38spl Problems

38spl Problems

This is a discussion on 38spl Problems within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I am having a problem with my 38spl revolver. It is a Taurus 85SS. This is an older gun that has not been fired very ...

Thread: 38spl Problems

38spl Problems

I am having a problem with my 38spl revolver. It is a Taurus 85SS. This is an older gun that has not been fired very much. When I bought it, it had set in the guys gun safe for about 8 years and had only had maybe 100 rounds if that in those 8 years. The gun since new has only had about 300 rounds through it. The problem I am having is that when I fire it, it will fire fine for maybe 8 out of 10 rounds. It is like the hammer does not drop hard enough to fire the round. I can pull through the misfire and come back around to it and then it will fire on the second time. I am not sure if I have a weak spring or what. How can I figure out what is causing this.

Is it doing it with factory ammo if so send it back they have a lifetime warranty

I had a colt detective special do this also. A good detail stripping revealed old oil turned to varnish. A thorough cleaning and oiling took care of the problem. Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Bud White View Post
    Is it doing it with factory ammo if so send it back they have a lifetime warranty
    I normaly shoot Winchester White Box.. I know it is not the best but it is kind of cheap. I first thought that it was hard primers but a buddy of mine has a S&W and they fired find through his. I think I might have to send it in and get some use out of that warranty.

Assistant Administrator
    Indeed a thoro clean could help - but does sound like anyways something is limiting the strike strength and could be mainspring.

If good clean and relube no cure then maybe try for a return (may take a while) and get overhaul and new spring etc ....... or see if Wolff can supply a new spring and do it yourself. Much quicker!

If your ammo has CCI primers then that will make it more fussy - whereas Fed ammo with Fed primers would probably run better as they are softer.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Senior Member Array Shadowsbane's Avatar
    Sending it back will take a bit of time.

My father in law sent them his pistol about 5 weeks ago, he called friday to hear that they have not even looked at it yet, and they had no idea how long it would take to come back to him. If you think you could do it yourself, I would try that first.
    Now, we must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men.

www.Lonelymountainleather.com

Good cleaning is in order

I agree with the above posters. Must likely dried out oil and grease in the innards.

After a good cleaning try dry firing it a lot (like until your trigger finger gets tired).

I have the same model .38 and when it was new, the trigger was so-so. Shot it a whole lot and dry fired it a lot too and now the double action trigger is smooth as silk.

...Skye...

Thanks for all the suggestions. This gun was very dirty inside and was dry as a bone. A buddy at work is a S&W armorer and when he looked at it he found the problem right away. The main spring has been cut so to give it a lighter trigger pull. I have one on order and when it comes in I will let you all know how it works. I am new to revolvers so any other advise you might have would be great..

DOes it?

Does it have the Taurus hammer safety? YOu said it was a older model. But if it does that might be the culprit.
    Alex G.
    S&W M&P .45
    Virginia Beach, Va.
    Senior Chief Petty Officer, RETIRED, USN
    Certified NRA Pistol Instructor
    NRA Range Officer

Does the Taurus have a coil or leaf mainspring? The S&W's have a leaf spring, at least the older ones, that is tensioned by a screw in front of the grip. That should always be tight and the end never filed down in a defensive gun. The trigger rebound spring can be shortened a little, just a little, to help lighten the trigger pull, but that should not have an effect on the striking force of the hammer.

Sponsored Links