S&W Model 10: A Revolver For the Long Haul - Page 2

S&W Model 10: A Revolver For the Long Haul

This is a discussion on S&W Model 10: A Revolver For the Long Haul within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I carried a model 15 4" in the USAF Security Police,I know they made aftermarket grips that were larger than the factory grips,some of the ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree73Likes

Thread: S&W Model 10: A Revolver For the Long Haul

I carried a model 15 4" in the USAF Security Police,I know they made aftermarket grips that were larger than the factory grips,some of the SP's put them on their issued guns
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Awesome thread about an awesome wheelgun. Now I'm on the hunt for a 10-8 because I love the bull barrel.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

I just acquired a S&W model 10-2 snub nose. I remember seeing the model 10 snubbie in a lot of cop shows and thought they were inferior to the more modern semi autos. After shooting it, I have changed my mind. This .38 packs a lot of punch for it's size. It's a great addition to my collection.
    gatorbait51 and BamaT like this.

VIP Member
    Great thread, the first weapon I ever carried concealed was a 2-inch Model 10 issued by the USAF. While we carried the 2-inch we did qualify with the 4-inch Model 15. Just for nostalgia sake I just had to pick up a 2-inch Model 10 but I am still trying to find another holster like the one I used on active duty.

Mod_10_R.JPG
    gatorbait51 and OD* like this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Oh dear! We are dredging up the molded oldies.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Oh dear! We are dredging up the molded oldies.
    But they just get better and better, Bryan. Each time, they get better. You should be proud!
    gatorbait51 likes this.

The tyrant dies and his rule is over, the martyr dies and his rule begins. ― The Journals of Kierkegaard

Distinguished Member Array Wunderneun's Avatar
    When I and my team was tasked with transporting and loading TS targeting code tapes we were issued an M10 or M15.

It was the first revolver (and last) that I ever qualified with.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Peace Through Strength, Victory Through Devastation
    Devastation to your doorstep in 30 Minutes or Less. Minuteman III--- SAC WILL BE BACK!http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic80391_2.gif

I like all kinds of foreign guns. Walther, SIG-Sauer, and H&K.

My old Model 10 has taken most every thing that may be found in these parts of Texas including but not necessarily limited to: mice, rats, gophers, ground squirrels, snakes, turtles, birds, rabbits, jackrabbits, squirrels, armadillos, skunks ‘possums, ‘coons, ringtailed cats, a coyote, carp, gar, nutria, a few black bass, crow, duck, turkey, guinea fowl, feral dogs and cats, and deer.
    My favorite field load for the .38 Special, a 158 grain lead SWC over 4.8 grains of Unique, is generally what I use.
    No crickets or scorpions? Probably made those mice disappear in a "poof" of gray fuzz.

I bet you smile when you consider the $75 you paid, the guard that thought he'd made a "deal," and that you've more than gotten your monies worth. What's not to like.
    gatorbait51, bmcgilvray and BamaT like this.

The tyrant dies and his rule is over, the martyr dies and his rule begins. ― The Journals of Kierkegaard

I guess the first pistol I ever shot was at about the age 12. My Grandfather brought home, from the hardware store where he bought it, a brand new S&W .38 special.

It was something like the one in the OP. I dont have a clue what model it was, but was a beauty.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Senior Member Array Bigsteve113's Avatar
    Got a blued 10 skinny (it lives in my small bug out bag in my truck) and a stainless heavy barrel (64). Love them both, but I must admit , my favorite is my 4" 66 that I've been toting for 30 years now. K frames are the bomb !!!!! I am a huge fan of a similar load, 158 LSWC over 5 grains of Unique. Great general utility load, and a tack driver in all my K frames.

My S&W M10-14 is always with me when I go hunting, scouting, or general woods bumming. I thought that I was going to have to use it this year for a coup de grace on the buck I shot. When I walked up to it I wasn't aware where exactly the slug hit the animal. As I was lining up the sights for a shot he thankfully stopped thrashing about. I've been hoping to get a shot on a grouse with it this year. Unfortunately I haven't been able to get remotely close to these wiley birds this year, not even close enough for a shot with the shotgun. Lately I've been using a Lyman 358665 RNFP over 4.0gr of W231, it shoots extremely well in the M10. I have been Meaning to try that bullet with some Unique but haven't got around to it yet. Normally I like to use nothing but a 158gr SWC but that Lyman bullet is really growing on me.
    bmcgilvray likes this.

And my other favorite thread.

Model 10 a Classic....great gun especially with the bull Bbl.

At the end of the day a Model 10 is just a .38 Special, and it does it very well.

Got in on the deal at Bud's about 2 years ago and picked up a used M10 bull barrel, square butt for a decent price. I wanted it because my dad carried one for years as a cop and I really like revolvers. I love that gun. The action is like silk and it is a joy to shoot.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links