My Survival Battery of Guns and thoughts on Survival (Long)

This is a discussion on My Survival Battery of Guns and thoughts on Survival (Long) within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; While this is about my gun collection I am wanting to build, it is also about my thoughts on preparedness for survival. I started thinking ...

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
    Senior Moderator

While this is about my gun collection I am wanting to build, it is also about my thoughts on preparedness for survival. I started thinking about becoming prepared when I started working on CEP - Family Readiness Guide for my work. My wife and I have a 2 month supply of food stored plus what we have in the kitchen. Most of or stored food is canned and does not or requires little water. We are slowly building up a food supply as outlined in the Crisis Preparedness Handbook.

Since my son was born I have rethought the guns I would like to have and why those guns. I am interested in comments and other peoples list to help me flesh out mine own.

First What I have:

Handguns

2 .357 mag (Taurus and Rossi) one snubnose one full size.
    1 9mm Taurus PT-92
    1 .380 Makarov
    1 Ruger Gov't Model II .22LR
    1 SSA Clone .45LC

Long Guns
    1 Model 70 Winchester in 7mm Rem mag
    1 FAL (Century Arms L1A1 Sporter) 7.62 NATO
    1 Ishpore Enfield 2A 7.62 NATO
    2 Mosin Nagant's 7.62R (M44, 91/30)
    1 Remington 870 12ga
    1 Mossberg 500 20ga
    1 Winchester semi auto.22LR
    1 M-1 carbine .30 carbine

What I want:
    1 more .357mag revolver 3 or 4 inch barrel
    1 9mm (Browning Hi-Power or quality clone)
    1 Ruger BlackHawk .357/9mm conversion
    1 more M-1 carbine.
    1 more 12ga Shotgun (Mossberg 500 or Rem 870)
    1 .357 carbine (Pump or lever action)
    1 Bolt-action 22LR

I went away from 5.56mm because my wife really likes the M1 carbine and with CMP releasing them now I can pick up a good Inland for less than $600, plus I have reloading dies for .30 carbine.

My workhorse rounds will be .357/.38 and 7.62 NATO, with 9mm and .30 carbine being defensive rounds. The 12ga and .22LR are general purpose rounds and the Nagants are to arm others or general back-up. Nagants are cheap and tough, I will probably get a M-38 to round out my collection and a couple of more sealed tins of 7.62R to go with it.

So what is you list, and/or thoughts?

PS I'm not prepared enough to be a survivalist
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Surprised there's no AK, listed. They're indestructible and ammo is plentiful. Just one thought.

Senior Moderator
    There is no AK listed becuase they don't fit me. Plus they are less accurate than my M1 carbines and would be one additional caliber to feed.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

bae
    That's a whole lot of firearms for a fellow who only has 2 months of food tucked away. If I were you, I'd get up to a year's supply before buying another gun - you can buy a whole lot of wheat, rice, beans, and honey for what one of those DCM M1 carbines will cost ya...

Senior Moderator
    I have become to believe over the past 2 years that we are headed toward a time of world-wide shortages of fuel and power along with economic collapse and instability.

I do not think that it is TEOTWAWKI but it will be hard times. I have come to this conclusion because I beileve that world refining capacity of crude oil is close to its peak capacity and demand is growing at a rate that can not be met. With out cheap fuel the rapidly growing economy of China will crash and send shock waves throughout the rest of the worlds markets.

Now add to an unstable world economy a Influenza Pandemic and you will get chaos for a limited time. Do I think this will happen....well I don't wear my seatbelt because I think I will be in an accident but I want to limit my losses in case I am.

Part of my thinking this is becuase I get paid to help think of ways the Alabama Department of Public Health can respond to different crisis. It has lead me to be a wee bit paranoid.

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    That's a whole lot of firearms for a fellow who only has 2 months of food tucked away. If I were you, I'd get up to a year's supply before buying another gun - you can buy a whole lot of wheat, rice, beans, and honey for what one of those DCM M1 carbines will cost ya...

True, each grocery trip we add more to our stockpile. I don't have a mill so no unprocessed grains yet but they are coming. The good thing is we have 6 cats so we don't worry about rodents.

