Buying guns on line /my ignorance help please

This is a discussion on Buying guns on line /my ignorance help please within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Just how does it work ? if you buy new or used gun on line is there a waiting period at your FFL for new ...

Thread: Buying guns on line /my ignorance help please

Just how does it work ? if you buy new or used gun on line is there a waiting period at your FFL for new ? What needs to happen? l realize it may differ state to state but what fed guidelines are there. thx
    It is not wrong to be Right
    An apeaser is a man who hopes that the crocidle eats him last

Assistant Administrator
    Deal must be FFL to FFL is main factor.

So seller must ship (if non FFL) via his guy to your guy - and you collect and pay whatever your guy charges for transfer.

Payment will be decided between you and seller. Any waiting period would be down to specific state laws ... your state
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

being in CA... You would still have a 2 week wait.

Unless they've come to their senses....

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Ok i am in the process of buying my first online pistol . The guy i am buying from is a ffl in Alaska , I paid him and had my choice of ffl here fax a copy of his ffl licence for the guy in alaska to send the pistol to . The guy in alaska recieves both my money and a copy of my local dealers FFL and ships it to him , then i go in and pay the fee my ffl charges ( if anyone is in my area officaly it is $25 bucks ... that is the official price, but i get a volume discount where i pay the 5 bucks for the check that the state charges him lol ) and fill out the 4473 , pass background ect .. In my state i take the pistol home that day , your state may vary since in some your ccw means you dont have to do the 'brady check ' or you may have a period to wait . The point is that once it is shipped and the fees paid to the ffl you use it is the same as buying an in stock item .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

California has a 2 week waiting(cooling off) period for handgun purchases

Um unless it changed since december, Cali has a 11 day waiting period, (technically 10 but my ffl does 11 to make sure down to the hour that its over 10 days)
    To those that paid for my freedom,
    I WILL NEVER FORGET.

As with all statements I've made and All that I will make, please check your local laws to verify accuracy. (and if i'm wrong let me know as I like to be right in the future) After all I'm just some goofball posting on an internet forum.

As I understand it. (And please read carefully)

If I am selling a firearm via the internet, I as a NON FFL holder can have the buyers Gun Dealer send his/her Dealers FFL to me personally, and then I can send the firearm to the buyers Dealer/FFL holder.

There really is no need for the seller to go to his FFL and pay a dealer fee just to have a gun sent out. But MAKE SURE YOU GUARD THAT FFL COPY and keep it for your records.

Also, you cannot use the US Postal Service for firearm transfers. You must use either UPS or Fed-Ex aka a "Private Carrier"

In regards to handgun shipping, it must also be sent Express and NOT ground shipping.

I used to do A LOT of firearm shopping and selling via the web. And not once ran into problems.

I'll have to search my older PC once I get it up and running again, for links and hard copies of this legal translation of firearm selling laws on the net.

Right now, I have my 3 day old PC that I'm using and I dont even have any bookmarks! lol

ETA~ Found the Legal Info:
    http://www.gunsonthenet.com/User/SellerTutorial.asp
    You do not have to be a licensed dealer to sell a firearm. By Federal law, the person to whom you ship the gun must be a licensed dealer. If the buyer is not a licensed dealer, the buyer must make arrangements with a licensed dealer in his state to receive the firearm and transfer it to the buyer. We have very in-depth information on shipping firearms legally on our Firearm Shipping Guide page. Never, under any circumstances, ship a firearm without following the steps on the Firearm Shipping Guide page! Shipping illegally is a felony and will earn you a one-way ticket to prison.

Last edited by Sig229; June 23rd, 2007 at 02:11 AM.
    Primary Carry Gun: Sig Sauer 229~R (.40cal w/ Golden Saber JHP's)

Quote Originally Posted by Sig229 View Post
    As I understand it. (And please read carefully)

If I am selling a firearm via the internet, I as a NON FFL holder can have the buyers Gun Dealer send his/her Dealers FFL to me personally, and then I can send the firearm to the buyers Dealer/FFL holder.

