also by the way both of my SIG pistols hate WWB ammo.

My advice in general is never judge any pistol performance on how it handles Winchester White Box.

There are reasons why it costs less.
    It's is comparatively cheap budget ammo with fairly ho-humm quality control.
    It also sets back easily.

It's great stuff if you want inexpensive ammo to shoot but, don't expect too much in the way of perfect pistol performance from it.

It's great for malfunction practice because you KNOW there is going to be at least one totally unexpected malfunction per box.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Well I put 50 thought today, Blazer Brass this time and it was much better, had a few in the beginning but then it stopped. I check it out close when it did it, the extractor was grabbing the round too low, and making it catch the top of the barrel. Hope that makes sense. I have only been loading about 3 to 4 rounds in the mag at a time to get a feel for the gun and to work out the kink, seems to be ok now.
    Thanks again for the help, I'll post if it starts up again, but it seems ok now.

Scott

Links