Anyone had to draw/fire on an animal?

This is a discussion on Anyone had to draw/fire on an animal? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; A few days ago I had the Wife and Pooch (4 month old mixed puppy) out at the park near my residence here in Las ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone had to draw/fire on an animal?

Anyone had to draw/fire on an animal?

A few days ago I had the Wife and Pooch (4 month old mixed puppy) out at the park near my residence here in Las Vegas, NV. When we arrived it was almost sunset, there were other people in the area, but none with any pets or dogs. We were playing and having a good time, enjoying the rest of the daylight we had. Suddenly, a few teenagers had come over a small hill and lost control of 3 much larger dogs than my pup! I think they keyed on my dog and wanted to play. My wife was knelt down petting her and didn't see them coming. At this time the dogs were hard-charging in our direction! I yelled "Amanda look out!" I wasn't sure how these 3 stranger dogs were going to treat my pup, and more importantly, my LADY! When we all met up I started breaking retention on my XD9 and was ready for any bloodshed. They showed that they weren't threatened and just wanted to share company. The owners came running up from behind them, scolding them for running off.

Even though all was well and nothing happened, they could've attacked. My pup would've been dinner, and my wife was far enough out of my reach that I couldn't get myself in front of her. I didn't expect that to happen and it scared me. The wife carries pepper spray for now when she walks the dog. I can't say I thought about having to defend from an attacking dog or dogs since I started carrying. Have any of you had to drop an attacking animal? God bless you folks...
    "Like a muddied spring or polluted well is a righteous man who gives way to the wicked." -Proverbs 25:26

"If the thief is found breaking in, and he is struck so that he dies, there shall be no guilt for his bloodshed..." -Exodus 22:2

2. Remove Ads

Lead Moderator
    Never have had to draw on a dog, yelling and such seems to deter or atleast slow a running dogs approach.
    I would suggest finding pepper spray specifically for dog/animals. My understanding , pepper spray for humans does not work as effectively for animals.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

yes a few years ago i was coon hunting and came across a rabid dog that got into it with my dog .... so i had to both of them down since i was in bfe
    proud to be an infidel

OH NO! That must have been terrible dhelmuth. I'm always packin a side arm when we go bird or small game hunting. Dang mountain lions are enough to scare ya.
    "Like a muddied spring or polluted well is a righteous man who gives way to the wicked." -Proverbs 25:26

"If the thief is found breaking in, and he is struck so that he dies, there shall be no guilt for his bloodshed..." -Exodus 22:2

None ever attacked me but I've shot a number of feral dogs, cats, and coyotes.

VIP Member
    In short....YES. Usually with a long gun, but also when only armed with a handgun. Different animals including fox, dogs, opossum, raccoon, coyote & skunk.
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar
    Had to draw and fire on a javelina. I was shooting alone out at some pits and it charged me from the side. Put a few rounds into the rock in front of it and it turned-tail and ran.

My neighbor was ambushed by a pair of mountain lions and used his XD to take one down.
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

I have also thought about this, back a few years ago, when I lived with my parents, that was within the city limits, a neighbor said that a small coyote came and charged her small dogs, but then took off without attacking. So my dad put my 1022 next to the door for awhile with the clip next to it. I was wondering, since its illegal to shoot within city limits, would we get in trouble. Being from a small town, if the cops came they probably wouldn't do anything. would protecting your property trump that no shooting in town law?

My daughter did to defend against a red pit bull that was killing her farm animal's, N I have several times over the years, people and their habit of letting their dogs run wild in the country. I often wonder why they bother to get pets in the first place, if they are not going to take care of them.
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

Having been raised in the hills, we always had loaded guns in case we saw an animal that wasn't acting normal, (possibly rabid ) and we had to put it down. I am always armed on my farm for the same reason. I shoot all rats I see. So far I have been lucky and haven't had to shoot any racoons, possums, coyotes, puma, bears because they were sick. I prefer to not shoot any animal except for food or if they are sick.

VIP Member
    When I was a kid out shooting rabbits I had to roll up and put iron sights on a cougar that had been shadowing me for about a quarter mile, he was just getting to close and I think he had plans on dinner...ran a couple rounds off ...and off he went ...man I just thought (and still do) that those big cats are SO pretty..

"Anyone had to draw/fire on an animal? "

Embarassing to answer, but, "Yes." You see, there was this woodchuck. He found a safe haven under my front deck. The area was fenced in, but he managed to prepare a passageway under it. The little sucker had worn a path off the back hill, beneath the fence, and on under that deck. Drove the dogs crazy and out witted them every chance he got, which was about daily.

