The Twins... well, almost...

This is a discussion on The Twins... well, almost... within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; A little history... When I first learned to shoot, right about 5 years ago, it was on a Ruger 22/45, that a mentor and friend ...

Senior Member Array firefighter4884's Avatar

A little history...

When I first learned to shoot, right about 5 years ago, it was on a Ruger 22/45, that a mentor and friend at work owned (his first handgun). The pistol was chambered in 22 LR, had a 10 round mag, and had a 5.5" stainless steel barrel. I loved that gun so much, even though it wasn't mine, that when I decided to buy a pistol (as soon as I was old enough) I purchased my USPc and a Ruger 22/45. Unfortunatley, when I purchased my 22/45, I was unable to get one of the older models new from the factory (they had introduced the 22/45 mark III to replace it).

I ended up purchasing the firearm that was closest to what I wanted. Similar, but with a different grip, and a magazine disconnect. That pistol ended up needing repair (wierd problem, not that really stopped it from functioning) so I sent it back to Ruger. The same day, I happened to stop at the local gun shop here in Indiana, and I saw the exact 22/45 that I learned on. The older style. I asked the guy behind the counter if it was new or used, and he tells me it's still new. I asked if he could get any more, and he says no, that's the last of the line. I put a deposit on it.

I picked it up today, and as I got home, FedEx dropped off my newly repaired Ruger. I'm so excited, I figured I'd share a picture. Sorry for the quality, I've never been that good of a photographer.

--Jim

P.S. I put a deposit down on a P7 PSP that was in the shop, so I'm excited about that too!
    Firefighter / EMT - Always Ready. Ever Willing.

~Never do anything that you don't want to have to explain to the paramedics...~

Assistant Administrator
    Wow Jim - you really lucked out there alright!! I'd not have thought any of the earlier models were left anywhere. I love my plastic 22/45 but heck - sure would be thrilled to find the earlier version.

Pretty close to twins yeah and they are great fun - plus of course dead cheap shooting too (complete with implicit grin!).

Ordered P7 eh - shucks - you gotta pay raise huh? What a good day eh!!!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Chris,

Pay raise? I wish. That's why I put the deposit, instead of bought it outright. I haven't worked since I got out here, I can't seem to find a job(although I did have lots and lots of over time right before I left my other job).

Both of the 22/45's are plasic bodied, but the older one is much more comfortable to shoot. I think I'm going to mount an optic of some kind on top of the Mark III (which is on the bottom by the way...)

--Jim

Assistant Administrator
    Hang on - Jim I have gotten things back to front.

Duh!

Of course yes MkIII is the newer one - oh my - how lacking in up-to-dateness can I get!!! I saw those in reverse! OK so - still lucky I guess to find the earlier one but not as much as I had mistakenly thought. Sheesh - what a maroon I can be!

I have the earlier one of course but added Hogue Handall (part of) to mine and that helps a lot (not showing in pic). Not tried the newer grip type.

I think you've seen mine before but used SoLow mounts which take a 30mm optic - and used a Bushnell Trophy deal - does nicely. Found too a Volquartsen extractor upped the faddyness over ammo types a lot. Fed Champion is my fave for reliability.

Chris - P95

Yeah,

both of my new ones are already tapped to put a scope mount on :) Ruger I guess started doing it at the factory. I've thought about it, but I'll pay off the p7 and pick up some leather first.

Maybe another long gun too (really want a Remington 700... LOL)

A guess a job would help first huh?

--Jim

Assistant Administrator
    Hope something will come up Jim - tho it can be demoralizing for a while doing the job hunting deal. Sure would help if you can.

Keep lookin' and am sure a door will open for you - sometimes when least expected.
    Chris - P95

Nice score, I have a 22/45 MK II that looks exactly like yours. They were on closeout at Gander Mountain not long after the MK III was introduced. I love it when I get an older model of something cheap and the whole reason I want the older one is because it's better.
    - Kurt
    “Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it.” ~Pericles of Athens
    Primary Carry - Colt Commander .45 in a Brommeland Max-Con V

Links