Cocktail Ammo in Magazines?

This is a discussion on Cocktail Ammo in Magazines? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Through the years of tactical rifle/ handgun classes, LEO relations and "Gun Shop Commandos" Ive heard a lot of talk about whats the best ammo ...

Thread: Cocktail Ammo in Magazines?

Question Cocktail Ammo in Magazines?

Through the years of tactical rifle/ handgun classes, LEO relations and "Gun Shop Commandos" Ive heard a lot of talk about whats the best ammo to have in your magazines.

Some have even talked about different rounds in a single magazine.
    I personally keep all HP's in my handguns.

But its an interesting thing to ponder. Anyone carry a magazine with different loads in it? For instance half HP's and Half FMJ?
    Or maybe One HP after a FMJ and so on....
    Primary Carry Gun: Sig Sauer 229~R (.40cal w/ Golden Saber JHP's)

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    This was covered in another thread not too long ago...let me see if I can find it for you.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by OPFOR View Post
    This was covered in another thread not too long ago...let me see if I can find it for you.
    Sorry about that. I did do a search, but it seems you need to be very exact in what your looking for when you do search.

VIP Member
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by Sig229 View Post
    Anyone carry a magazine with different loads in it?
    Mix-n-match? It's an invitation to cycling failure, IMO.

I figure that a given gun a preferred diet of ammo. Once found, I can't see anything as being important enough to change the fact that this gun's most accurate with that one, specific bullet.

So, I'm a one-bullet kind of guy. In the CZ P01, hands down, the most accurate bullets I have found are these two: DoubleTap 9mm JHP 124gr +P, and Federal Hydrashok Tactical 9mm JHP 124gr +P+. Nothing even comes close, with respect to feed/eject reliability and smoothness. I carried the Feds for much of last year, and the DT's are in the P01 now. It so happens that both feed exceptionally well in my Browning BDM, too. That makes purchases fairly simple.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member
    Well, since Sig229 carries (presumably) a Sig P229, I doubt he's going to have reliability issues with any half-decent ammo...

I tend to be in ccw9mm's camp on this. At least regarding autoloading pistols. I feel if you want FMJ's for penetration, then carry a spare mag full of 'em. Nothing wrong with having some special purpose ammo with you, just keep them in their own seperate magazine/s.

The only thing I would feel comfortable having a "candycane" load would be in a pump action shotgun, where you might want some buck shot up front followed by a slug and then alternating. However I don't even do that, although I wouldn't be opposed to it.

I keep 00 buckshot in the magazine on my 590 Mossberg with 00 buckshot in the receiver mounted side saddle and 6 slugs in an Eagle Industries butt stock carrier for the special purpose rounds.

Then I have a bandoleer that has groupings of twenty 00 Buck, ten #1 Buck, ten slugs, and five compressed lead breaching rounds for door locks and hinges. I have two empty loops separating each of the groupings and the slugs loaded in reverse direction so I know what's where on the bandoleer.

Just what works for me. YMMV
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

1943 - 2009
    Here's an absurd example of alternating rounds in a magazine by two so-called "experts" who wrote the book reviewed here:

The first is their "mix & match" concept, or loading a magazine with dissimilar ammunition for maximum effects. The book's example shows a staggered column 14 round mag, loaded thus: (top to bottom). 2 shotshells, followed by 2 JHPs, then 4 star point peelers (whatever they are), then 2 light weight penetrators, followed by 2 heavy weight penetrators, then a tracer round, then the last round in the mag is another heavy weight penetrator.

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

Quote Originally Posted by OPFOR View Post
    Well, since Sig229 carries (presumably) a Sig P229, I doubt he's going to have reliability issues with any half-decent ammo...
    This is true.
    I can feed any of my Sig's total junk ammo and high dollar stuff. They all function great.
    Even ammo thats a little dirty.

Sponsor
    Then I have a bandoleer that has groupings of twenty 00 Buck, ten #1 Buck, ten slugs, and five compressed lead breaching rounds for door locks and hinges. I have two empty loops separating each of the groupings and the slugs loaded in reverse direction so I know what's where on the bandoleer.

Bark'n

I've got a similiar 55 shell setup for the 12 ga. double barrel shorty. Two then an empty loop. The bandolier carries #4 buck and 00, #4's in front, 00 in back.

The 25 rd waist bandlolier belt holds slugs. Both belts will also feed the Ithaca 9 shot M+P featherweight two at a time as well set up this way.

To answer the OP, I sometimes carry ball ammo in a spare mag. I don't mix and match a mag however I'd have no problem mixing ball in the HP mag, I just don't.

Brownie
    The mind is the limiting factor

Quick Kill Rifle and Pistol Instructor

Distinguished Member Array 4my son's Avatar
    As far as feeding, my glock has eaten anything I feed it. The only mix n match would maybe be whole mags, maybe JHP's in the gun, and a mag of FMJ's on the belt, I know Murphey would bite me in the and the top rounds would be the last ones I would want for the situation I ended up in.

I hadn't thought about a tracer round down near the bottom, kind of a visual (almost out) indicator.
    "fundamental principle of American law that a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any individual citizen." [Warren v. District of Columbia,(D.C. Ct. of Ap., 1981)]
    If I have to explain it, you wouldn't understand

Quote Originally Posted by 4my son View Post

I hadn't thought about a tracer round down near the bottom, kind of a visual (almost out) indicator.
    But never forget Tracers always lets the enemy know exactly where your at too!

A pistol, this isnt too much to worry about, but tracers in defense rifles.....well thats not my bag.

The best thing to do, is when you shoot ALWAYS count your shots.
    After time, this becomes second nature and your brain can do it automatically.
    That would be a better option IMHO than tracers.

Links