My Father's Guns Display - Newspaper Stories Finally Posted

This is a discussion on My Father's Guns Display - Newspaper Stories Finally Posted within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I bought this display case last month at a gun show and just got around to putting the guns in it and labeling them. The ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My Father's Guns Display - Newspaper Stories Finally Posted

VIP Member

My Father's Guns Display - Newspaper Stories Finally Posted

I bought this display case last month at a gun show and just got around to putting the guns in it and labeling them.

The story behind the guns can be found here with some additional info here.

In late February my sister and I got to talking about the day my father killed the armed robber and she said that she had the original newspaper stories about it. I only had a copy of one story and that had been given to me by a friend. A few weeks later I got an envelope with 8 or 10 newspaper stories about me and my children along with three about the shooting. These had all been saved by my mother and had been in the scrapbooks and boxes of things like that which my sister got when our father died.

The shooting took place on Saturday, July 5, 1975. After I saw the stories I realized that my father celebrated the weekend honoring the 199th anniversary of the Declaration of Independence by exercising his Second Amendment rights.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

2. Remove Ads

Assistant Administrator
    George - that is just dandy - nice job and those relics from the past deserve some display and appreciation.

I well remember the story you told and it was quite fascinating.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Center of the World Ma! Center of the World!
    Very nice display, nice tribute to your father.
    "Hell of a thing, killin' a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have."
    - William Munny (Clint Eastwood in the Unfrogivin)

“The graveyards are full of indispensable men.” – Napoleon Bonaparte

“My Idea of a fair fight is beating baby seals with a club”

JD
    Administrator
    Very cool. There's just something about the legacy of "Our Fathers Guns"

So many stories that they could tell.

1943 - 2009
    That's outstanding, George! Beautiful display.

Oh, BTW, the first link doesn't work.

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

Distinguished Member Array Dakotaranger's Avatar
    Interesting story and you did a great job with the shadow box.
    "[T]he people are not to be disarmed of their weapons.
    They are left in full possession of them."

Zacharia Johnson (speech in the Virginia Ratifying Convention,25 June 1778)"The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." ~Alexander Hamilton

Distinguished Member Array Doc Holliday's Avatar
    Wow, great display and story. My Grandfather shot it out with two robbers breaking into my parents home in the early 70's......He didn't hit them but they didn't go far.

Thanks for the idea on the shadow box. I have an old .32 S&W revolver that my Great-Grandfather carried when he was a Sheriff back in the 30's that would look great in that. Now if I only had his badge!
    Why Ike, whatever do you mean? Maybe poker's just not your game Ike. I know! Let's have a spelling contest!

George,

That is just a way cool tribute to you father and the caliber of man he was or is... (don't know if he is still alive or not)

A man of high character and strong moral fiber! Those weapons should be on display!

Not to celebrate the taking of a human life, but to celebrate the courage to protect yourself and your loved ones!

When the moment of truth came... Your father stood up and was counted!

Looking at those two guns are awe inspiring to me. There's some history in that box. Thank you for sharing it with us!
    Last edited by Bark'n; June 23rd, 2007 at 02:00 AM.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Administrator

Thumbs up

I like the red velvet.

Nice display.

Only way it could look better is on the wall next to a taxidermy head mount of an armed robber.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Kudos! Great display and great story.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

Senior Moderator
    Nice George,

Maybe you can post one of the articles.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Lead Moderator
    Very nice. It is a great reminder why we need to have our 2nd ammend. rights.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pgrass101 View Post
    Nice George,

Maybe you can post one of the articles.
    I have the articles scanned, but the pdfs are at my office. I'll try to get them this today and post.

BTW the display is not complete yet. I am going to look through all the old family photos at my sister's house and find one from the middle 70s to get enlarged. Then I'll put it beside the display. I have a notebook with copies of the articles in it next to the display now. I plan to write up the story of what happened that day in the first person just like my father told it to me and put that and "the rest of the story" in the notebook.

