Hearing Protection

Hearing Protection

This is a discussion on Hearing Protection within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; What type/style hearprotection works best for you? Are the electronic muffs best as they can also raise hearing ability (converserational sound) while being worn...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hearing Protection

Hearing Protection

What type/style hearprotection works best for you? Are the electronic muffs best as they can also raise hearing ability (converserational sound)
    while being worn
    It is not wrong to be Right
    An apeaser is a man who hopes that the crocidle eats him last

Assistant Administrator
    Electronics are OK for most stuff, as long as their attentuation speed and reduced level are adequate - most seem to be.

If however shooting something like .308 from under cover, a secondary set of ear plugs underneath does help - in other words, the electronic ones do not always have the attenuation desirable for real loud stuff.

The benefit is of course yeah - they help you to hear 'normally'' between shots/shooting.

A reminder too - if studying the decibel figures .... the scale is not linear. Every 3dB is a doubling or halving of sound energy.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

I agree with P95 on the double protection of muffs and plugs. I bought a pair of Caldwell electronic for about $35 that work well for .22 to .45 ACP. But the Moisen-Nagant and the .348 Win require the double-up protection.

Senior Moderator
    just the regular muffs for me.

Senior Moderator
    I use the Peltor Tacticals.
    Low profile and I can hear normal voices when there are no shots.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Out in the desert with small groups, firing alone or in pairs at the most, regular foamies work for me. If I'm at the range, or shooting for qualification on duty, double EP's.
    TSgt. Lickey

It takes a college degree to break'em;
    and a high school education to fix'em!

I wear muff or foam plugs... sometimes both if shooting loud rifles.

I never tried the electronic muffs, but would like to try some out sometime. Would like to have a pair before going to one of the premier schools so I can hear range instructions and lessons easier.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

VIP Member
    EarInc Insta-Mold

Fantastic noise reduction and confortable IMHO. I shot Shotgun and AK without any problem. Some people like my wife just detest the idea of something in thier ears but I feel these are the best solution for me since sweat tends to accumulate inside the muffs and bothers me like crazy. They are custome made to fit your ears. The ones in the picture are my second set and I still have the old ones. They are supposed to last for 3 years but the old ones are 5 years old and still holding. They cost $40 with my local representative, it takes about 30 minutes to have them done and they can be made in different colors.
    Contact Ear Inc for the name of your local representative.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

I wear a pair of foam (-26db) plugs with electronic muffs (-24db) that have larger pads/covers over the ears. The combination works well for me, but I can still hear conversation-level speech at the range.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

What about some of these new Electronic types such as Walker's Game Ears and thnigs like that? I have muffes that I use in the pistol range, and ear plugs when at the Shotgun and Rifle Ranges, but I have been interested in looking at items such as the Walker's Game Ear. Apparently you can hear really well, and once the concussion of the sound wave hits the device, the device closes to protect your ear.

Anyone use these, or have had experience with them?
    NRA Member

"...the Constitution does not say Government shall decree the right to keep and bear arms. The Constitution says ‘the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.’” - Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by Curtis27 View Post
    What about some of these new Electronic types ... Anyone use these, or have had experience with them?
    Sure, as have several that posted. Good ones can be good. Particularly if combined with plugs, they protect against everything except the waves that enters through your skull. They allow hearing of conversational speech. They completely cover the ear with a thick/padded muff, which protects better than plugs alone. A good set won't have the electronics crap out within 2mos. They're expensive ($150+ for decent ones), but I like the performance boost they provide above plugs alone.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I have a pair of the Peltor electronic muffs (one pair is standard and the other has a strap around the back of the neck). Bought them when I was a range officer to be able to hear shooters talk. I like the wrap arounds because I can wear them comfortably with hats. Both work great...

Electronic muffs are great, particularly for training classes. The ability to easily listen to the instructor without taking off your ear protection is definitely an advantage.

I like the electric hearing muffs, So you can hear around you, I am range safety officer at my club when I give out commands its nice to hear everyone around you.

I have bad hearing as it is and when i started to shoot IDPA i couldn't even hear the timers go off with regular muffs. I had to have the SOs tap me on the shoulder when the beep beeped. I knew then that I had to get some of the powered muffs just so I could function properly at matches. Using the Peltors I can hear the beeps and other people talking when there is no shooting going on.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links