The cat could have done me in.

This is a discussion on The cat could have done me in. within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I had a scare last night, and here's what it was all about. We live in a rural area, essentially no nearby neighbors. Nearly every ...

Thread: The cat could have done me in.

VIP Member

The cat could have done me in.

I had a scare last night, and here's what it was all about.

We live in a rural area, essentially no nearby neighbors. Nearly every night, my wife and I spend the evening watching tv, reading or talking in a converted bedroom that we call our "tv room". We're on one side of the house away from the exterior doors. In thinking about home invasions, I know we're sitting in a room without an alternate exit, the tv is likely on, I'm a bit hard of hearing, so someone could make a reasonable amount of noise gaining entry to our locked house and easily confront us in our tv room. We'd be fairly helpless, caught off-guard and it would be too late!

To alleviate my thoughts of a nasty surprise like that, I've been carrying my g27 to the tv room each night and putting it on the cabinet next to where I sit. My other guns stay locked and put away. Our kids are grown, so it's just my wife and I, no neighborhood kids or anything like that at all. If friends were over, the g27 would be put away. Anyway the gun is by my side on top of a cabinet, and when we retire to our bedroom later, I bring the g27 with me and put it on the nightstand.

I know it's important when carrying a CCW to use a holster of some sort. How about my scenario I just described, should it be in a holster? Here's why I bring this point up. The cat jumped up on the cabinet last night and skidded on a piece of paper, causing him to land ungracefully and slide into my g27 knocking it off onto the carpeted floor beside me!

I was thinking had the gun fired and killed me how tragic that would have been, plus it being a cat that fired the shot. I thought the cat and I liked each other, now I see it's only about catfood! I'm 55 yoa and have been shooting since I was 5. Reserve deputy for 25 years also, I think that was the closest I've ever come to a potential accident with a firearm. A special thanks to Mr Glock for designing a gun that didn't discharge in that matter. The cat stays and the g27 is off the cabinet.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

2. Remove Ads

You have to love guns that go clatter but not bang.

I'd watch that cat though, is it a Persian?

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Lol buy more soft cat food and make the cat happy with you again .. I am tellin ya your on thin ice right now .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Assistant Administrator
    On a serious note - I would (and do) keep my piece holstered - all around house, office, even sitting for some TV.

At night it sits on floor just where my dangling arm can touch it - doesn't show to a casual observer and not ''knock-downable'' by Mr cat!!

Pretty freek occurrence this one but - makes ya think!!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Senior Member Array stanislaskasava's Avatar
    Are you still taking the gun to the tv room? Keeping the gun on the cabinet with an empty chamber would be better than leaving it in another room because you're scared of your cat...

I don't think a holster would help stop the gun from discharging when dropped... if Glocks even do that.

I think a holster would not had made any difference (the cat wasn't pulling the trigger). The safeties worked, no hole in the wall or on your gut. As far as leaving it on the cabinet for your cat to knock it to the ground again, its a Glock, it probably looks better now that is scuffed up.

VIP Member
    A properly functioning glock will not fire from being droped.

Distinguished Member Array SonofASniper's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    I'd watch that cat though, is it a Persian?
    So wrong, but so true. If the cat was born here in the states though, he might be all right unless he watches Al Jazeera all day.
    I will support gun control when you can guarantee all guns are removed from this planet. That includes military and law enforcement. When you can accomplish that, then I will be the last person to lay down my gun. Then I will carry the weapon that replaces the gun.

This is a very real danger (thank goodness for the glock trigger safety). I have known more than one person who laid their loaded shotgun in their boat when done duck-hunting (just in case one more flew by while retrieving decoys etc.) and had the dog step on the trigger and it goes boom! Luckily from their stories there was only property damage and no fatalities.

FMC

Quote Originally Posted by ppkheat View Post
    I know it's important when carrying a CCW to use a holster of some sort. How about my scenario I just described, should it be in a holster?
    The safest place for a gun is in a holster on your hip (or wherever on your body you usually carry). That way you always know where it is, the trigger is safely covered, and it is immediately available in the event of a home invasion.

Glock trigger

A Glock won't fire unless the trigger is pulled, because of the safety lever on the trigger. The odds are astronomical that a cat could accidently fire one, but technically it is possible. Dropping a Glock on the floor won't fire the gun, unless the trigger is pulled in the process.

Whenever I keep a loaded and chambered Glock on me or near me, it is always in a holster that covers the trigger. Then you won't have to worry about cat accidents.

Are you sure it was an accident and not an opportunity for the cat to get away with some revenge. I am a cat lover and those rascals are pretty sly.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence in their behalf. - George Orwell

Senior Moderator
    As stated, your Glock will never fire from a drop (at least if it's in proper working order). Not only does it have a trigger safety, but also a drop safety, equivalent to a firing pin safety.

Even my 1911 with no firing pin safety has never fired and the thing has been dropped at least two times that were pretty severe, my other 1911 as well.

Modern guns are built well.

Now go pet that cat!

I keep guns in enclosed but quickly ascessible places in various rooms and don't carry inside the house. It is not comfortable to have a heavy belt on all the time. My dog will let us know if anyone comes within fifty feet of the house. Buffy is better than any burgler alarm ever made. Even relatives and friends set her off like a banshee. She would not bite and never has but she will bark.
    Last edited by Sam Douthit; June 22nd, 2007 at 11:09 AM. Reason: spelling
    Sambo74
    SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM

VIP Member
    "I'd watch that cat though, is it a Persian?"
    Not a Persian, he's a Siamese (Thailand?). We found him as a kitten in a barn and was completely WILD, now he's a great pet and smart guy. Outstanding mouser, him coming from generations of barn cats!

"Are you still taking the gun to the tv room?"
    Definitely, I just moved it to a part of the cabinet that is out of the "cat dance" area. I'm going to look in my collection for an el-cheapo holster and attach it to the side of the cabinet next to me, and keep the g27 in that. A IWB holster attached to my boxers loose elastic would make a frightful image.

"I have known more than one person who laid their loaded shotgun in their boat when done duck-hunting (just in case one more flew by while retrieving decoys etc.) and had the dog step on the trigger and it goes boom!"
    You're definitely correct, I've heard of that happening. I don't use a dog anymore, but when we pick up decoys, etc, my rule is no shotguns with a shell chambered. And it better not be pointed at me chambered, not chambered, disassembled, etc!!!!!!( )

"Are you sure it was an accident and not an opportunity for the cat to get away with some revenge. I am a cat lover and those rascals are pretty sly."
    And smart too, they look bored and act like they don't know what's going on around them, but they know EVERYTHING. I think it's part of their ability to survive, is by early detection and awareness <--- sounds familiar doesn't it

"As stated, your Glock will never fire from a drop"
    Yes, and thanks to Mr Glock for that, however in that millisecond of watching it fall, the brain goes into survivability/panic mode without any immediate appreciation for Mr Glock's design I was thankful I bought a quality weapon rather than something cheaper that may have discharged and killed someone. You get what you pay for don't you?

"Even relatives and friends set her off like a banshee. She would not bite and never has but she will bark"
    We used to have two outside dogs like you described, both of them Catahoula Curs with glass eyes. They'd bark, look menacing, unlikely to bite, though they were very protective of us, and I think they would have if someone tried to harm us. Most people refused to leave their cars with those blue glass eyes looking at them. What great burglar alarms. I have a minor gun tale about them I'll post sometime.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Links