The ''safe queen'' debate!

This is a discussion on The ''safe queen'' debate! within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Another thread prompts me to raise this - and I know we have two basic camps - ''All guns are made to be shot, period ...

View Poll Results: Would you keep any gun as a safe queen?

Voters
194. You may not vote on this poll
  • No - never have and never will!

56 28.87%
  • Yes - sometimes if valuable.

67 34.54%
  • Maybe - partial 'queen'status (shot little).

71 36.60%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: The ''safe queen'' debate!

Assistant Administrator

The ''safe queen'' debate!

Another thread prompts me to raise this - and I know we have two basic camps -

''All guns are made to be shot, period .... no safe queens for me".

"Some guns can be shot very little if at all, and are worth preserving"

I am mostly in camp one but do stray into camp two! Examples - My first R9 was very early and while shot modestly at first is now kept unused - to keep it in nice shape.

I also have a nice M29 Smith - it has been shot and will be shot again but it spends most time in the safe - I can blast .44 mag thru my SRH for fun time! I wish to preserve it.

Bottom line - I am one of the strange creatures who gains pleasure thru possession - which means I do not have to shoot the snot out of all my guns, far from it. Just a few are coddled - keeping their value for many decades to come hopefully but each in that category is and always will remain a potential (perhaps infrequent) shooter.

You can make a vote too.!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

2. Remove Ads

sure why not ive got 2 ive never shot make that 3 i think

Administrator
    I agree that guns are made to be shot, and most of them I own serve a working purpose. The others are investments. I have a few that are worth a lot of money, and two that are considered almost priceless. As long as you have a true understanding of what an investment is and is not, safe queens are OK by me.

On second thought, outside of defense or hunting applications, we all have more than one gun because we enjoy guns. Some people like to shoot, others enjoy the craftsmanship or historical aspects and for a lot of us its a combo. I am a combo guy, but I cant knock anyone for enjoying their guns as they see fit. If you want to let it sit in your safe, go ahead its your gun. If you want to shoot it, shoot it... Its not my gun. Just enjoy your guns.

I keep adding to this post... Some of the guns in my safe are safe queens because the were purchased for the sole purpose of being passed on to my kids or grandkids. They are not particularly valuable (right now anyway) or pretty, I'm just taking a educated guess that they will be scarce in years to come.
    Last edited by SIXTO; June 15th, 2007 at 10:22 PM.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Senior Member Array BruceGibson's Avatar
    I'd like to think I could...but I can't. If I got it, I gotta shoot it, and I gotta pack it. It's a weakness I reckon.

I believed in the logic until a friend told me to shoot it because "when you die or if it gets stolen, somebody else will shoot it anyways."

Lead Moderator
    To each their own, but I will never own a gun that is never fired. My most valued guns are those handed down from my dad or other family. By the time I get em they are well worn and used. Lots of character.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Assistant Administrator
    "when you die or if it gets stolen, somebody else will shoot it anyways."
    There is some logic to that - bit like why keep a special vintage wine for ever - drink it and enjoy!! Guns are a special category tho IMO.

However, Sixto makes a point re keeping for future generations and I do take that into account in part. Perhaps part too is knowing that the ''queen'' sits there safe and sound but - nonetheless it is still always at the ready as a shooter if need be.

Perhaps revo's and rare 1911's also have a ''fondle factor'' too - the pleasure derived from looking at and feeling real craftsmanship, the beauty of engineering ..... but still the knowledge that they will shoot if so desired.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

JD
    Administrator
    Yeah Sixto, I seem to recall you have a little somethin' somehtin' sitting in a safe deposit box...

Can't blame you on that one, I think that is the Queen of safe queens.

I have one safe queen right now, and it's my WWII Ithaca 1911A1.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    Yeah Sixto, I seem to recall you have a little somethin' somehtin' sitting in a safe deposit box...

Can't blame you on that one, I think that is the Queen of safe queens.

I have one safe queen right now, and it's my WWII Ithaca 1911A1.
    Yup, thats one of my queens. I dont even want to shoot it, just because of what would be involved in even getting it ready. Its wrapped and packed up so well, that I doubt that even I will ever see it in all its glory very often. Its kind of sad and stupid if I really think about it. Oh well, I would hate my self if I allowed anything to happen to it.
    It will make someone very happy someday.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member Array Dakotaranger's Avatar
    The only way I'd have a safe queen is if it was something rare like Stonewall Jackson's La Matt or one of the Duke's gun. (which would be a miricle.)

Other than these if it was a special firearm it would be rarely fired.

I have a Cobra Derringer that I don't shoot to much, but I always wanted a Derringer and I've heard some bad things about quality. BUT $130 for it vs. $400 for a Bond Derringer I can afford to keep it as a semi-safe queen. There are somethings that I can't convince myself to pay the more than $200 dollars for, a derringer is one of them, even if with safety issues.
    "[T]he people are not to be disarmed of their weapons.
    They are left in full possession of them."

Zacharia Johnson (speech in the Virginia Ratifying Convention,25 June 1778)"The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." ~Alexander Hamilton

I answered no - but that was only in relation to guns I buy for myself.

I (we) have a few unfired revolvers in the safe that have never been fired since they were given to my wife at her birth.

But if I buy a gun it's going to get used, a lot.

I don't buy or trade for any gun that's not going to be a shooter. Partly because I'm a practical kinda guy and partly cause I'm to poor to do otherwise!
    “You come at me with a sword and with a spear. But I come at you in the name of the LORD of hosts, the God of the armies of Israel, whom you have defied. This day the LORD will deliver you into my hand, and I will strike you and take your head from you". 1 Samuel 17, 45-46
    Brian

I voted yes... of course, right now.. my whopping 3 gun collection isn't big enough to have a safe queen (and, well, I don't really have a safe yet).. but some day I hope to find a few weapons that are worth holding on to, to pass down to the kids.

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    I don't own any guns that anyone would call collectible.
    The only gun I have that I really don't bother to fire anymore is my S&W 411, which was the first gun I ever had. Part of why I don't want to use it is that it's sentimental (or something). Plus, I like my other guns better.

I couldn't select a poll answer because none of them really apply to my situation. However, I'll say that I am not opposed to having some guns that are "safe queens" if they really warrant being so.

The gun that I have that does not get shot is not because of monetary value, but because of sentimental value. It is an old Iver Johnson .22 revolver with interchangable .22 lr/.22 mag. cylinders. It was my grandfathers and he gave it to me when I ws born. It had some mechanical problems when I was younger that were fixed, but it has not been shot in probably 25 years. I don't want to take the chance of breaking it, because it has so much sentimental value.
    "To be prepared for war is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace" George Washington

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links