There really is no need for the seller to go to his FFL and pay a dealer fee just to have a gun sent out. But MAKE SURE YOU GUARD THAT FFL COPY and keep it for your records.

Also, you cannot use the US Postal Service for firearm transfers. You must use either UPS or Fed-Ex aka a "Private Carrier"

In regards to handgun shipping, it must also be sent Express and NOT ground shipping.

I used to do A LOT of firearm shopping and selling via the web. And not once ran into problems.

I'll have to search my older PC once I get it up and running again, for links and hard copies of this legal translation of firearm selling laws on the net.

Right now, I have my 3 day old PC that I'm using and I dont even have any bookmarks! lol

ETA~ Found the Legal Info:
    http://www.gunsonthenet.com/User/SellerTutorial.asp
    You do not have to be a licensed dealer to sell a firearm. By Federal law, the person to whom you ship the gun must be a licensed dealer. If the buyer is not a licensed dealer, the buyer must make arrangements with a licensed dealer in his state to receive the firearm and transfer it to the buyer. We have very in-depth information on shipping firearms legally on our Firearm Shipping Guide page. Never, under any circumstances, ship a firearm without following the steps on the Firearm Shipping Guide page! Shipping illegally is a felony and will earn you a one-way ticket to prison.

I believe what you have posted here to be accurate in my experience, which is limited to a few transactions here and there. However, some states may have different laws, but I am not certain. In Fl, we don't have anything special, you just have to ship it to an FFL to be in line with Fed law.

I bought a gun off an auction site from a guy in Illinois and he said that he had to ship it from and FFL in IL to be legal, so that's what he did and he paid the FFL charge on his end, I paid on my end.

That being said, I don't know if what he said is accurate, but given how things are in IL, I don't doubt it, and God only know what kind of crap they have in PRK. I think it would be a good idea to ask an FFL holder in your state if there are any laws that you need to adhere to from that perspective, just to be safe.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

JD
    Administrator
    In most states, long guns can be shipped through the mail to another person in the same state. IE I could sell SIG229 a rifle or shotgun and mail it myself.

As stated above shipping a handgun yourself, depends on a couple of things, your state laws, and will the receiving FFL accept guns from an individual.

I'll have an FFL ship my stuff any day, an FFL can use US MAIL for a handgun, and even with their fee, it still cheaper than FED EX or UPS next day/overnight etc. etc.

I've purchased a couple this way, and have sold a couple.

Basically, you're purchasing a product from someone who lives elsewhere, so it involves exchanging funds and shipping the product to you. But it's a firearm, so the long tentacles of the government get involved. The BATF requires the formal transfer of the firearm to be done via FFL holders (ie, your local gun shop), with some exceptions for long rifles, curios. But, basically, if you have your FFL shop do it, you'll avoid stepping in any potholes. Exchange the money; have the other party send the gun via FFL dealer to your FFL dealer; transfer it into your name via the forms; accommodate any waiting period your state might impose; take it home. That's about it.

Now, there are exceptions in some states. Face-to-face transactions may not necessarily require any formal background check, filling out forms, or any other precautions. Here in Oregon, you can anonymously call the state police to do a stolen gun check based on a serial number. You can craft a simple bill of sale, to exchange with the other person. You exchange the cash for the gun, and it's yours. No BATF forms. No notification to the government that the transaction has occurred.

As well, curio/relic firearms and (in some places) long guns can be shipped directly between parties.

In any case, you're in California, so the procedure is a bit different: determine the gun isn't on the disapproved list; pay your money; have the FFL ship the firearm to your FFL dealer; bend over just a smidge, while filling out forms until your finger falls off; wait until they say it's okay; wait a bit more; thank your lucky stars; take the gun home. BTW, I lived in California for a long time; carried there, as well. My condolences, for the hurdles you still need to hop over.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    IE I could sell SIG229 a rifle or shotgun and mail it myself..
    Got anything good?
    Primary Carry Gun: Sig Sauer 229~R (.40cal w/ Golden Saber JHP's)

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Sig229 View Post
    Got anything good?
    Not at the moment, I'm happy with my current stable of long guns

Sponsored Links