SIG P220 Carry SAS vs. Kimber Ultra CDP

This is a discussion on SIG P220 Carry SAS vs. Kimber Ultra CDP within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I know this isn't really apples to apples, but its what I'm faced with at the moment. I've got the oppurtunity to get a used ...

Thread: SIG P220 Carry SAS vs. Kimber Ultra CDP

I know this isn't really apples to apples, but its what I'm faced with at the moment. I've got the oppurtunity to get a used P220 Carry SAS or a used Kimber (1st genereation) Ultra CDP. I like both guns, probably won't carry either one, can't afford both at the same time. Prices are within $50 of each other. I'm thinking it'll be easier for me to find a compact or commander style 1911 later on, and I should go ahead and get the SAS. I've got a weak spot for the SAS. The grips fit my hand better than the stock SAS grips and I like the melt. CDP is definitely easier to conceal FOR ME, and has what I consider to be a medium melt-job. I have no 1911's and I'm not used to a SAO pistol. Everything else in my stable is a SA/DA, DOA, or DAK. Sway me one way or the other please.
    CARRY GUNS:
    S&W 638, Ruger LCP, Kimber Ultra CDP

JD
    Administrator
    I like both guns, probably won't carry either one
    If your not carrying either, why buy to guns specificly designed (and priced higher) for carry?

If your not going to carry either, why does concealment matter?

If your not used to SAO, the Kimber CDP is pricey starter for 1911s that you may not like.

I LOVE my 1911s, more so than my Sig, but in your case I'd go with the Sig.

Probably won't carry either, but I like having the option. I have a thing for melted guns. Just really like the look and feel (kinda like 90's 'Vettes vs 2007 'Vettes, just an improvement of a good thing). I had about the same deal on an Ultra Raptor, but liked the CDP better.

Both are used $1k guns (roughly) for mid $700's minus the trade-in of my Ruger P90, unless I can find someone to buy it prior to. So the $$ is allowing me to jump a little higher than normal. I've got the P239SAS in .40S&W and love it, so I am leaning more towards the SIG. SAO is just something I'd have to practice and get used to. I don't have the muscle memory to un-safety the 1911 consistently.
    CARRY GUNS:

JD
    Administrator
    Well If you don't plan on carrying it, I don't see the SAO to be a problem, but if your looking for a range shooter, I'd go with which ever has the longer bbl. The Sig 220 Carry has a 3.9" while the CDP Ultra only has a 3"

Both are really nice guns, my wife has a CDP Ultra series I and I have a regular 220 as well as multiple 1911s.

The 220 Carry has one more round than a CDP (pending on mags 2 more).

I'm more 50/50 on it, the Sig is a nice gun, but Kimber series 1s are hard to find, especially a CDP Ultra series 1. But as statred above, your more comfortable with a DAO gun.

Even though you say you don't plan on carrying either, I'm sure you will accidently carry one down the road.

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post

Even though you say you don't plan on carrying either, I'm sure you will accidently carry one down the road.
    Who me? The CDP is in excellent shape too. That's what the decision is so hard. Dec 2000 gun with low rounds gone through it.
    CARRY GUNS:

JD
    Administrator

Talking

I reverse my opinion, get the CDP, the 220 Carry SAS will be easier to find later. The series 1 is not, if you don't like the CDP Ultra, I'll take it off your hands to have a set of Kimber Ultra CDP 1s\

Im partial to sigs, I have shot 1911's before but there just not my bag. Both are good guns, If it was up to me, I would get the sig. No offense to the 1911 guys, but they are known to be problematic, espically the short barreled ones.
    كافر(Infidel)
    He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.
    Friedrich Nietzsche, Beyond Good and Evil, Aphorism 146
    German philosopher (1844 - 1900)

Vote for the Sig

It sounds like this will be more of a range and home defense gun than a carry gun. In that case I would go with the larger gun, which is the Sig P220 Carry SAS. It has a longer barrel and weighs more than the Kimber Ultra CDP, so it will be easier to shoot well.

The 3 inch Kimber is strictly a CCW gun in my opinion. If you are going to get your first 1911, you should probably start with a full size steel 1911, which will be more pleasant to shoot and learn on. Later you can always buy a 3 inch 1911 if you decide you like that format. I have a 3 inch 1911 (Colt Defender) but I do most of my 1911 shooting with full size steel guns which are heavier and more durable.

I vote for the Kimber. They won't be any easier to find later.

Get the Kimber...

I have the Ultra CDP II...love the gun...never a problem...

OMO

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Kimber, you don't have a 1911, try something new.

It won't be your main carry so you will have time to get used to it.
    "When a man attempts to deal with me by force, I answer himóby force.
    "... No, I do not share his evil or sink to his concept of morality: I merely grant him his choice, destruction, the only destruction he had the right to choose: his own." -John Galt, Atlas Shrugged

I am admittedly prejudiced here. For me there are now two kinds of handguns in the world, Sigs and Other. Go Sig!!!!!

I believe I solved me-dilemma. I'm selling the Ruger, buying the SIG and putting the CDP on layaway and pay her off a little at a time.

Thanks for the help.
    CARRY GUNS:

JD
    Administrator
    Sounds like a good plan to me!

Senior Moderator
    Good Deal. You won't be disappointed in either.

Sponsored Links