Dillon Press reloading woes

This is a discussion on Dillon Press reloading woes within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have a 550 loader. While Dillon has been good on service, I seem to keep breaking parts. I understand the deprime pin breaking, but ...

Thread: Dillon Press reloading woes

Lead Moderator

Dillon Press reloading woes

I have a 550 loader. While Dillon has been good on service, I seem to keep breaking parts. I understand the deprime pin breaking, but now I have found the primer cup pin broken now. Luckily , I got a replacement parts kit before. Also have had primer feed issues.
    Anyone else seem to break assorted parts on their Dillon presses? Or a m I just unlucky?
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

2. Remove Ads

Keep me posted Rocky... I've been wanting the 550 for years.

With Dillion's rep... it sounds like a fluke, but you never know... I'm interested in how it works out.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Lead Moderator
    When it works I can load fast. Just loaded 100 rnds in about 1/2 hour. everything was running smooth, then the deprime pin got loose. Took a bit to figure out what happened, but it just seems every time it is something.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Senior Member Array blueyedevil's Avatar
    Do you have your press SOLIDLY attatched to a proper loading bench? If you're getting alot of movement in the press while loading, that could be your problem, just an Idea.

Lead Moderator
    yep. 4 bolts solid.

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Hmmm, I've got a Square Deal B and so far the only thing that happened to me was a broken handle. There was an obvious casting flaw in it so I wrote it off as a fluke. They replaced it free anyways. A friend has their 650. Thousands and thousands of (competitive shooter) rounds through it. Loves the press and says his only problems with it are a few broken decapping pins so he keeps a spare around.

Hope the troubles clear up for you. If not maybe a long talk with the tech dept about sending it in to be checked over for proper factory set up?
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

??? What are you reloading, I read a while back that some brass has different flash hole's mostly military non berdan stuff. N that could be a issue, as well as loose de primer pins, I had that happen with my rock crusher N some RCBS dies in .416. Now my SDB has been running flawlessly for years and has spit out thousands of rounds with out a glitch, that is other than the time a spent primer got dropped in the indexer and I had to take it apart to get it out.
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

Lead Moderator
    Loading commercial (win, fed, pmc ) brass mostly.

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

The only times Iíve had problems with decapper pins breaking is when Iíve inadvertently mixed a few military brass in with the commercial stuff I normally load. These can also cause problems with seating new primers and possibly damage parts in the primer feed.

Military cases commonly have crimped primer pockets. This crimp requires much more pressure to be applied in the decapping operation and interferes with seating new primers.

I usually use a homemade hand punch to decap military brass and ream the primer pockets to remove the crimp before putting them through my Dillon. This eliminates decapper pin breakage and problems with seating new primers.

Another possible cause for the problems you are having might be an improperly adjusted shell plate. The shell plate is indexed into alignment with the tool head by a ball bearing under spring tension in the ram that aligns with a set of detents in the bottom of the shell plate.

When the shell plate is installed, the tension on the center bolt that holds it to the ram must be correctly set. If itís too loose, there will be too much rotational play as it indexes. This could cause misalignment with the dies in the tool head and lead to parts breakage. If itís too tight, friction prevents the ball bearing form seating into the detent all the way and fully aligning the shell plate. This too can cause misalignment and parts breakage.

Dillon makes pretty good quality stuff. More than likely the problems you are having are being caused by the brass youíre feeding it, how you have it adjusted, or how you are operating it. If you are new to reloading, you may want to have someone whoís been at it for a while look over your shoulder, and give you some pointers. Itís likely he may pick up on some things you may have missed.
    "A gentleman will seldom, if ever, need a pistol. However, if he does, he needs it very badly!" -- Sir Winston Churchill

"He who goes unarmed in paradise had better be sure that is where he is." -- James Thurber

Is everything level?

I've only had problems with screw tensions. Somtimes the screws that hold that primer thing (that's my technical term) seems to come loose and the primers pop out. I look down and notice live primers sitting where they shouldn't be.

Links