interesting glock part ( safety )

This is a discussion on interesting glock part ( safety ) within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I ran across this on another forum . http://www.siderlock.com/eng/siderlock.html Now i think its an elegant innovative solution to using a glock in some applications such ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: interesting glock part ( safety )

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar

interesting glock part ( safety )

I ran across this on another forum .

http://www.siderlock.com/eng/siderlock.html

Now i think its an elegant innovative solution to using a glock in some applications such as pocket carry , or for duty use where a weapon may be snatched/taken away . I am not saying everyone needs or wants one on thier glock but for many that have wanted the option of a manual safety on a glock this looks like a fairly cheap easy way to get one .

Apparently top glock is selling them for about $60.00 or so

http://www.topglock.com/catalog/triggers.htm

File this post under things that make ya go hmmmm LOL .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    I sure hope someone comes up with something like that for all of the revolvers out there, or someone's gonna end up accidentally firing his wheelgun!

Another solution in search of a problem.
    Keep away from the GLOCK trigger until you mean to fire and you won't fire inadvertently. You know, just like with a revolver.

Distinguished Member Array Stetson's Avatar
    Why would I want to mess with perfection?

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by peacefuljeffrey View Post
    I sure hope someone comes up with something like that for all of the revolvers out there, or someone's gonna end up accidentally firing his wheelgun!

Another solution in search of a problem.
    Keep away from the GLOCK trigger until you mean to fire and you won't fire inadvertently. You know, just like with a revolver.
    Yet we hear about so many more AD's with Glocks than revos. Yes, Glocks are popular, but so were revos in their time.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

I agree that the manual safety on a glock is a not so useful idea. Kinda like putting a kickstand on a tank, whats the point?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rocky View Post
    Yet we hear about so many more AD's with Glocks than revos. Yes, Glocks are popular, but so were revos in their time.
    I think the reason we hear about more ND's today is that 20-30 years ago we didn't have EIGHT different 24/7 news channels & they all have an anti/ 'if it bleeds it leads' agenda.

We also have a larger population with more police/ civilians with handguns.....The most popular being Glock.

Ask anybody with any age on them if they had or knew of a ND while they were young. If the answer is 'yes' then ask them if it made the nightly news!.... I bet it didn't! We also hear of them anecdotally, third or fourth hand!....remember the grape vine?

We also had a period of LESS careful attitude towards guns. People didn't seem to follow the FOUR RULES as carefully as when they were taught to kids a few decades ago. I daresay some of the younger crowd here at DC.com have parents who didn't shoot at all & don't even know the rules!

I have seen some good progress though, we now have better training & resources today than ever. Accidental shootings have fallen to an all time low. More people have training available to them than in the past.

Moral is: Don't blame the tool, blame the operator....or in the case of an ND....the MIS-operator.
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    HUH ?? What?? -->

There is just something about having to stick your finger inside the trigger guard,and push on a "hot" trigger to safe(HUH !) your weapon,that makes me very nauseous.

If you don't trust yourself or your abilities enough that you feel that you need to modify the existing safety on a firearm..........well........here's your sign......!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RSSZ View Post
    HUH ?? What?? -->

..........well........here's your sign......!
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

Administrator
    Well, also remember that part of the Glock standard "take down" procedure is to pull the trigger.
    I don't see that as being any sort of problem but, I'm sure it contributes a bit to the Glock ND numbers.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

OD*
    Yet we hear about so many more AD's with Glocks than revos.
    Probably because we don't carry revolvers at half-cock.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

Ain't broke - don't fix it.

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    Well, also remember that part of the Glock standard "take down" procedure is to pull the trigger.
    I don't see that as being any sort of problem but, I'm sure it contributes a bit to the Glock ND numbers.
    It's not the only gun that has to have the trigger pulled to take it down, is it?

ELEMENTARY is what you call the fact that anyone who wishes to disassemble a handgun should first avail himself of the safe technique for doing so. And regardless of the kind of gun, the very first thing to do is to verify that the gun is completely unloaded.

I dare say that if a person is of a level of ignorance that he will try to disassemble a firearm he hasn't personally unloaded, he's a danger no matter what brand or style of gun he handles. This is not about any inordinate danger of the GLOCK handgun.

Glocks are fine the way they are...if you can't handle one safely, don't own one (or any other gun for that matter).
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

VIP Member
    Answer to a problem that does not exist

I tend to agree... No need to put another gadget on a Glock. My way of thinking, if you pocket carry and are truely worried about ND when getting your gun out of your pocket or whatever, then carry with empty chamber.

It is my understanding most Israelis carry empty chamber and train to rack the slide as standard part of their draw. I do have one Israeli training video which showed that method regardless of where they carried the gun on their body.

They don't seem to complain about a lack of speed in any practical situation compared to the increased safety they seem to get in the trade-off.

The key is to practice until it is second nature regardless of how you carry.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links