Cannons ... :-)

This is a discussion on Cannons ... :-) within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; OK folks - those who know me - are aware of my proclivity for hand cannons - and so just thought I'd start a thread ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cannons ... :-)

Assistant Administrator

Cannons ... :-)

OK folks - those who know me - are aware of my proclivity for hand cannons - and so just thought I'd start a thread on such. These are for most part ''recreational'' tho all have very fine hunting potential.

So - anyone else have this ''disease''??? I cannot compete with CLASS3 re auto's but - sure as heck - am into cannons!

Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

2. Remove Ads

All i have so far is a ruger super redhawk in 44 mag and 9 1/2 and a SRH in 454 7 1/2 inch thinking maybe a 480 or a 500 next.. all ihave in a cannon ... got bunch of 38's 357's too

Assistant Administrator
    All I have
    That'll work!

I must say - leaving aside the cost - as far as X frames go - I really, really want a .460!! So versatile and when fully stoked, a 200 yard blitzer.

I doubt tho funds will allow that ever. Dreams tho - they cost little!
    Chris - P95

I like them just because they show what's possible in my favorite format. That's a very nice collection you have there P95. You sure do have a good assortment of guns.

I'd like one just like you have there third from the top in .454, if I had need of one. But short of hunting or just some heavy duty plinking I have no idea what I would do with such a thing so it's not real high on the list of priorities. For me, it's an impractical gun.

It's like your buddy's girlfriend. You look, you admire, you tell him what a lucky stiff he is, but bottom line is that it ain't yours to have!

Assistant Administrator
    Hahahaha Euc - nicely put!!

I am not sure actually what makes me such a fan of the cannons. I guess (mostly cos I handload) I can shoot fairly cheaply and - there is something about the awesome power of these things too.

Recoil is ''tameable'' and so not really too damaging.

If I put a .454 hottie or a 45-70 medium load on the 100 yard steel plate - it resounds to foot pounds!! I know that the impact is over a foot ton!! beyond that - it is me - taming the brute!!

As with many guns - where is the ''need'' - it ain't there! But the ''want'' and the shere unadulerated pleasure from same - well - only similar addicts can attest!

Think on this. I ''lost'' about 24 handguns in '97 in UK. Since I married my beloved and realized that - I could start over - I have ''invested (my excuse) in all sorts of indulgence - it is my late-in-life passion re-established.

Interestingly - and maybe due to recent extra purchases (shudder!) - I am considering ''thinning the herd''. A very new P3AT is already gone and there are a few others which I think may have to go. I hope tho that things I will keep a long while yet will include my toys (cannons) as well as my beloved Smiths. Not to mention all the long arms!!
    Chris - P95

Assistant Administrator
    I guess - on reflection - I could almost include this one too - only cos it's another 44 mag! Maybe just a mega-pooper! LOL.

Nice gun but - PITA re load/unload - the ever present prob' with S/A revo's!!

Chris - P95

In my cannon collection, the 28 ounce Taurus 444 titanium 44 mag:

And the ubiquitous S&W Model 29, 8 3/8":

And not by caliber, but by foot pound and blast,

And coming June 1rst or so, my Vector HK 51 "pistol", the 308 semi handgun of choice:

The irony is that the S&W kicks far more than the Taurus.
    Driver carries less than $45 worth of remorse.

I'm droolin! Nice P95...like Euc, it is one of those priority things for me. I'm still trying to get the baseline configuration for my carry. Good holster rig is next on my list and I'm leaning toward a Tucker rig. Then it's gotta be a good long gun.....But boy-hidey, I've always loved the cannon guns and those of yours are great...think I'll save those pics of yours for future ref.....Thanks!
    "Endeavor To Persevere"
    Chief Dan George

Euc if i actually had a need to buy a gun i wouldnt own 3/4's of them i didnt need the 454 but wanted it and prefer it over the 44 now

Assistant Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by rfurtkamp
    The irony is that the S&W kicks far more than the Taurus.
    Haha! I certainly do find that hard to believe!! Even my 4" 629 with Pachy's is far from comfortable and that has some weight!

Your 29 looks very ''homely'' - I'll bet that has been around and well used. I like long tubes (oh I think I have shown that already!).

Love the CAR 15 - hell of a fun tool - Eric Rohrbaugh tried one belonging to MikeB (from THR) at an East PA shoot last year - the grin was great. I edited a slice of video with muzzle blast to make a small clip - it is fun all the way.

As for a HK51 - <drool>
    Chris - P95

Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry
    Haha! I certainly do find that hard to believe!! Even my 4" 629 with Pachy's is far from comfortable and that has some weight!
    The Taurus grips really are flat out amazing. I figure that coupled with the 4" tube not getting as much powder burn to generate sustained zing answers the 'why.'
    Driver carries less than $45 worth of remorse.

Assistant Administrator
    Fair enough - I certainly would not doubt your word at all. Maybe it is something I should try too - if I can find someone with the 444. I am intrigued now!!

Just noticed (temporary I hope) my server is down - hope that corrects soon - it is usually very reliable.
    Chris - P95

Thumbs up

Chris?
    ya got me lookin thru my safe now LOL....til then.
    Here's that 3' er a bit cleaned up, before I take it ot the polishing wheels. I also dug up this rig from my holster box. I've carried 2.5 to 4 inch L and N frames in it. I can't make out who the Mfgr is, as the logo is so worn on the rig. Interestingly enough, notice the VELCRO sholder straps on the holster, and around the leather shoulder peices. I can also place other horizontal holsters on this set up for other weapons I may deem to carry. This seems great and comfy, especially when you find the need to "re-adjust" things. It's a horizontal carry, so it draws straight out, with a velcro thumbsnap.
    I never get rid of my leather as you can see LOL...Maybe it's true, when my wife calls me a "pack rat" but it also saves lotsa bucks when it comes time to holster your new peice
    Attached Images

Assistant Administrator
    Looks a very comfy rig - my only sho rig I use (now and again) is a front break X-15 Bianchi - I like it except - for the way the top cross strap (elastic) tries to ride up on my neck - otherwise it works well with a large semi. Never (yet) tried revo in sho rig.

May amend that soon as an experiment - when I get a 686 again, and with that a similar style front break to my Bianchi by sound of it.

Nice 3" er - looks like a more recent one judging by cyl release.

As for ''the holster box'' - oh my - I took a pic a ways back of all my rigs but that is (ashamed to say) outa date now - there are quite a few more.!! Here is that old pic -
    about 2 years ago I guess, with all the various items - what a mess! It is now not worse but - disastrously worse! I must take a fesh pic!

Chris - P95

LOL..........I KNEW I wasn't the only "pack rat " out here.LOL .I'm sure we have a few more out there, that just haven't admitted it to themselves yet! LMAO
    GREAT collection ya got there!! I too have never let go of my leather, nylon, mag pouches speedloaders etc. There's always a time when they come back into activity!! Just think.when we both get a bit older, and our minds start to go, we can rummage thru the boxes, and think we've come across something new and exciting! LOL.That rig I posted is soooo comfortable, I could never part with it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links