Rust!

This is a discussion on Rust! within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; The cancer of the firearm world. My 1976 Browning Hi-Power has been locked in the safe for the last few months. I took it out ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rust!

Rust!

The cancer of the firearm world. My 1976 Browning Hi-Power has been locked in the safe for the last few months. I took it out the other night and there is quite a bit of rusting apparent.

It was wrapped in a silicone gun-cloth and well oiled. Silica gel packs in the safe.

How do you protect your guns for short-term storage (ie. not cosmo).

Thanks!

(btw, am looking into Duracoat, Gun-Kote, parkerizing, etc to bring my baby back.)
    "If you so much as bunny hop I'll cut your heart out!" Billy Bob Thornton in The Last Real Cowboys

"I carry a gun for the same reason that I carry health insurance and a cell phone - be prepared."

2. Remove Ads

JD
    Administrator
    Well short of selling everything and buying Glocks, what you could do is get a dehumidifier rod for your safe, similar to THIS ONE, rust is the bane of our firearms existance, I don't know of anyhthing else to add with your current precautions, other than the rod.

I will say that wrapping your gun in anyhting that can attract moisture is a bad idea, even if it is impregnated with oil.

What kind of oil were you using?

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post

What kind of oil were you using?
    Just RemOil. But I've used that for as long as I've owned this bhp (same safe) and have not seen this before.

I have not used the silicone gun cloth as a wrap before - only to wipe down. I thought that since it would be in the safe for a while that it would be a good idea. I guess I was wrong.
    "If you so much as bunny hop I'll cut your heart out!" Billy Bob Thornton in The Last Real Cowboys

"I carry a gun for the same reason that I carry health insurance and a cell phone - be prepared."

JD
    Administrator
    Get a rod like like listed above, and just use the cloth for wipe downs not storage, If you're going to use a wrap, it needs to be non poreous and DO NOT use a bag, moisture can still get in a bad and cause trouble.

But since we're talking short term, the addition of the rod will be a big help and you won't have to coat anything in too much oil.

Thanks for the info.

Ron

Administrator
    Well, the first thing you'll want to do is get rid if the rust that is already on there.

The finest steel wool and any good oil will take it off without harming the blueing at all (if it is a blued firearm)

Then use an automotive or furniture paste wax that is Pure Carnuba Wax.

Do not use any water based wax emulsions.

Paste wax it and then lightly buff it with a soft cloth.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by Glock 'em down View Post
    I was just kidding. Seems like my opinions, comments and sense of humor is a little too much for you guys sometimes.

I'll try to post less so the threads won't stray off topic.
    Don't put us all in the same bucket, GED, your sense of humor is understood and appreciated. I just didn't want this to turn into a "sell that real steel gun and buy plastic crap like me!" thread.

Administrator

Please Note

Yes, Please Do stop it with the Buy A Glock answers to forum questions.

You're not the first forum member to do it and I'm sure you'll not be the last to do it either but, they are all going to be deleted from this point forward.

It's different in the Off Topic & Humor area of the forum but, when members are asking serious questions in the main area of the forum it really is disruptive.

It is also getting very old and it's usually always the Glockaholics that are the main culprits though the "Buy A Colt" & "Buy A .45" folks do it but, to a far lesser degree.

The first 100 times it was funny but, it's grown very stale and moldy now.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Humidity and condensation

I think the biggest cause of rust is humid air and a cool location, so that some of the water vapor in the air condenses as liquid water on a cool surface. The typical example is the condensation on your ice filled drinking glass on a warm summer day.

I notice that the poster lives in Indiana, which can have very high humidity in the summer - the 90 degree, 90 percent humidity air is saturated with water vapor which will condense quickly on a 60 degree surface, such as your gun sitting in a safe in the basement. Then the gun starts to rust.

If you lived in Arizona, where the humidity can be 10% in the summer, and kept your safe in the garage where the temperature is 100 degrees, you probably would never have condensation or rust.

I would suggest keeping your gun safe in a warmer spot, and using the various dehumidification techniques mentioned by other posters. And of course the use of ample lubrication on the gun surfaces will help as well.

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    Well, the first thing you'll want to do is get rid if the rust that is already on there.

The finest steel wool and any good oil will take it off without harming the blueing at all (if it is a blued firearm)

Then use an automotive or furniture paste wax that is Pure Carnuba Wax.

Do not use any water based wax emulsions.

Paste wax it and then lightly buff it with a soft cloth.
    Yes, it's blued, but original blueing - probably only 70% or so. I'll try as you suggested to clean it up. At least to protect it until I figure out what I want to do with it.

Lead Moderator
    Another thought, i have seen blue bags that are suppose to keep the gun from rusting. Kind of a ziploc type bag that seals. Not sure how well they work as I have never tried one. Rust sucks!
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

JD
    Administrator
    My Springfield 1911A1 has a front strap that is prone to rusting, I think I'm eventually just going to get the whole gun refinished by Robar, I'll have to give QKs method a try first...

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by PapaScout View Post

It was wrapped in a silicone gun-cloth and well oiled.
    Let it get air.Never store a firearm in anything that can hold moisture.Oily rags,cloth or foam lined gun cases,zippered pistol rugs,etc...and anything that is airtight,unless you have a dehumiderfier inside the storage container, is a no no.Wax,as mentioned will help keep moisture from penetrating the metal.

Since 1988, when I joined Uncle Sams Misguided Children I have used Break Free CLP. Cleaner, lubricant, protectant. I have not had anu rust issues since, except once when I used Rem Oil on a shotgun mag tube. After that, I threw the Rem oil away, and have stuck with CLP exclusively.

Seems CLP leaves a protective layer for quite some time during storage. Some may have other opionions or experience, but I swaer by this stuff. I just works.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

Thanks to all.

I'll steel wool, oil, and wax this for now while I research refinishing. I love the look of blueing but will persue more resilient options. Utility first and foremost; asthetics second.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links