Why I don't like to shoot steel plates.... merged

This is a discussion on Why I don't like to shoot steel plates.... merged within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; or other uncertain backstops. http://madogre.com/powerhouse/50caliber.wmv Hopefully George at www.Madogre.com doesn't get mad at me for linking this one. This guy is lucky. .50 BMG at ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why I don't like to shoot steel plates.... merged

Distinguished Member Array SonofASniper's Avatar

Why I don't like to shoot steel plates.... merged

or other uncertain backstops.

http://madogre.com/powerhouse/50caliber.wmv

Hopefully George at www.Madogre.com doesn't get mad at me for linking this one.

This guy is lucky. .50 BMG at 100 yds and it bounces back and tags him in the forehead. He is being advised to buy lottery tickets right now because he is obviously on a REALLY BIG GOOD LUCK STREAK.

Check out the blog for the full story.
    I will support gun control when you can guarantee all guns are removed from this planet. That includes military and law enforcement. When you can accomplish that, then I will be the last person to lay down my gun. Then I will carry the weapon that replaces the gun.

2. Remove Ads

Holy cow that is one lucky dude. I love the guys comments, "we're no gonna do that no more", well I'd hope not.

Distinguished Member Array Dakotaranger's Avatar
    Heck, if he were a cat I would think he used up eight of his lives on that one....I'm guessing he also used up all his luck for the next 20 yrs.

At least his companions were smart enough to be way behind him.
    "[T]he people are not to be disarmed of their weapons.
    They are left in full possession of them."

Zacharia Johnson (speech in the Virginia Ratifying Convention,25 June 1778)"The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." ~Alexander Hamilton

WOW and OUCH!!!!

Why did they not show his wound? It seems they purposely kept the camera away from his face. Call me cinical, but the video just leaves me with the feeling of it being staged.

I shoot steel all the time and though we do have occasionally have bounce back, it's always been a result improper target angle and the bounce back is never strait back as shown. YMMV.

I checked out his sight. Very interesting stuff. It will give me another place to kill time when thing are slow.
    'The assailant chooses the time, location and method of attack.

Since they are unlikely to let you know ahead of time when, where and how violent they're going to be, you should always be prepared.' - matiki

VIP Member
    I guess I'm just a pessimist, but to me it seems incredibly UNLUCKY to get hit in the head from a ricochet at 100 yards. Lucky would be NOT getting hit at all, right?

I had a friend in HS that shot himself along the crease of his palm while trying to clear a jam in a little POS .25 Auto. He went on and on about how “lucky” he was that he only received a minor flesh wound. I could only imagine how lucky I must be to not have shot myself at all…
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Hehe, well at least he made the shot...

Lead Moderator
    I too am highly skeptical of the video. .50 BMG was designed /used for light armor penetration. Lots of power and punch in the round. Must be some thick metal to make it deflect back.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

I cal bull! We have shot AR 550 steel at less than and over 100 yards and have never failed to have complete penetration.

As for shooting steel, we shoot steel all the time and as long as you practice good safety (not shooting steel at less than about 12 yards or so), good eye protection and hearing protection you won't have anything serious happen.

Using frangible ammo you can get up really close and have fun.
    Ken Forbus Owner of FIREARMZ
    FIREARMZ FORUM

Senior Moderator
    I too am highly skeptical of the video
    I'm not. I beleive it. I've had some .50 API bounce back from hitting a rock over a hundred yards away and drop right in front of me while staying lit and spinning like a top shooting red fire everywhere in a circle.

The bullet hit the ground in front of him first.By the sound of it, it was spinning. No way is that staged.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post

The bullet hit the ground in front of him first.By the sound of it, it was spinning. No way is that staged.
    It is possible it was staged. some sound effects, and someone off camera setting off a squib, or firing a bullet into the ground and there ya go.
    Is it staged? I cannot say for sure, but it is possible.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

No way is that staged.
    No offense but I have some beach front real estate I'm willing to sell, it's in Arizona.

I don't think it was staged. I think that too many people jump to the "staged" label whenever an interesting video appears on the internet. Sure a lot of them are fakes...and that's why many people automatically assume that something is bogus. Here's my take on it.
    I say that it was either a) not the bullet flying back to hit him (piece of target or something else maybe) or b) only part of the bullet came back. All things considered I say that it was a one in a million event caught on tape. Heck stranger things have happened. I'm a believer until shown otherwise.

ETA:
    I'm not. I beleive it. I've had some .50 API bounce back from hitting a rock over a hundred yards away and drop right in front of me while staying lit and spinning like a top shooting red fire everywhere in a circle.
    correction to my above post...it's a TWO in a million event

Quote Originally Posted by OPFOR View Post
    I guess I'm just a pessimist, but to me it seems incredibly UNLUCKY to get hit in the head from a ricochet at 100 yards. Lucky would be NOT getting hit at all, right?

I had a friend in HS that shot himself along the crease of his palm while trying to clear a jam in a little POS .25 Auto. He went on and on about how “lucky” he was that he only received a minor flesh wound. I could only imagine how lucky I must be to not have shot myself at all…
    i see the luck as being shot and being able to walk it off and stil be around to talk about it. how many people get hit with a .50 round and are still able to talk about the experience.
    People are more violently opposed to fur than leather because it's safer to harass rich women than motorcycle gangs.

The bullet comes straight back and hits him in the head. You can see it hit the dirt about 15 feet in front on him before it clobbers him.
    This caught me as a bit humorous . . . the first statement is obviously false in light of the second statement, but definitely more dramatic. Watching the video it is obvious that the bullet did not come straight back, but took a rather high ballistic arc. The fact that it did hit the ground and dissipated energy first is probably what saved him. I'm curious what the target actually was and if the bullet didn't strike a rock buried in the backdrop causing a rock/bullet fragment to go flying in the air.
    "Lord, help me to be the person my dog thinks I am."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links