What is a good caliber size Rifle for hunting???

This is a discussion on What is a good caliber size Rifle for hunting??? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have never been hunting and want to start so I am looking for a hunting rifle but, not sure what size caliber to get. ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: What is a good caliber size Rifle for hunting???

What is a good caliber size Rifle for hunting???

I have never been hunting and want to start so I am looking for a hunting rifle but, not sure what size caliber to get. I was considering maybe a .223 or a .270. I have also heard you should not get anything less than .270 is this true. I may just opt for a .308/.306. I will be using it for hunting white tail deer. I do have a 30/30 but not sure if that is big enough for hunting. I want to buy a M4 .223/5.56 because I am in the military. Anybody have suggestions? Any input is appreciated.
    Harley 91
    "For those who fight for it, Freedom has a flavor the protected will never know"!
    Kimber Ultra CDP II .45, Kimber Custom II
    XD 9mm sc, XD 40 sc, .357 Colt King Cobra,
    .22 Berreta Bobcat

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Ok first input just what game you want to hunt ... then we will have lots of suggestions .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Deer, white tail.
    Harley 91
    "For those who fight for it, Freedom has a flavor the protected will never know"!
    Kimber Ultra CDP II .45, Kimber Custom II
    XD 9mm sc, XD 40 sc, .357 Colt King Cobra,
    .22 Berreta Bobcat

Distinguished Member Array Der Alte's Avatar
    A .223 may work well for varmints but if you are considering deer or antelope its way to light - also doesn't have the range you would need. I'm one of those that will stick with the old tried and true 30-06. If you are hunting in heavy brush the Marlin .35 is an excellant weapon. Let us know what you are planning to do.
    Its a shame that youth is wasted on the young.

RR is right .. The 30-06 Will Take any game on North America if you can shoot.. So will a 7MM MAG

From there its all personal preferance I use a 300 Mag for a lot of my hunting .. But over the past few years have used about anything i can get my hands on

Deer anything from 25-06 to 458 mag if your up to it but 30-06 would be a fine and easy to find rifle

Assistant Administrator
    Opinion will always vary but I believe from what I hear that TX whitetails are not over large. If say around the 120# region then the other factor is range.

Here in PA it is common to take shots within 100 yards. Taking that as a base line then you could manage fine with a .243 but IMO .270 is a good base level.

Beyond this .308 Win or 30-06 is probably gonna come out tops as then you have better longer range options if needed but also a round that is not overly costly. A well placed 165 Ballistic Tip for example out of a .308 will drop a white tail very reliably.

.223 is not on the list even tho a good shot placement could work - better keep that for varminting.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Ok harley , that is a start , depending on where in tx you are a .243 or a .308 will fill the bill nicely and you can find ammo in any mom and pop shop throuout tx . If you think you will move on to varments get the .243 , if you think you will move to the mountain states for heavyer deer and or elk get the .308 . either will serve you well there tho for deer . I suggest that you look at the NEW savages , they are a lot of gun for the money with a great trigger out of the box .. a good first rifle . I hope this helps , but so much of what rifle do i need is dependant on what i want to hunt , and where i live that you have to provide info .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .

lot of places a 223 is illegal to hunt dear with it is here..

Quote Originally Posted by harley91 View Post
    I will be using it for hunting white tail deer. I do have a 30/30 but not sure if that is big enough for hunting.
    Not to spoil getting a new rifle, but those 30/30's have put thousands of white tails in Kansas freezers. Unless TX deer are long range shots, buy the .223 just for fun.

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    If you go with the 30-30, pick up some of the new Hornady LeverEvolution ammunition. You get a flatter trajectory, longer range, more energy, and better terminal performance.

The 30-30 will start ya' out fine, unless they're way off.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Just wanted to mention that Field and Stream has an article in the July 2007 Issue "The Last Cartridge Guide You'll ever need".
    May want to take a look. Tried to find it online but didn't have any luck.

Edit: Myself I plan on using my 30-30 Marlin 336xlr with the lever evolution ammo,
    unfortunately I wasn't able to try it last year due to a business trip so can't relay any experience.

Lead Moderator
    30-30 should do just fine. Might want to find out if you like deer hunting before you spend too much.
    On that note, you do not need all the wiz bang , super duper scents , calls, heat seeking scopes, sent lock clothing, ect to hunt successfully. If our forefathers could do it with a muzzleloader and a once a year bath, I think we can make do with modern firearms and a shower once a day.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Rocky ... you are such a spoil sport lol .

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links