Thinking of a new Revolver....but not specifically for CCW

Thinking of a new Revolver....but not specifically for CCW

This is a discussion on Thinking of a new Revolver....but not specifically for CCW within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; This, I'm thinking is more of a ROAD TRIP piece to leave in my vehicle when I'm on vacation. I'll still be carrying on my ...

Question Thinking of a new Revolver....but not specifically for CCW

This, I'm thinking is more of a ROAD TRIP piece to leave in my vehicle when I'm on vacation. I'll still be carrying on my hip, this would be somewhat more accessible while we're on the road and hidden in a compartment when we leave the vehicle to sightsee.

http://www.impactguns.com/store/725327602125.html

http://www.taurususa.com/video/tauru...udge-video.cfm

That second one is a video link and you'll need flash player 8 to see it. But it is awesome. Like some feedback on this.

I'm ALSO thinking about the new 24/7 OSS edition. Looks a bit like a long-slide 45 but it also looks like a slender grip for my smallish hands. Capacity is 12+1. Grip looks a bit like the XD grip but the slide seems a bit more slender and better shaped than the XD. Blocky grips are something I don't DO. That's one reason I got rid of both My Glock M30 and my ParaOrd P10...well...okay the Para was a total POS, too.
    Last edited by ExSoldier; July 4th, 2007 at 10:52 PM. Reason: Add material
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Taurus's Judge has had a few threads about it here, the general consensus is that it is pig ugly but a great truck gun.

Cheap too...

Assistant Administrator
    I think Pete has that about nailed! I would certainly give it my consideration for the purpose described.

Doubt it'll get a huge serving of ammo compared to some so not likely to wear it out.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

It's a cannon, but Taurus puts the 'ribber grips' on it as standard IIRC, they go a long way to making the recoil painless.

Distinguished Member Array Doc Holliday's Avatar
    Ex,
    I have a couple of questions about The Judge .410 revolver. What would you plan loading in it?

1. If you load it with birdshot it is more going to wound and not incapcitate. Just not enough penetration.

2. Buckshot is limited to 3 pellets or so right? I still question that might not be enough to do the trick. Velocity may not be sufficient enough to get the penetration you want.

If you went with it I would alternate .45LC and BS.

Just something to think about. If you want a big revolver why not get a .357 mag or even a .44 mag?

Now I would have no questions about the OSS. All signs point to that being a pretty good handgun.
    Why Ike, whatever do you mean? Maybe poker's just not your game Ike. I know! Let's have a spelling contest!

Lightbulb 3 loads, Doc

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Holliday View Post
    Ex,
    I have a couple of questions about the .410 revolver. What would you plan loading in it?

1. If you load it with birdshot it is more going to wound and not incapcitate. Just not enough penetration.

2. Buckshot is limited to 3 pellets or so right? I still question that might not be enough to do the trick. Velocity may not be sufficient enough to get the penetration you want.

If you went with it I would alternate .45LC and BS.

Just something to think about. If you want a big revolver why not get a .357 mag or even a .44 mag?

Now I would have no questions about the OSS. All signs point to that being a pretty good handgun.
    Hey doc, did you watch the video on the Taurus website on this revolver they call "The Judge?" THAT was impressive. I like the idea that the charge will spread almost instantly due to the rifled barrel. I would load it with thee different rounds: 410 Buckshot, 410 SLUG and 45LC (JHP). It's a truck gun.

Eventually I intend to get one of these as soon as we get closer to a permanent move for retirement: http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/w...02&isFirearm=Y
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Distinguished Member Array Doc Holliday's Avatar
    Just watched it and yes that was very impressive! I do agree that you would be hard pressed to find a better truck gun for the money.

I still want to see gelatin results with buckshot though before I am totally sold on using them for self defense.
    Why Ike, whatever do you mean? Maybe poker's just not your game Ike. I know! Let's have a spelling contest!

Links