Next....

This is a discussion on Next.... within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Ok, I'm selling my Ruger .45 which will leave me a .45 vacancy in my stables. I've got a used Kimber CDP II on hold ...

Thread: Next....

Next....

Ok, I'm selling my Ruger .45 which will leave me a .45 vacancy in my stables. I've got a used Kimber CDP II on hold at my local shop until the end of the month (bonus time). My choices are a 1911 type pistol (the CDP) or an XD45C. I have a XD9SC, but no 1911s. I've heard of some people having problems with the 3" Kimbers and 1911's in general. Anyone here experienced any issues with them? The only XD45C that they had was without night sights and was cheaper than the CDP. He said he could order one, but didn't know when it might come in. Is is worth it to buy it now and add the sights later? He said it would add around $100 for the factory night sights.

Primarily HD pistol, some carry if I feel like it. I'm not practiced with a 1911 cocked & locked either so that will keep me from carrying for a while.

Feel free to throw out any opinions or experiences.
    CARRY GUNS:
    S&W 638, Ruger LCP, Kimber Ultra CDP

2. Remove Ads

I have a Kimber Pro-CarryII that I've had for quite a while now and put a number of cases through with no problems so far. I also trust my old Colt Gov. MarkIV Series 70 100%.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    My .45 inventory consists of.
    P220
    HK Tactical .45 W/ AAC
    G21 SF.

Out of those guns I like the Tactical its Extremely accurate.
    But I ill take my G21 SF any day of the week. The gun to "ME" feels like it recoils like a .40 and you have 13+1
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

VIP Member
    In .45acp:

Glock 30
    Springfield 1911-A1
    Kimber Pro-Carry HDII
    TTi Custom 1911
    S&W 4516
    Colt 1911-A1

There are plenty of likely candidates........
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

I have eight of them

Grab the Kimber!
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

Senior Member Array cockedlocked01's Avatar
    If the Kimber's at a good price, grab it, if not, well it's whatever you want. You can probably find used 1911's as time goes on. I'm not sure you'll find as many used XDs on the market, but you never know.

I've bought 3 of the 4 Glocks that I have owned, used (2 of the 3 were less than a yr. old). I recently bought a 2 yrs. old Para LW LTC used with a bunch of extras (10 mags & 4 mos. old Brommeland Max-Con V holster).

Kimbers & XDs are very good guns, & because so many are sold, you probably have a greater chance of finding either used.

If you were looking for a predominantly CC gun, I'd say go for the XD, but if this a P-T CC & usually range gun, buy the Kimber if it's a good price.

As to sights, I think the typical night sights are around $75. For $100 or so, you could buy TruGlo TFO night sights (Tritium Fiber Optic). IMHO, those or the XS big dot night sights are the best.
    "Use human means as though divine ones didn't exist, and divine means as though there were no human ones." Baltasar Gracian
    Integrated Close Combat
    NRA Member
    Glock 19 & 26, Kahr CM9 & P45, Para P12, Kel-Tec P-32, S&W 442, & Dan Wesson 14-2.

I think it should be personal preference...

I have two 1911's in .45 both compacts, one single stack and one double stack.

I also thing the Glock 30 or XD45c would be Excellent Choices as well!
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

I've got an HK USP 45 and here in a week i'll have a Taurus PT1911, will be my first 1911...only shot one once when I was a kid and I'm pretty sure it was a Colt...my Dad's Army issue....been in love with them ever since. But as far as my other .45...love my USP, shoots very well for its size, but a lil bulky to carry IMO.
    Better to be tried by 12, than carried by 6

Aviation Machinist's Mate USN 93-97
    NAF Atsugi, Japan CVW 5
    CV62 USS Independence
    HS-12 Wyverns, VS-21 Fighting Redtails

Which Kimber?

I have two...a Pro CDP II, and my EDC...an Ultra CDP II...

You'll love the Kimber...I really like mine...never a problem with either!

Stay armed...stay safe!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I'm hearing some horror stories about the less than full-size series II Kimbers (See all the 1911 forums and I'm sure you'll find at least a dozen threads). I just asked the place, that I have in on lay-away with, what their return policy was and they said I had 30 days for function. So I'll probably try that to see what the true story is. I hope I don't need to use that because I really like the look and feel of the gun.

I know you have to take a lot of net stuff with a grain of salt, but their were a lot of people with the exact same stories.
    CARRY GUNS:

Ditto on Kimber. My Ultra Carry CDPII has never failed. Also have a Springfield 1911-A1 and a Colt 1991-A1 Series 80. They also function flawlessly. Springfield has an EMP which is a carbon copy of the Kimber Ultra Carry I think it's about $150 cheaper than the Kimber.

Like the EMP, but its only in 9mm at the moment. And they just happened to have a used Ultra CDP II and also a used Ultra Raptor. I like the melted slide better.

edit: The CDP II that I'm looking at is actually a CDP (1st evolution) so my worries about the reliability and problems are a little less now. It was manufactured 7/2000.
    Last edited by prawls; June 15th, 2007 at 12:51 PM.
    CARRY GUNS:

Links