Colt 1911 Thumb Safety Question.

This is a discussion on Colt 1911 Thumb Safety Question. within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I was dissasembling my Commander when I noticed I could pry the Lefty side of the Ambi-safety off. Is this all that I need to ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I was dissasembling my Commander when I noticed I could pry the Lefty side of the Ambi-safety off. Is this all that I need to do to get rid of it? Or is there some other piece that should replace that? There's a hole there. If thats it, I can put the grips back on the gun and just have a regular righty.
    N.R.A. Member
    G.O.A. Member
    Unified Sportsmen of Florida Member

JD
    Administrator
    Well you should replace it with a standard one sided thumbsafety just to keep the whole from getting caked up, that and I think you need the longer "pin" of the thumbsafety to keep it securely in the hole.

AS JD said ya want one the Shaft goes all the way though

I would buy a Ed brown or Wilson you do have to file to fit but should not take more than a hour your first time

Just go ahead and get a new single sided safety, like Bud said it's not too tough to do, just get a good set of Nicholson small files and have at it. Heck, now that I think of it I have an extra blued single sided safety. It's MIM, but seems to be a nice part all the same. It's yours if you want it, it'll be a good piece to practice on.
    - Kurt
    “Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it.” ~Pericles of Athens
    Primary Carry - Colt Commander .45 in a Brommeland Max-Con V

Also i meant to say to keep a cheapy one to practice on also so if you screw it up it wasnt the expensive one

I Fubared the first one i did

shoot, I'd mail you my series 80 stainless Officer's (righty) to install, if you would send the ambi, after you make sure mine fits yours. Would be nice to have a spare if the tiny dovetail fails on the ambi(I'm port side).

Man that gun is shot! You better send it to me for proper disposal, I couldn't bear the thought of you keeping it and risking shooting it again!

FMC

Administrator
    If you don't feel that you have any need of an ambidextrious safety then absolutely dump it. None of my 1911s have an ambi safety.
    Since it's a fairly critical part I would not use a MIM replacement part.
    For sure you should just not take off the opposite side.
    You need to keep the grip safety properly in place.
    Hit the Brownell's catalog and just buy a standard thumb safety.
    Keep it simple and just drop in a new forged part.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

VIP Member
    So what is wrong with an ambi safety?

JD
    Administrator

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by nn View Post
    Well some don't like it becasue when holstered, the right side of the gun is open and "something" can disengage the thumbsafety, some just don't feel the need to pay "X" amount more for something so simple as an ambi safety.

Some people are the "purists" that think anything other than JMBs's original design is heresey, well they think the 1911A1 is ok, but anyhthing esle is just not needed...

Take your pick...

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by nn View Post
    OOORRR.. they say, "I'm right handed, and I'll NEVER use an ambi safety, so why bother with one?"

I was of the above persuasion until I hurt my shooting hand and was learning to do a lot with my left hand...

I'll be keeping my ambi safety, thank you very much! You just never do know when you are going to need it.

But as said, if you don't want the ambi safety, then get a real single-sided safety.

[QUOTE=JD;405599]Well some don't like it becasue when holstered, the right side of the gun is open and "something" can disengage the thumbsafety, some just don't feel the need to pay "X" amount more for something so simple as an ambi safety.[QUOTE]

Well, well well... lots of good info and insight. I originally felt just as JD described above. But in hindsight, after reading Lima's post, it may be a good reason to keep it on.

MY original reasons were:
    Im a Right handed shooter. I usually shoot with my right hand unless at the range occasionally. The left side of the ambi is facing the world when its holstered. I sit down, get in vehicles, you name it. Lots of moving around and doing different things. I was concerned about the safety being pushed off and the single action just waiting to be unleashed. (I know, i know, keep your finger out of the trigger guard and you have nothing to worry about) Its not my finger though, its anything that comes into contact with the trigger for any given reason if the safety is off.

OTOH, I guess I could keep it incase something is wrong with my right hand. Even if my right hand is hurt somehow, I only own right handed holsters, so even if I draw with my left hand from around behind my back, I would possibly need the ambi. I just dont like it because its sticking out for anything to push it off. I just probably wont carry it because of the ambi decision that I have not made yet. I carry a Glock every day and wanted to maybe switch out and see how the commander worked out for me. Looks like I'll continue to Glock it up for now until I get it figured out.
    N.R.A. Member
    G.O.A. Member
    Unified Sportsmen of Florida Member

JD
    Administrator
    Well you know, you can get a replacement ambi that has a slimmer "pad" on the right side of the gun to keep it from possibly being accidently disengaged.

Most of my 1911s have an ambi, my Colt has a standard thickness ambi, while my Kimber has the slimmer "pad" on the right side, neither has been accidently disengaged, and I get in and out of cars and crawl in and out of different situations all day.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by floridaguy911 View Post
    The left side of the ambi is facing the world when its holstered. I sit down, get in vehicles, you name it. Lots of moving around and doing different things. I was concerned about the safety being pushed off and the single action just waiting to be unleashed. (I know, i know, keep your finger out of the trigger guard and you have nothing to worry about) Its not my finger though, its anything that comes into contact with the trigger for any given reason if the safety is off.
    Of course, a good holster always protects the trigger from manipulation so even if your safety somehow gets disengaged, there's no reason as to why any trigger manipulation should occur if it's still in your holster.

I'm a fidgety person, I'm always playing with something. Sometimes I stand there and just engage and disengage my thumb safety while it's in my holster. I have absolutely no fear of doing this because I still know that the grip safety is secure and the trigger is protected by my holster.

I have carried cocked and unlocked before, getting in and out of cars, you name it, never had a single problem.

I have never had a moment when I looked down and found my thumb safety to be disengaged other than the time I simply forgot to engage it before I holstered. Again, I felt no fear or worry, because I know my gun won't do anything I don't make it do.

While the other half of the ambi safety is out toward the world, remember that you have THREE other safeties to get around before your gun will fire: the grip safety, the safety of the holster, and YOUR BRAIN/trigger finger.

However, I would suggest that if you ever do decide to switch from carrying the glock to carrying the Colt, do some extensive drawing practice and practice disengaging that safety from the holster. You'd be amazed how your brain will skip over that part when you are concentrating on something else unless you've practiced, practiced, practiced.

You never want to pull the trigger and wonder what's wrong, only to look at your gun and start kicking yourself because you never disengaged the safety, I know, I've been there. Embarrassing.

Quote Originally Posted by limatunes View Post
    OOORRR.. they say, "I'm right handed, and I'll NEVER use an ambi safety, so why bother with one?"

I was of the above persuasion until I hurt my shooting hand and was learning to do a lot with my left hand...

I'll be keeping my ambi safety, thank you very much! You just never do know when you are going to need it.

But as said, if you don't want the ambi safety, then get a real single-sided safety.
    +1 here. I have a broken right hand right now, and therefore I have not carried my 1911 in 3 weeks. Lucky I have a Glock as well. But this situation has forced me to consider ambi safeties.
    Dave

"When among wild beasts, if they menace you, be a wild beast."
    -Herman Melville

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links