Range Log Software?

This is a discussion on Range Log Software? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I keep a basic range log - date of visit, guns used, rounds fired. Presently I'm using a small journal, I'd like to start doing ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Range Log Software?

Range Log Software?

I keep a basic range log - date of visit, guns used, rounds fired.

Presently I'm using a small journal, I'd like to start doing it on my Mac.

Two questions:

If you keep a log on your computer, what information do you log?

Do you know of a good freeware/shareware program set up as a range log template?

Thanks.

2. Remove Ads

I just use excel. I keep one log per gun. I record the date, number of rounds fired that day, total number of rounds fired to date, mag used and total number of rounds through that mag to date, type of ammo, and random notes like any malfunctions.

I too use excel but I don't use it for every gun I own. Mainly I log my carry pieces

Quote Originally Posted by Whyveear View Post
    and random notes like any malfunctions.
    This can be VERY valuable information. malfunctions, which mag, and what position in the mag, etc, etc, etc. can all be very helpful in trying to track down a seemingly random malfunction. After a few visits you might notice a pattern.

I asked about specific range log software hoping that there would be something that would tally my totals for me, rather than add it up myself... lazy, I know.

Senior Member Array Daddy Warcrimes's Avatar
    I'm working on an MS Access database. I bet something could be done with MySQL or OpenOffice Base (both free), but I'm unfamiliar with those.

I prefer a database to a spreadsheet because I can cross reference data. So far my plan includes:
    Weapon maintenance. Record cleanings, spring replacement, barrel replacement etc.
    Ammo purchase. Keep a count of how many of what type of rounds I have.
    Range fire. How many of what type of ammo in what gun associated with some metric (shot group perhaps?) This would adjust the ammo count, indicate when maintenance is due, and allow me to compare the performance of different ammo (or evaluate training, optics, etc).

This is more an exercise with Access than something I need.
    "and suddenly I can not hold back my sword hand's anger"

DaddyWarcrimes.com

Assistant Administrator
    Spreadsheet tho Pete will still enable ''doing the math'' if you set out the rows and columns to suit. Initially it's a case of getting the template right, and after that it becomes virtually a dedicated log.

I'm all for skirting around the ''lazy'' factor
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry View Post

I'm all for skirting around the ''lazy'' factor

Me too, except when I'm adding up the past 12 months ammo used, just did YTD and it prompted me to let the computer do it next time.

Another reason for wanting to keep a better log is that I should be reloading soon.

I'm a software developer by trade. I'd be interested in talking to those who have already started spreadsheets, to discuss building a database driven application.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    I asked about specific range log software
    It exists. I've seen it, but comparing it to my excel logs, I prefer excel.

hoping that there would be something that would tally my totals for me, rather than add it up myself... lazy, I know.
    Excel adds it up for you.

Anyone running a Mac application/program that can share their preferences?

Pete im using excel on my Mac but they also make a program dont remember anymore but allows you to use excell stuff with otu the program

and as said ill take the excel over the prebought stuff

I looked through 'finder' but I don't see Excel on this Mac... I guess I declined it as an option when I bought it. I have a Macbook FWIW.

Anything freeware/shareware I should be looking at?

try downloads.com and see what they have to run excel on the mac i used on my tower before the hard drive crashed but excel i got for the laptop and dont remember the name of the program

Senior Moderator
    Okay, I do things I MIGHT bit differently. Because I run a website I run my range longs on the website.

My range long is HERE.

I like to keep pictures of my targets but I don't keep the actual targets because of space.. virtual space is a lot easier to manage than physical space.

While at the range I keep track of all of my rounds and what is shot on the actual targets themselves. When I come home I use my own "template" I've made to upload those targets and dialog to my site. Then I can keep it and view it and also let other people see it and comment on it if they should choose to do so.

I guess I could do it on excel. I know excel very well. It would be easy to set up a range long on there.

I guess it would be necessary to know your "needs."

Do you want to keep pictures, do you want to keep track of rounds, do you want scores? What do you need?

If worse came to worse you could always set up a database on something like FileMaker Pro 8. In that program you could sort by shots fired, range time, score, pictures, anything you could possibly want, but you need FileMaker Pro to do it in. I could set it up easily enough but I'd need to know you had the software to support it.

I do a very informal job of it. Each pistol has a separate file containing copies of all paper work, ads and reviews, and a digital copy of the manual and exploded views.

For the range visits, I use a simple word document listing first the total number of rounds of each type of ammo fired through the gun, and then dated entries (current day listed first) of what I shot and how well it was all working. Similar entries are made when any modification is made to the gun.

It ain't fancy, but it works for me. Looking back over a year's entries, I noticed that I either complained about the cold, damp, horribly windy weather, or how hot it was and how bad the yellow flies were.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links