Name This Gun

This is a discussion on Name This Gun within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Hello, So this isn't strictly a "name this gun" game because, for starters, I don't know what the heck it is and I'd like someone ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Name This Gun

Senior Member Array Joshua M. Smith's Avatar

Name This Gun

Hello,

So this isn't strictly a "name this gun" game because, for starters, I don't know what the heck it is and I'd like someone to tell me.

I recently had the opportunity to visit local police station and, while waiting to be interviewed, I was granted permission to shoot some photos for my own personal use and limited internet use. I got some good ones of past police chiefs and issue badges and shields going back into the 1800s, but this caught my eye:

While we've had numerous officers wounded in the line of duty, this gentleman is, to the best of my knowledge, the only officer we've had killed in the line of duty.

His badge...

And his sidearm...

I'd really like to know what kind of gun that is. I couldn't quite make out the printing on the side due to glare from the overhead lights. I'm almost thinking it's a 1905 in .38 Colt, but I could be very wrong. Additionally, I'm confused as to why, if cocked'n'locked was allowed at that point, he didn't go with a 1911 or similar.

Any takers?

Thanks,

Josh <><

2. Remove Ads

sure looks like a 1905 in 38 acp to me

VIP Member
    it seems to be a 1903

Fom Collectorfirearms.com
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Bud White View Post
    sure looks like a 1905 in 38 acp to me
    Thats what my money is on. It is an odd choice for that time frame, it was mostly revolvers at that time. Perhaps it was a carry what you have type of deal, who knows.
    "Just blame Sixto"

miggy beat me with pics

this one is a 45 though

Did it say anywhere if the jammed weapon contributed to his death?
    why would they display it in that condition?
    Colt Officers ACP
    Smith & Wesson 649-5
    Smith & Wesson 637-2

Colt 1903 Pocket Hammer .38 ACP

Senior Member Array Joshua M. Smith's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kruz View Post
    Did it say anywhere if the jammed weapon contributed to his death?
    why would they display it in that condition?
    It doen't look like it's jammed; it looks like whoever put the display together just used a case to hold the slide partially open. I almost wonder if he was a "gun guy" due to his preference for automatics.

I did find this:

Officer Clinton Maxwell Osthimer
    Wabash Police Department
    Indiana
    End of Watch: Tuesday, January 19, 1943

Biographical Info
    Tour of Duty: 4 years
    Badge Number: 7

Incident Details
    Cause of Death: Gunfire
    Date of Incident: Tuesday, January 19, 1943
    Weapon Used: Handgun; .38 caliber
    Suspect Info: Sentenced to life

Officer Clinton Osthimer was shot and killed after making a traffic stop. Officer Osthimer and another officer had stopped a vehicle for running a stop sign and drunken driving after a short pursuit. The suspect was arrested and while being transported to the jail, produced a .38 caliber semi-automatic revolver. The suspect then shot Officer Osthimer in the throat severing his jugular vein and attempted to shoot the other officer, but the gun jammed. When the other officer knocked the gun from the suspect's hand, he exited the squad car and fled on foot, but was recaptured about two blocks away. Officer Osthimer was transported to Wabash County Hospital and was dead on arrival.

At the time of his arrest, unknown to the officers, the suspect was driving a stolen vehicle, wanted for larceny and was AWOL from the military. The suspect was convicted of murder and sentenced to life in prison without parole. The suspect escaped from prison in 1969, but was found living under an assumed name in Alabama ten years later. While awaiting extradition back to Indiana, the suspect died.

Officer Osthimer had served with the Wabash Police Department for four years.
    So he was shot to death with a .38 caliber handgun. Because the suspect's weapon jammed, I'm guessing it was a semi-auto pistol, as opposed to a "semi-automatic revolver" as was reported.

I almost wonder if that pistol was the one used to kill him, but how would that make sense, displaying the murder weapon instead of his sidearm?

Hmmm....

Josh <><

Just from looking at the displays, I'd be willing to bet that that gun is the murder weapon, not the officers gun. The write up about the incident says the weapon was a semi auto, a .38 and it jammed. This gun is a aemi auto, a .38 and it is jammed. And the tape on the grip looks more bad guy-ish to me than cop-ish.

If I had to bet, I would bet that the police officer was armed with a .38 revolver, with round nose lead bullets. Maybe a S&W M&P probably.

It is weird that the display might show the gun that killed him though. Maybe as a reminder to other officers to search the suspect before you stuff him.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Senior Moderator
    +1 Sig P239 and the 1905 .38 ACP Colt
    Sometimes I wonder who the old man in the mirror is....

Lord, Grant me a good sword and no need to use it.

Quote Originally Posted by flmitchell View Post
    Colt 1903 Pocket Hammer .38 ACP
    Nope, the one in the picture has an external hammer, the 03 hammer is inside the slide. The 1903 is one fine little pistol though, there is a nice one in .32 I've gotten to shoot.

My vote is also for the 1905.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Lead Moderator
    Interesting, does seem to be the murder weapon(or most likely anyway). 1905 , I would guess as well.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

http://coltautos.com/pdf/Colt1903h.pdf

password: coltautos.com

VIP Member
    The shape of the grips seems to indicate that the pistol is a 1903. The rounded bottom of the grip looks more like a 1903. The 1905 grip looks more squared at the base like a 1911.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

The 1905 was made in .45.... The original post indicated it is a .38, as does the rounds in the picture...

I believe buckeye07 is thinking of the Colt Model 1903 Hammerless....

This appears to be the Colt 1903 pocket hammer made by Browning
    Last edited by flmitchell; June 17th, 2007 at 06:24 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links