Why do I keep shooting low??

This is a discussion on Why do I keep shooting low?? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I just don't understand it, I've never had this problem before but I went target shooting Sunday and shot low consistantly all day with 4 ...

I just don't understand it, I've never had this problem before but I went target shooting Sunday and shot low consistantly all day with 4 different guns! I started with the PF9, then went to a 1911, then a 357, and finally with a 41. I can't figure out what I was doing wrong!
    By the end of the day I was ready to sell all of my guns and take up croquet or something.
    Any thoughts?

By the way, I put another 50 rounds through the PF9 and it performed perfectly!

FMC

Quote Originally Posted by fishmaycraft View Post
    I just don't understand it, I've never had this problem before but I went target shooting Sunday and shot low consistantly all day with 4 different guns! I started with the PF9, then went to a 1911, then a 357, and finally with a 41. I can't figure out what I was doing wrong!
    By the end of the day I was ready to sell all of my guns and take up croquet or something.
    Any thoughts?

By the way, I put another 50 rounds through the PF9 and it performed perfectly!

FMC
    Sometimes caused by anticipating recoil and unconsciously trying to control it by holding the wrist down. This has been true in my case at least.

It's not good if you are shooting bulls eyes, but not so bad for SD - if your first is low, the second through last round you have will walk higher. It is not a bad thing to stitch them from crotch to eyeball.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

Assistant Administrator
    wmhawth I think may have that nailed!

Next time shooting - get a friend to load your semi or revo with one or two dummy rounds. Try and get a few if you haven't any. If no buddy to shoot with - load some mag's in advance for a semi - with odd dummy rounds - and then shoot as if all rounds will go.

This is ''ball and dummy" and when the gun goes ''click'' instead of ''bang'' - you will almost certainly find a flinch - which could well be ''pushing'' into the gun as you anticipate recoil. Shots will go low.

Ask yourself too as each shot goes - ''did I expect that?" - chances are you could be pulling trigger thinking ''this sucker's gonna go'' Instead a good release should have you saying - ''oh - it went''! That would be usually the better shot if your sighting is OK.

Finally - with empty gun - do some dry fire to get the imprinting of good trigger release - nice and progressive with no jerks or sudden input.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

JT
    Blessed be the Lord my rock who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Stand on a chair...

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Administrator
    Yep, not such a huge problem for rapid fire self defense because you'll naturally stitch your shots upward.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

I think you hit the nail on the head with the anticipated recoil. I'll see what I can do about it!
    Thanks for the advice, and yeah for self defense, I figured I'd just start at the crotch and work my way up.

FMC

VIP Member
    fish, are you trying to see if you hit your target? I have your problem, I am trying to see all the time if I am hitting where I am aimimg that I start to drop the front of the gun before I shoot. Concentrate on your front sight, make the shot(s) and then look at the target.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Senior Member Array incredipete's Avatar
    I was always shooting low and to the left till a LEO friend pointed out what I was doing wrong - tightening my fingers in anticipation of the bang. A little practice with that in mind, I've been fine since. I still tend to do it at first when I'm shooting a new gun for the first time.
    Gun Control means never having to say "I missed you."

- Glock 27 (.40)
    - Kel-Tec p3at (.380)
    - Beretta 96FS (.40)
    - Smith & Wesson 5906 (9mm)

jmc
    I have a similar problem. Low left, worse with the G17 than the G23. I jerk my wrist/hand in anticipation of recoil. I let my wife load the gun and told her to chamber a round or don't but not to tell me. When I squeezed the trigger there was not a round chamber but I flexed as if I was expecting recoil. I hope to overcome it soon.
    Freedom is something that dies unless it's used.

Senior Moderator
    Oh goodness, I started shooting high and to the left, then high and to the right, then straight to the left, then straight to the right, then low... AHHHHH....

I can never seen to get it just right.

I give up!

Until next week!

+1 on the dummy rounds, If you reload make a round without powder and a primer. Mark the case with a sharpie somewhere so it doesn't get mixed with good ammo. I shoot alone often, so I will lay out however many rounds that pistol shoots, in front of me on the counter and load them up without looking at the magazine. You know the dummy round is in there, but unless it's the last one, the drill will work to see if you are doing anything wrong. Sometimes when I'm not 100% focused on each shot, I am amazed at how much movement I have when anticipating the discharge. Good luck!

Links