Decal Grip Issues--advice appreciated.:)

This is a discussion on Decal Grip Issues--advice appreciated.:) within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Hi guys! So I have a question for ya. I recently purchased some Decal Grip for my G-23 (finger groove model), both the sandpaper version ...

Thread: Decal Grip Issues--advice appreciated.:)

Hi guys!

So I have a question for ya. I recently purchased some Decal Grip for my G-23 (finger groove model), both the sandpaper version and the rubber version.

I'd like to know what people think about using this product (either the sandpaper or the rubber style), and also how it works/conflicts with their carry holster/style.

My intent initially was to put some of the material in between the finger grooves, and a little on the backstrap, but to leave the rest of the handgun untouched by the stuff. I thought that if my fingers (where they wrap around the finger grooves) and the meaty portion between my thumb and index finger (were it wraps around the backstrap) were in contact with the material, that that would suffice for adequate grip in wet/sweaty conditions.

Any and all input is greatly appreciated.

As an aside, in order to get the material in between the finger grooves, I would have to make a stencil, as Decal Grip is not pre-cut for that area of the handgun. Any advice on this, as well, is greatly appreciated.

--Dan

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    I have used skateboard tape on various autos that i was not going to keep for years . It provides all the advantages of a custom checker job on a hp or 1911 without the expense or modification that might hurt sale price . I never honestly considered it for a glock tho , even my old first gen 17, it just did not seem to need it i guess .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Thanks for the input! Greatly appreciated. :)

Great post, but not necessarily appropriate for the holster forum. I'm moving it to the "General Firearms Discussion" forum instead.

Thanks Gary! And by the way, when you have a chance, would you mind sharing your own opinions/experiences/advice with this issue?

Best wishes,

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by PhillyGlock23 View Post
    Thanks Gary! And by the way, when you have a chance, would you mind sharing your own opinions/experiences/advice with this issue?

Best wishes,

Dan
    Hi Dan,

Sure, you bet. I have used either rubber grip sleeves (like Hogues) or skateboard tape on every defensive handgun I own. The only exception is my little Kel-Tec P32 - it just does not have much room on the grip frame.

My personal preference is to apply a narrow strip of the skateboard tape (about 3/8" wide) on both the front strap and backstraps of the grip frames. On Glocks, I fill in the checkering (which is absolutely worthless, imho) with epoxy first so the tape has more surface area to bond to). This way, my clothes do not snag & print, nor does it rub my skin raw - but I still get a good grip and excellent control.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Well IMHO gary has the glock answer , but i have to disagree with the " sleeve . For me i do not like then , but then i normaly dont like sticky ruber gripps either .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Repairs View Post
    Well IMHO gary has the glock answer , but i have to disagree with the " sleeve . For me i do not like then , but then i normaly dont like sticky ruber gripps either .
    I agree in part - the rubber sleeves are my least favorite of the two approaches.

Another factor is simply that what works for one person will not do for another. That's why there are so many options out there...

Thanks a bunch for the opinions! I went out this afternoon and bought an Exacto knife. I think I'm going to give the rubber ones a try.

Just curious...how easy is it to take the rubber or sandpaper grips off of the pistol if I decide they aren't for me? I didn't see "those" instructions on the card. Thanks so much!

Lead Moderator
    I used skateboard tape on the front and backstrap on a smooth surface pistol grip. seems to work well. The grip sleeves seemed to be o.k. but after 10 yrs or so they wear out.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Quote Originally Posted by PhillyGlock23 View Post
    Thanks a bunch for the opinions! I went out this afternoon and bought an Exacto knife. I think I'm going to give the rubber ones a try.

Just curious...how easy is it to take the rubber or sandpaper grips off of the pistol if I decide they aren't for me? I didn't see "those" instructions on the card. Thanks so much!
    A dab of mineral spirits cleans most tape adhesive right off. On a polymer surface, I'd suggest then washing the area off with denatured alcohol, followed by soap and water. I do not know whether the polymer would be damaged by the mineral spirits residue or not, but I would not want to find out, either.

Thanks for the great info. It's always such a relief to know that there are firearms experts on this board willing to share their knowledge with all who ask. Have a great night and thanks again!

--Dan

ANOTHER QUESTION: I have a DefCon and MaxCon from Gary on order. Does anybody know if I would have a problem holstering my pistol if I put the grip tape on the underside of the trigger guard?

Thanks!

M2
    I have the rubber TractionGrips on my XD-45ACP, and to be honest they do rub my back a bit when I use my IWB holster. Still, the additional grip is worth the slight irritation...

Cheers! M2

Sponsored Links