Pete (the member formerly known as 0.02) posted that he has been made a Kentucky Colonel. My father was appointed a LTC, Aide-De-Camp in the Alabama militia by Gov. John Patterson in 1962. I have that certificate and his swagger stick that came with the appointment. They will be added to the display area as well.

Just so everyone knows. My father and I did not get along too well until I went into the Army. A little his fault and a whole lot mine. We were too much alike. I loved him and he loved me. There was never any doubt about that. I also respected him. I learned a great deal from him. That was mostly caught not taught. I learned from being around him. Mark Twain wrote something that expresses perfectly our relationship: "When I was 14 my father was the dumbest man in the world; when I became 21 I was amazed what he had learned in just 7 short years." Unfortunately I lost my father about 27 months after I lost my mother. She died in February 1980 and he died on Easter Sunday in April 1982. I still miss them both very much.

Anyway as poorly as we got along in the early years my father was still the most important influence in my life and this display is designed to honor his memory. There are many other things that could be used to honor him, but most of the others are not available in tangible items that can be put on display. What can you display to show honesty, integrity, fatherly love and discipline? What can demonstrate a husband who loved and respected his wife? What can placed on a shelf or in a frame to indicate his dedication to fulfilling his marriage vows? Here is a man who took "in sickness and in health till death do us part" seriously. My mother became ill in 1950 and spent at least two weeks in the hospital each year until she died in 1980. She had over 15 major surgeries. My dad's insurance only payed the doctor's bills; he paid everything else. He did that, cared for her, and went to the hospital to see her every night she was there except for a very few. When she was in Ochner's in New Orleans he could not go every night. I can remember him closing the store at about 7 PM and driving to Birmingham almost two hours away; staying about an hour; driving home and going to bed. Then getting up at 5 AM; opening the store at 6 AM, working all day; and then doing exactly what he had done the night before. My father, after I became an adult and got out into the real world, became my hero. If I earn some of the respect and live my life just half as well as he lived his then I will be, in the words of Kipling, "a man."

If

If you can keep your head when all about you
    Are losing theirs and blaming it on you;
    If you can trust yourself when all men doubt you,
    But make allowance for their doubting too;
    If you can wait and not be tired by waiting,
    Or, being lied about, don't deal in lies,
    Or, being hated, don't give way to hating,
    And yet don't look too good, nor talk too wise;

If you can dream - and not make dreams your master;
    If you can think - and not make thoughts your aim;
    If you can meet with triumph and disaster
    And treat those two imposters just the same;
    If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken
    Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,
    Or watch the things you gave your life to broken,
    And stoop and build 'em up with wornout tools;

If you can make one heap of all your winnings
    And risk it on one turn of pitch-and-toss,
    And lose, and start again at your beginnings
    And never breath a word about your loss;
    If you can force your heart and nerve and sinew
    To serve your turn long after they are gone,
    And so hold on when there is nothing in you
    Except the Will which says to them: "Hold on";

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
    Or walk with kings - nor lose the common touch;
    If neither foes nor loving friends can hurt you;
    If all men count with you, but none too much;
    If you can fill the unforgiving minute
    With sixty seconds' worth of distance run -
    Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
    And - which is more - you'll be a Man my son!

Rudyard Kipling
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

Senior Moderator
    George my father and I didn't get along well until I got in my mid-twenties. Like you it was mostly me.

He was my Best man at my wedding 4 years ago, and is my role model on what a Man is suppose to be.

My favorite qoute of his is "A man must be willing to do what has to be done, no matter how hard or distasteful, it is because it has to be done."

Another of my favorites "If you have done your best and tried has hard as you can, you will never be defeated. Sure you might lose and get beaten, but you will always be able to get back up and try again because you know that you gave it you're all".
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Great story

I loved it.

The shadow box is great. I love how you reunited the 2.

thanks again for the story. I am excited to see the final product, if you are going to put the article and pic, it will really top it all the way off.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links