Well, I staked out the fence. Ultra CDP II was gun of choice from the arsenal. No shotgun to be had. This after weeks of trying to live-trap him, which was my preference. Guess he didn't like what I was serving up for grub. I had figured out his evening routine and waited, and waited, and waited for fifty minutes. Gun drawn. Sights fixed on the crawl space under the fence. Rest, acquire, rest... Well it was getting tedious when all of a sudden this grey-brown tuft appeared under the fence.

I was startled! So was Chucky! As I recovered my senses and squeezed off round #1, POI was right where he was. Or had been, 'cuz he's making a mad dash at me for the entrance under the porch. I led his lightning blitz, and round #2 finds its way home. That is, into my home. The porch pillar now has a .45 entrance wound which doubles for boring bee damage. Chucky's under the porch now either taking Prozac or nitro or both as he reviews his life flashing before his eyes.

Several weeks later while unexpectedly munching in the rough of the front yard, he did die instantly of acute lead poisoning secondarily to a .22-sized opening in his left upper thorax. But that involved a rifle. Doesn't count as a draw, just a fire.

I need to get a life....
    "Our Constitution was made only for a religious and moral people. It is wholly inadequate for the government of any other." --- John Adams
    (1735-1826) Founding Father, 2nd US President
    Source: Oct. 11, 1798; Address to the military

Senior Moderator
    Yeah.
    Had to shoot a pit bull while executing a felony warrant on a known drug dealer.He was not there but his dog was. Dog died right at my feet and splattered blood on my boots and pants legs.
    That was close enough for me...
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Chaddae52 View Post
    A few days ago I had the Wife and Pooch (4 month old mixed puppy) out at the park near my residence here in Las Vegas, NV. When we arrived it was almost sunset, there were other people in the area, but none with any pets or dogs. We were playing and having a good time, enjoying the rest of the daylight we had. Suddenly, a few teenagers had come over a small hill and lost control of 3 much larger dogs than my pup! I think they keyed on my dog and wanted to play. My wife was knelt down petting her and didn't see them coming. At this time the dogs were hard-charging in our direction! I yelled "Amanda look out!" I wasn't sure how these 3 stranger dogs were going to treat my pup, and more importantly, my LADY! When we all met up I started breaking retention on my XD9 and was ready for any bloodshed. They showed that they weren't threatened and just wanted to share company. The owners came running up from behind them, scolding them for running off.

Even though all was well and nothing happened, they could've attacked. My pup would've been dinner, and my wife was far enough out of my reach that I couldn't get myself in front of her. I didn't expect that to happen and it scared me. The wife carries pepper spray for now when she walks the dog. I can't say I thought about having to defend from an attacking dog or dogs since I started carrying. Have any of you had to drop an attacking animal? God bless you folks...

Very similar, back in '91 my wife was eight months pregnant, and had our puppy out in the front yard. A chow came in the yard, and tried to attack my dog. All I heard was yelling, and when I looked out, my wife was climbing on the hood of my truck, with the pup, to get away from the chow. I grabbed a 6" 686, and went outside. The hardest part was trying to get between the chow, and get a safe shot that did not cover my wife, or bounce off of the concrete driveway.

While I was trying to get a shot off, the owner of the chow pulled up in his truck. The dog had gotten out of his fenced yard by pushing a fence board loose. The dog's owner started to confront me about why I had a .357 leveled on his dog, and I had to remind him how foolish it was to make threats to a person who was armed. In a moment, I went from being very unhappy that I might shoot a dog(owners fault 100%), to wondering if I had to take a person's life if they attacked me when I was armed.

In the end, he put the dog in his truck, and I never saw either one again. To this day, it bothers me how easily an every day event can turn ugly. It's also surprising how irrational people can be. Back then I was 26, 6'3", 200#s, and had a lot of S&W in my hand, yet an unarmed person would confront, and threaten me.

Well, not a draw and fire, but...I think it goes to the heart of your question.
    Several years ago (before I started carrying) my wife asked me to pick something up from my mother-in-law. She lived in the back of a dark trailer park and it was around 10:00 p.m.
    As I approached the door I heard something moving in the gravel behind me. I turned to see a full-grown growling and snarling rottweiler coming around the corner of the trailer, around 20 feet from me. In those days I weighed around 160 and I'd bet that dog was at least 120. It was taking slow, deliberate steps just coming straight toward me. I pulled and flicked open my Spyderco knife with my right hand and began knocking on the door with my left hand. I was trying not to make a lot of noise, but it was to the point I was getting in or I was fighting this large, apparently vicious dog with a pocket knife! I finally tried the doorknob with my left hand, while trying to maintain a defensive posture on the front steps. Lucky for me mother-in-law had left the door unlocked. Had I been packing a gun I would probably have drawn and taken aim. I don't think the dog was rabid, just not very friendly to strangers in the middle of the night. In any case I would obviously have felt better confronting this beast with a .45 instead of a pocket knife. Of course I was wary leaving a short time later. However, I never saw that dog again.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links