Colt Gold Cup ?s

Colt Gold Cup ?s

This is a discussion on Colt Gold Cup ?s within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; hello everybody, looking for opinions on the colt gold cup 1911. have a chance at getting a nice one for a easonable price and was ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Colt Gold Cup ?s

Colt Gold Cup ?s

hello everybody, looking for opinions on the colt gold cup 1911. have a chance at getting a nice one for a easonable price and was wondering about anyones experiences with one. I have a kimber 1911 and a rock island armory. i figure this is either above or equal to the kimber. any insights would be great.

Fine Firearm Depending on the rear sight that was the only bad thing if you didnt pay attn the roll pin would snap and rear sight was useless till you re pinned it .. Minor annoyance on a target gun for sure ,,

But not something you would want to carry for that reason

I purchased my Series 70 Gold Cup new in 1979. It's a premium .45 target pistol and more accurate than I am. I've shot it in local bullseye matches off and on for years. Back in the early 1980's I even used it in hunter pistol silhouettes on a few occasions just for fun. I prefer to leave it as it came from the factory rather than customize it. It possesses a fine trigger and the Colt/Ellison sight has been durable in my experience.

About 10 years ago I was given a full-length guide rod by a gunsmith buddy and so I tried it out in the Gold Cup in order to see what all the fuss was about. This lasted only a few weeks before I yanked that baggage outa there and went back stock. The guide rod didn't materially affect accuracy and I hated to have to take down the pistol for cleaning.

My Gold Cup is very tight and will hang once in a blue moon. Last summer it got down-right sulky after use with several free boxes of Wolf .45 ammunition. By the time I was into the 4th box it began choking and harking. It had no use for the cheap stuff. Later I fired up the rest of the boxes of Wolf ammo in a military Colt Model 1911 which gobbled it up with glee. Tolerances are too tight in a Gold Cup for reliable use as a serious social piece in my view. That's OK. The Gold Cup was marketed for a different purpose.

The Gold Cup is wonderful to shoot with good handloaded ammunition featuring 200 grain lead SWC bullets. It also does well with carefully prepared ball equivalent or cast 230 grain handloads. A few boxes of ammo and a Gold Cup is a pleasant way to spend an afternoon at the range or in the field.

I introduced a new shooter to the joys of handgunning last summer and he wanted a 1911 type .45 pistol first thing. He got himself a new Rock Island at the Dallas Market Hall gun show. We took it out for its inaugural shoot the next day. To my surprise I found that the new Rock Island grouped just as well for me as did my Gold Cup that day. I was impressed with his Rock Island.

I envy you

I had the predecessor of the Gold Cup (The National Match) for years and used it in bullseye shooting.

That handgun had the best and smoothest trigger I have ever seen on a 1911. No movement in the trigger before, during or after the hammer fell. About 4 pound trigger.

Unfortunately, it was stolen 3 years ago. I still miss it.

Too bad that a lot of the newer shooters will never know what a good trigger really is like.

I think I insulted a gunshop guy a few months ago when after trying out the trigger on a brand new (and pricey) autoloader, I told him that when I was a little boy I had a cap gun with a better trigger than that!

....Skye....

Gold Cup fan

I have always liked Colt Gold Cups and presently own 5 of them. I use 3 for regular shooting and the other 2 are unfired safe queens. They tend to be tight, accurate guns with a good trigger.

Most Gold Cups are .45 caliber, of course, but I enjoy shooting a 10mm Gold Cup that I bought about 8 years ago. The ammo costs a little more than .45, but the gun is very accurate and has a different feel to it than the .45 caliber version. Here it is:

First gun I ever bought for myself was a Gold Cup, back in about '78 or '79. Very nice gun. I kind of wish I'd kept it. Though, for concealed carry the gun I REALLY wish I'd kept was the Lightweight Commander I had back in the mid-80s.

Be sure you get to handle it. A friend had a Gold Cup Commander with almost 2mms of slop in the rails and less than stellar fitting throughout- from the factory. (He still has it- it has been lovingly toned.)

Quote Originally Posted by pogo2 View Post
    I have always liked Colt Gold Cups and presently own 5 of them. I use 3 for regular shooting and the other 2 are unfired safe queens. They tend to be tight, accurate guns with a good trigger.

Most Gold Cups are .45 caliber, of course, but I enjoy shooting a 10mm Gold Cup that I bought about 8 years ago. The ammo costs a little more than .45, but the gun is very accurate and has a different feel to it than the .45 caliber version. Here it is:

Did you do any customizing of that delta? I had one of those but it had a different trigger and no beaver tail.

Stock gun

Quote Originally Posted by jualdeaux View Post
    Did you do any customizing of that delta? I had one of those but it had a different trigger and no beaver tail.
    No, the gun is stock. The trigger is a standard Gold Cup trigger, identical to the trigger on my other Gold Cups. The beavertail is the Colt "ducktail" that they started putting on Series 80 guns at some point. Earlier Series 80 Gold Cups have the traditional Colt "tang".

I did have a gunsmith do a trigger job on the gun, as it was a little heavy when I got it. It is now 4 pounds.

okay. I must have had one of the earlier ones then as my hammer was different as well. the trigger of mine was also different. Yours has one, large cut in it as mine had, I believe, three circle cuts.

it still shot great though. Even though it gave me a scar on the web of my hand from being pinched by the hammer.

thanks for all the input i will be looking at this gun this week and it sounds like a winner, the only other thing that i have heard about it is that it is a satin or nickel finish which some have told me tends to flake off. but everyone agrees these are nice shooters. thanks again all

Mine was made of Stainless Steel. I've never seen a satin or nickel finish on them.

Nickel finish Colt Gold Cups

Quote Originally Posted by jualdeaux View Post
    Mine was made of Stainless Steel. I've never seen a satin or nickel finish on them.
    The Series 70 Gold Cup was available in electroless nickel. I have one, shown below. The finish has not flaked, but the gun is unfired and just sits in the safe.

Most serious 2700 bullseye shooters prefer accurized government models because the cost of the accuracy job is pretty much the same for either model. So there's not much sense in buying a more expensive gun to begin with. It's also a lot easier to mount a Bo-Mar sight on a government slide.
    NRA Benefactor member
    Michigan Antique Arms Collectors life member
    Ohio Gun Collectors member

Opinions expressed here are based upon Michigan state law ONLY. Other state laws may differ. Know and observe your local laws.

i was talking more about the Delta Gold Cup line than the entire Gold Cups. sorry for any misunderstanding.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links