More Illinois insanity for manufacturers

This is a discussion on More Illinois insanity for manufacturers within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; It's not just Les Baer..... http://qconline.com/archives/qco/display.php?id=343309 As a business owner I really can feel their pain. I guess these communities don't need the jobs or ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: More Illinois insanity for manufacturers

More Illinois insanity for manufacturers

It's not just Les Baer.....

http://qconline.com/archives/qco/display.php?id=343309

As a business owner I really can feel their pain. I guess these communities don't need the jobs or tax base?
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

2. Remove Ads

I hope every single one of them moves to a state that wants them and enjoys their business. I appreciate their loyalty to their employees. That's a rare thing these days, but imo, it's time to cut losses and get out of Dodge. Then maybe we can kick Illinois out of the US and let it join the European Union that it so desperately wants to emulate.
    ...He suggested that "every American citizen" should own a rifle and train with it on firing ranges "at every courthouse." -Chesty Puller

Illinois is certainly shooting itself in the foot. Feet, for my money, but "they" must know what they're doing. Otherwise, there'd be no point at all.

In the case of Geneseo firms, they could move 10mi west and be in Iowa. Unknown if that would be any better. Can't imagine it could be any worse. And they'd be able to keep most, if not all, of their skilled employees.

The quoted story, for those that prefer not to follow the links.

Quad Cities Online, 06/21/2007

Gun makers in limbo, with one eye on lawmakers

By Stephen Elliott, selliott@qconline.com

Area gun manufacturers remain in limbo, unsure if Illinois legislators could put them out of business.

Bills were introduced this year in the Illinois legislature to outlaw high-capacity gun magazines, to ban the .50-caliber rifle, and to ban some types of semi-automatic weapons.

The assaults on the industry were tougher this year, according to gun manufacturers, and that has stalled expansion plans at many of the businesses.

Most have made plans to move to other states if necessary, while one firm -- Les Baer Custom of Hillsdale -- has called it a day.

The firm is in the process of moving operations to LeClaire. While many of the current employees will likely follow the firm to Iowa, owner Les Baer also plans on hiring eight more people, expanding his staff to 24 employees.

Mr. Baer said the move was in large part due to the constant threats of new Illinois laws that would ban or curtail his gun manufacturing business.

Mark Westrom, owner of ArmaLite Inc., in Geneseo, employs about 85 people. Because of this year's heated battles in Springfield, he's unsure what the firm's future in Geneseo will be.

"We have an actual factory -- we have huge machines, and we need more. We need to expand," Mr. Westrom said Wednesday. "In Illinois, we're cautious about expansion. I've already looked at sites elsewhere.

"It's nuts. It's crazy," he said. "We've got states, cities and counties all contacting us. But, I've got good people here. You can't just pull those people out of trees. They have spouses, families, houses. We'll make a decision (on moving) based on the needs of our production."

Bill Dermody, spokesman for Springfield Armory, Geneseo, said with 170 employees, it's hard to move operations.

Like ArmaLite, Springfield desperately needs to expand, he said. But to do so in the current Illinois political climate is risky.

"From our customer service to our machine shop, we're just elbow to elbow," Mr. Dermody said. "We just have no room."

The company still hasn't decided what it will do, he said. "Either you deal with (gun legislation) year in and year out, or you leave," he said. "We really don't want to leave. But, we have this black cloud hanging over our heads that isn't about to blow away."

A spokesman for Rock River Arms, Colona, said it can no longer bring in more employees or inventory into the building.

"We've needed to expand since Jan. 1," the spokesman, who declined to be named, said. "We'd like to build and add more jobs. But with the state legislators talking the way they are, it doesn't make sense to sink several million dollars in a new facility when, next year, you can be thrown out of the state."

At Lewis Machine and Tool Co., Milan, it's the same as far as expansion. Company president Karl Lewis said they have approximately 110 employees, but want to add more with expansion.

"We've had architectural plans to expand our business since 2000," Mr. Lewis said. "And, every year, when legislation comes up, we just say we'll make do."

But this year came close to driving Mr. Lewis' company out of Milan and out of Illinois.

"We like it here," he said. "It's a good community and a good environment. Yet, there were a lot of people from other states that came here with presentations to us. It opened my eyes and gave me pause to see that other states are embracing our business.

"We are being romanced or catered to by about every state around us plus some quite far away," Mr. Lewis said. "When someone says, 'we don't want you here,' it doesn't take very long to move."

Tom Mannard, executive director of Illinois Council Against Handgun Violence, said he wants to see compromise between legislators and gun manufacturers.

"It's a delicate balance," he said. "You could have a bill that prohibits the sale of assault weapons in Illinois, but allows the manufacturers to continue to manufacture and sell outside of Illinois. The current measures don't allow that."
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member
    No surprise here.

VIP Member
    Tom Mannard, executive director of Illinois Council Against Handgun Violence, said he wants to see compromise between legislators and gun manufacturers.

"It's a delicate balance," he said. "You could have a bill that prohibits the sale of assault weapons in Illinois, but allows the manufacturers to continue to manufacture and sell outside of Illinois. The current measures don't allow that."
    This has got to be one of the most hypocritical statements I have heard in a long time. He is saying "We don't want them here, but it's OK to make them and sell them to other places." Guess I shouldn't be surprised. Bleah!
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

agree CopperKnight,

VIP Member
    I don't envy their position...........

They are left with only a few options:

Do they stay & fight a battle in place where the odds are against them?
    Do they stay & try to 'get along' without a fight?
    Do they pack it in & leave?

This is an example of where the Federal government should use the 'commerce clause' for what it was intended! These are legal products & deserve to be protected!
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

Quote Originally Posted by CopperKnight View Post
    This has got to be one of the most hypocritical statements I have heard in a long time. He is saying "We don't want them here, but it's OK to make them and sell them to other places." Guess I shouldn't be surprised. Bleah!
    That was exactly my first reaction.

I live in Illinois and I hate this stupid state. Right now, if I fail my paramedic test on the first try, there are no more tests scheduled for July because our General Assembly can't get their heads out of their rears for long enough to pass a budget!!

Dont even get me started about the gun laws!!
    If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace.
    --Thomas Paine December 19, 1776

The probability that we may fail in the struggle ought not deter us from the support of a cause we believe to be just.
    --Abraham Lincoln

http://jmm.aaa.net.au/articles/13226.htm

Quote Originally Posted by CopperKnight View Post
    They want the tax income from the manufacturer.
    "When a man attempts to deal with me by force, I answer himóby force.
    "... No, I do not share his evil or sink to his concept of morality: I merely grant him his choice, destruction, the only destruction he had the right to choose: his own." -John Galt, Atlas Shrugged

Distinguished Member Array randytulsa2's Avatar
    Come to the Sooner State, boys. We haven't had a whole lot of good manufacturing jobs pumped into the state in a long time.

And you ain't never gonna get Illinois (or NYC or DC) kinda laws here, boys.

Never.
    "...bad decisions that turn out well often make heroes."

Gary D. Mitchell, A Sniper's Journey: The Truth About the Man and the Rifle, P. 103, NAL Caliber books, 2006, 1st Ed.

Come on down to North Texas!

What's the pits is the sheer cost of moving a business like this can be tough to recoup. These lawmakers like to think they can dictate to the poor businessman not realizing they can easily break your budget and put you under. If forced to move all that lost revenue and moving expenses has to come from some where, we aren't allowed to print more like he govt!
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

I'm really happy to have escaped from that place. Still have to break one daughter out of there and get her back to the civilized world. I'm working on it.

I hope all the gun manufactures move out of Ill. and I hope it leaves a huge loss in their tax income.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links