Make your own firearm?

This is a discussion on Make your own firearm? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Anybody have any idea at all what would be needed to legally make a few firearms or your own design? I'm guessing that somebody at ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Make your own firearm?

Question Make your own firearm?

Anybody have any idea at all what would be needed to legally make a few firearms or your own design? I'm guessing that somebody at the ATF or something made some rule to make it prohibitive, but if anyone knows anything, let's hear it.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

2. Remove Ads

I know it's not exactly what you are asking but someone I know has a class III FFL which allows him to manufacture and shoot automatic weapons. By manufacture, he buys guns with the receiver cut into 3 pieces or whatever the ATF says and uses all of the parts except the receiver. He makes a new one of those from scratch. I don't know any more details about that but it would lead me to believe there is some sort of FFL license that would allow you to manufacture a firearm.

if it is for your personal use and it conforms to federal and state laws then you can make any firearm that you wish with no paperwork involved. This is a big sub-hobby for some of us.

assuming it is for your use and you aren't making it to sell then the following applies...
    Basically, asside from state level rules, it can't be automattic (unless you have a Class 2 SOT) is really the big one...if you can legally own the gun you are building then you can legally build it with zero paperwork required...this seems to be a very little known fact even among gun lovers.

Other than that it has to be registered in the NFA if it is an NFA weapon (rifle <16", shotgun<18", AOW, etc, etc) of course.

Legally many people go out to their garage and bend AK receivers, mill AR-15 receivers, etc all the time...there is a whole mini-industry dedicated to so-called 80&#37; receivers. These are not firearms according to the ATF, but they are partially finished receivers that you put work into and get out an AK, AR, 1911, you name it.

I belive its just a form 4 that needs to be filled out.

http://www.atf.gov/forms/pdfs/f53204.pdf

I would contact ATF themself and talk to one of their representatives as things change so often its crazy.
    To those that paid for my freedom,
    I WILL NEVER FORGET.

As with all statements I've made and All that I will make, please check your local laws to verify accuracy. (and if i'm wrong let me know as I like to be right in the future) After all I'm just some goofball posting on an internet forum.

Quote Originally Posted by LBrombach View Post
    I'm guessing that somebody at the ATF or something made some rule to make it prohibitive, but if anyone knows anything, let's hear it.
    oh and on this note...it's generally not shouted at the rooftops that one can build a gun with no paperwork. That is something that tends to make the antis and the sheeple want to pass more laws.

Quote Originally Posted by FknRa View Post
    I belive its just a form 4 that needs to be filled out.

http://www.atf.gov/forms/pdfs/f53204.pdf

I would contact ATF themself and talk to one of their representatives as things change so often its crazy.
    form 4 only needs to be filled out if the item is going into the NFA registery. Otherwise no federal paperwork required...and just to be technical (as the ATF will be) it's a form 1 to build

Wow, that was quick. Thanks guys. I'm not sure why I want to, but I have some oddball things I'd like to make, just because I think I can. How about this, what would make something na "other destructive device" as opposed to a firearm? For instance:

Pen gun: pistol or destructive device?

What about a gun made out of resin (remember the movie "In the Line of Fire?")
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!

Quote Originally Posted by LBrombach View Post
    Wow, that was quick. Thanks guys. I'm not sure why I want to, but I have some oddball things I'd like to make, just because I think I can. How about this, what would make something na "other destructive device" as opposed to a firearm? For instance:

Pen gun: pistol or destructive device?

What about a gun made out of resin (remember the movie "In the Line of Fire?")
    pen gun is an AOW (any other weapon). $200 NFA tax to build (unless you are a manufacturer) and $5 to transfer. You can look up the definition of the different NFA weapons online for a precise legal definition, but cell phone gun, cane gun, pen guns are all AOWs
    resin gun? really?

Senior Member Array Daddy Warcrimes's Avatar
    http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/faq2.htm#m
    Some examples of the types of firearms that must be registered are:

Machine guns;

The frames or receivers of machine guns;

Any combination of parts designed and intended for use in converting weapons into machine guns;

Any part designed and intended solely and exclusively for converting a weapon into a machine gun;

Any combination of parts from which a machine gun can be assembled if the parts are in the possession or under the control of a person;

Silencers and any part designed and intended for fabricating a silencer;

Short-barreled rifles;

Short-barreled shotguns;

Destructive devices; and,

"Any other weapon."

A few examples of destructive devices are:

Molotov cocktails;

Anti-tank guns (over caliber .50);

Bazookas; and,

Mortars.

A few examples of "any other weapon" are:

H&R Handyguns;

Ithaca Auto-Burglar guns;

Cane guns; and,

Gadget-type firearms and "pen" guns which fire a projectile by the action of an explosive.
    "and suddenly I can not hold back my sword hand's anger"

DaddyWarcrimes.com

Also, AFAIK, you can not transfer the firearm you build to anyone else as long as you are living. You can will it to someone once you shuffle off this mortal coil, but you can't sell or give it away while you are still living.

My big question is: what happens if you're carrying your own creation and have to interact with LE, or worse, have to use it in self defense? If very few gun nuts know you can legally create and posess a firearm with no make, model or serial number - I bet even fewer street cops know this. You better have your attorney on speed dial.

Joe

Member Array Intentional Flincher's Avatar
    Anyone read about the guy selling the "kits" for a 50BMG pistol?
    A witty saying proves nothing.

Voltaire

There are lots of plans to build your own AK, and lots of parts to pick from too. 1,000 "gunsmiths" in Kashmir can't be all wrong.........

I have often wondered about this topic. Thanks for asking and thanks to everyone who provided info.

That's why this is such a great site.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    No form necessary in the free states . All atf requires for sale/gifting even is to stamp it with manufactures info ( your name and addy ) and a serial no. Anyone interested in doing a home build i strongly suggest that you join http://www.homegunsmith.com/ forums . Good bunch of guys over there as well as a wealth of info .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Excellent Redneck. Thanks to all.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links