Neighbor and his new rifle

This is a discussion on Neighbor and his new rifle within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Hey ya'll Just to start off.... I wasn't freaked out or in any fear but, just a bit nervous. My Neighbor has a Pool that ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hey ya'll

Just to start off.... I wasn't freaked out or in any fear but, just a bit nervous.

My Neighbor has a Pool that he has kindly let me and my wife and now our 10month old baby girl splace around in. Well Sunday afternoon as we were splashing about, My neighbor from 2 doors down walks over with what appear to be an "AR-15 type" with a scope on it and starts talking it up with my neighbor.

Both these guys are avid hunters so I know that they know guns. However what I got a bit nervous over was the fact that it had what appeared to me to be a 10 round magazine INSERTED into the magwell, additionally the dust cover was closed(I don't know why this was significant at the time). Well I figured that seeing as we had a place to be later in the day it might be a good idea to be early then late, so I casually told momma that we needed to get going. Well when she saw what was happening. she just shook her head and said "Yep, we are surrounded by rednecks. Hold the baby and lemme get a picture of them over your shoulder my mom will freak out!!" and then she laughed like she couldn't wait to see the expression on her moms face.

Well back to the point. I dind't know if the rifle was loaded, I highly doubt it but (assume until proven otherwise). I definately didn't think their sighting the scope over a travelled road and into the field across the street wasn't the best place to be pointing it. I did also note a finger or two inside the trigger guard as well. I like these folks and I don't want to strain the relationship (or lose pool priveladges) So did I overreact or what. I guess everyones level of firearm safety knowledge might be different, And the last thing I want is to be thought of as overly sensitive..... well maybe thats the second to last thing I want. the very last thing would involve an ND and a wounded family member.

Thanks
    MikeV

BTW I am origianlly from Texas so, When I say redneck I am just recognizing my own. It takes one to know one.
    Last edited by MIKEV; June 26th, 2007 at 01:01 PM. Reason: added btw, and -15 type

1943 - 2009
    Well, I'd say no harm, no foul.

Wait a minute! Did I read that correctly? Did you say he had an AR? In Maryland?

What's up with that?

When youíre wounded and left on Afghanistanís plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

Yep, the MD Leg. couldn't get the "Scary Black Rifle Ban" passed this year!! I am sure they will try again next session.... <sigh>

MikeV

So see if I got this straight...

Neighbor 2 walked down a public street with 'carrying' a rifle in hand and magazine inserted, in MD no less (!), and he did this without the rifle being in a case or otherwise properly and legally transported & secured. Upon arrival at your friends home, Neighbor 1, neither neighbor thought it prudent to remove the magazine. Nor did Neighbor 1 think toward his own safety & liability; 'Hey this could possibly be a charged firearm and I have no way to know it's not as the dust cover is closed and the mag inserted' (?).
    I think under said situation I'd have done what you did getting the family out and on their way.
    Or I might have introduced myself, asked if I could see too, and then immediately dropped the mag, flipped open the dust cover, and manually do a pinky check of the chamber in full view of them to start just to provide them food for future thought and a positive example of how to act or rather react. I'd might even afterward ask hey what kind of case did you get for it (fully knowing he walked over with no case) just to jog Neighbor 2's mindset toward thinking of safety and the law above and beyond the hey man look at my new toy emotion of it all.

Folks like that doing stuff like this make it hard for us all as no doubt some other person on your block saw Neighbor 2 walking by and thought OMG 'stupid rednecks!' as they are in their own anti-gun home. :(

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Jang

Walked over from non-fenced adjoining back yard. As per the "lemme see" I was gonna do that but I was soaking wet with out a towel so... You get the idea.

Glad to hear your opinion on the sit. I feel better about it now

MikeV

Administrator
    FWIW, a real redneck would have slapped the wheels back on his house and moved it outta the way.

I think you did OK, if you felt uneasy about the situation time to leave. Its your job to protect your family, and most of the time that is done with your brain, not your gun, fists etc.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I rather lose pool privileges that lose my life. (Did I use the right lose this time? )

Next time be a good neighbor and tell them about the 4 firearms safety rules, unless you don't mind someone using your house as a "sight in" target on what they think to be an unloaded firearm.

I am thinking that when I pick up my CBOB this week. I will wait until they are hanging out together to "Hey lookie what I just got." and right before I Let them hold it. I clear it in a safe direction with a little remark like "Wanna make sure everyone know's it's unloaded. Can't be too safe now can ya?"

Or would that just go over their heads?

MikeV

Lead Moderator
    Worth a try Mike. Sounds like you did best for you and your family.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Always bail out when you are uncomfortable around weapons being handled unsafely (finger in trigger guard). Did your wife get the picture and did they notice being photographed?

You did the right thing....don't worry about it.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Quote Originally Posted by MIKEV View Post
    ... my wife and now our 10month old baby girl ... neighbor from 2 doors down walks over with what appear to be an "AR-15 type" ... magazine INSERTED ... a finger or two inside the trigger guard ...

the very last thing would involve an ND and a wounded family member.
    You've got the right idea. Bad juju, until you know. A rifle with magazine inserted, finger inserted and two guys yackin' it up can make for mistakes. Around your wife and child? Better to know than to be sorry for the rest of your life. A few minutes of pool privileges aren't worth that. Why not simply speak with the neighbor, to get a feel for his awareness and basic handling skills? Seems to me, it's far better to know than merely guess. Your family members' lives may depend on it, no matter what others may think of you.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I think discreetly getting out of that situation was handled excellent. No need upsetting the natives with rightous indignation as to their manual of arms with wife and infant there.

I liked Jang's idea but again, wife and kid was there so I think your idea of later on stopping by with your weapon to show and pointing out your safety lessons in a non threatening way would be cool too.

I just wouldn't totally ignore the situation as they do live in close proximity to you and you don't want to be a statistic later on down the road. And since they are friendly folks and you seem to like them, educating them in a friendly and subtle manner hopefully will go a long way in remaining friends.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

when I go camping with my uncles what went on at your neighbors BBQ would have gotten you a slap on the back of the head and sent home. It doesn't matter who you are with, or what sort of impression you want to leave. In my opinion there are rules that can be bent and there are rules written in stone. Clearing a weapon in a safe direction is rule #1 written in stone. That sucker is ALWAYS loaded. Even after you have checked it visually and manually 3 times. I don't care if you are the Pope or the President. In God I trust, everyone else point that sucker away from me or we will not be hanging out any more. Getting shot by a bad guy sucks, Getting shot by a friend sux even more.

I would have politely and firmly asked them to clear the weapon and suggested aiming it in a safer direction as "you can never be to carefull ;D " I would rather keep the red stuff on the inside than hang on to Pool Privelages.
    To those that paid for my freedom,
    I WILL NEVER FORGET.

As with all statements I've made and All that I will make, please check your local laws to verify accuracy. (and if i'm wrong let me know as I like to be right in the future) After all I'm just some goofball posting on an internet forum.

Quote Originally Posted by FknRa View Post
    ...In my opinion there are rules that can be bent and there are rules written in stone. Clearing a weapon in a safe direction is rule #1 written in stone...

...I would have politely and firmly asked them to clear the weapon and suggested aiming it in a safer direction as "you can never be to carefull ;D " I would rather keep the red stuff on the inside than hang on to Pool Privelages.
    Ya know... I agree 100%. Don't know what I was thinking on my last post! My Bad!

Be polite, by all means... but be firm and insist on them clearing the weapon. Period.

I feel sheepish now!
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links