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Senior Member Array Daddy Warcrimes's Avatar
    I'm hoping you already have that carbine on order, because the CMP sold out of Inlands.
    "and suddenly I can not hold back my sword hand's anger"

DaddyWarcrimes.com

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Daddy Warcrimes View Post
    I'm hoping you already have that carbine on order, because the CMP sold out of Inlands.
    Say it ain't so!!!

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Distinguished Member Array Doc Holliday's Avatar
    How much water do you have stored?

I have over 100 gallons in food safe 5 gallon jugs.

As far as your inventory goes, I think that what you have would more than keep you in the fight for a long time.

4 very common rounds that you might want to think about having in the inventory just for the sake of the avaliblity of ammo are .223(If not an AR then perhaps an Mini-14?), 7.62X39 (Why not a SKS if you don't like the AK?) .30-30, and .30-06.
    Why Ike, whatever do you mean? Maybe poker's just not your game Ike. I know! Let's have a spelling contest!

I, too, ponder this subject alot. I have 3 - .45 pistols. 1- S&W full sized 9mm pistol. 1- .38 snubnose and 1- 4" .357 revolver. 2 - .22 handguns one is a s/a revolver in convertable . 2 - .22 mag mini revolvers.
    shottys---- 1- 12 guage, 1- 20 guage, and 1- 16 guage.
    rifles----- 1- .303 brit enfield. 1- .22 mag. pump. 1- .22 LR semiauto. 1- .17mach2 -------
    --------------------
    The one I think alot to rid of or keep is my beloved .380 mustang For a 9mm (think Kahr PM9). and to get a another shotty strictly for house use (12 ga. REM 870 tactical), and some sort of small centerfire such as a .223 maybe.
    Any thoughts and ideas ???.....
    " Refuse to be a victim, make sure there is a round chambered ! "

Just call me a pessimistic optimist !

U.S. Navy vet 1981-1992

Quote Originally Posted by pgrass101 View Post
    True, each grocery trip we add more to our stockpile. I don't have a mill so no unprocessed grains yet but they are coming. The good thing is we have 6 cats so we don't worry about rodents.
    ...and cats can be tasty...

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Senior Member Array Daddy Warcrimes's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pgrass101 View Post
    Say it ain't so!!!
    Can't do that. As of may 21st they aren't accepting orders for the Inlands.
    http://www.odcmp.com/rifles/carbine.htm

There will however be Underwoods, IBMs, Quality Hardware, National Postal Meter, Saginaws, Standard Products, Winchesters, and Rockolas in September. RUMINT has it that they'll go for more than the $495 Inlands.

I'm sure there will be plenty on Gunbroker for around $600 in the coming months.
    "and suddenly I can not hold back my sword hand's anger"

DaddyWarcrimes.com

I too, ponder the potential of a temporary shut-down of foods and services...

I don't know if I would need 35 guns, just a few with ample ammo...
    I also feel that small 'end of the street' protective units would be much more effective for 'home turf' protection as compared to an individual home, at least in our neighborhood.

We do have months of food, water, gas, etc...

These ideas have some extremely thorough threads if you search them out...

Stay armed...stay safe!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Holliday View Post
    How much water do you have stored?

I have over 100 gallons in food safe 5 gallon jugs.

As far as your inventory goes, I think that what you have would more than keep you in the fight for a long time.

4 very common rounds that you might want to think about having in the inventory just for the sake of the avaliblity of ammo are .223(If not an AR then perhaps an Mini-14?), 7.62X39 (Why not a SKS if you don't like the AK?) .30-30, and .30-06.
    I do have a SKS and left it off the list for some reason. I like the SKS but my wife loves the M1 carbine so that is why I want another carbine.

I live within 200 yards of the Tallapoosa river and have 5 gallons of bleach. Water is not a problem now.

We want a small farm were we can grow some (at least 1/3) of our food ourselves. In our current house we don't have room for a vetgetable garden.

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    ...and cats can be tasty...

ret
    and like Ben Franklin said "All cats taste like chicken in the dark."
    "If you so much as bunny hop I'll cut your heart out!" Billy Bob Thornton in The Last Real Cowboys

"I carry a gun for the same reason that I carry health insurance and a cell phone - be prepared."

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Links