Parapleic Man Shoots Himself in My Old Gun Range

This is a discussion on Parapleic Man Shoots Himself in My Old Gun Range within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I haven't heard what the exact circumstances were, and whether it was intentional or not. It's a sad thing to happen, especially at a range. ...

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar

I haven't heard what the exact circumstances were, and whether it was intentional or not. It's a sad thing to happen, especially at a range. Champion Firearms (and Mike, the owner) do not deserve any bad press. They're all very professional there, and take steps to promote range safety.

http://www.theeagle.com/breakingnews/061307.php

Police: Man fatally shoots himself at College Station gun store

By ARENA WELCH
    Eagle Staff Writer

A 76-year-old paraplegic fatally shot himself inside a College Station shooting range Wednesday morning, authorities said.

College Station police Lt. Rodney Sigler said Robert Wilson was at Champion Firearms on Texas Avenue South just after 11 a.m. Wednesday when the incident occurred.

Two of Wilson’s family members were in the range and witnessed it while another customer was nearby, said Mike Stulce, president and co-owner of Champion Firearms. It was unclear how Wilson was related to the pair.

Wilson had frequented the nine-lane shooting range at least once a month for more than 14 years even after it moved, Stulce said.

“He was a long-time customer and a good friend,” he said. “I’m sad. We’re going to miss him, but I understand the circumstances, too.”

Crime scene tape roped off much of the parking lot in front of the shooting range Wednesday morning as officers and detectives interviewed witnesses in front of the business.

Employees at nearby Starbucks and Sprint stores said they didn’t know anything had happened until officers converged on the scene.

Wilson was pronounced dead at the College Station Medical Center with a self-inflicted gunshot wound, Sigler said, declining to say where the wound was located.

One or two customers were in the store during the shooting, Stulce said, adding that he wasn’t at the store when the shooting occurred.

A detective said Wilson recently moved into a nursing home in the area.

For more on this story, read tomorrow’s edition of The Eagle.

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    That's sad.
    I guess that's what some people's lives come to. I don't know why he was a paraplegic; some people can handle that happening in their lives and some can't. (That is, IF that was why he shot himself.)

It's just that shooting yourself, putting your loved ones through the trauma of the aftermath of such an act, that's truly cruel and inconsiderate.

I myself have never known anyone who ended up committing suicide (though I have a friend who sometimes has considered it, because stuff in his life is really rough right now, but he's remaining strong somehow). I look at it this way: I'll have all of eternity to be DEAD, later on! Why not live for as long as I naturally can, now?! Make a fraction: put the length of your life over the length of eternity. If you live 35 years, or 35,000 years, it's still infinitessimal in a ratio against eternity. Might as well eke out as much time as you can!

Any person who would end it like this, well, I guess if they can put their family through that, it must be proof of how beaten down they felt.

Sad for all involved, The rate always goes up during the Christmas
    holliday's also.
    "A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on."
    - Sir Winston Churchill

VIP Member
    Interesting, the reporter "updated" the article in the website:

Two of Wilson's family members were at the range and witnessed the suicide, and another customer was nearby, said Mike Stulce, company president and co-owner.
    Bold is mine
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Links