9mm 147 Gr JHP supposedly Unsat?

This is a discussion on 9mm 147 Gr JHP supposedly Unsat? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have seen some photos of Gold Dot 147s taken out of people our officers shot. The people didn't shoot back and the bullets looked ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 9mm 147 Gr JHP supposedly Unsat?

I have seen some photos of Gold Dot 147s taken out of people our officers shot. The people didn't shoot back and the bullets looked just like the expanded ones in the Gold Dot ads. Note: all bullets were properly placed to start with, so none of that matters.
    ;)
    What Would Gumby Do?

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Stetson's Avatar
    I'll stick with 147gr remington gold sabers that I use right now.I'll try
    something different when it's time to cycle out my ammo but I am
    sticking with 147 grain as I like heavy and slow.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    The 147 of today is not your dad's 147 , Its a whole nother critter from the 147 of the 80s and 90s which were basicly a slow ball ... ie a 9mm at near .45 acp speed . They did not work out well for a lot of reasons , and both in the gun culture , and on the internet both good and bad info seems to live foreaver without update . I went from 115s to 124s myself , but i would not worry if all i could get was 147s , i just would run a mag or two thro to establish feed , and point of aim/point of impact out to 50 yards or so .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Holliday View Post
    My info maybe screwed but I think the FBI had some difficulties with the early 147 gr loadings. Maybe someone else can clear this up but weren't they trying to shoot the subsonic loads that are better suited for SMG's and getting marginal results out of them? I thought I remembered reading about that sometime ago. I don't personally carry 147gr. in my 9mm. I carry 124 gr. +p.
    Doc's right,...... there were definatly early problems with the 147's. The 9mm or parabellum was designed for SMG's way back when. The 147's were designed for SEAL team use in suppressed SMG's for use against sentries and dog's. They were designed to be subsonic, hence quiet from a silenced weapon as well as accurate. Having said that, the 147 grain 9mm's have come a long way in just the last 5 years in as far as their lethality. However, it is my humble opinion that one is better served with either the 115 or 124 grain rounds in Plus P or Plus P plus configuration.

Quote Originally Posted by retiredswine View Post
    Doc's right,...... there were definatly early problems with the 147's. The 9mm or parabellum was designed for SMG's way back when. The 147's were designed for SEAL team use in suppressed SMG's for use against sentries and dog's. They were designed to be subsonic, hence quiet from a silenced weapon as well as accurate. Having said that, the 147 grain 9mm's have come a long way in just the last 5 years in as far as their lethality. However, it is my humble opinion that one is better served with either the 115 or 124 grain rounds in Plus P or Plus P plus configuration.
    Yep! The 147 gr HP was developed to get velocities down to subsonic levels. The HP bullets were designed for accuracy, not expansion.
    Bullet design is a "work in progress" and as such terminal performance is improving all the time. However, my concern with a 147 is overpenetration. If it is absolutely unavoidable, I can live with the idea of taking a life to preserve my own, but I do not believe that I could cope with killing an innocent bystander...
    FWIW, RA9TA 127gr +P+ offers great performance with minimal overpenetration risk.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Brommeland View Post
    However, my concern with a 147 is overpenetration. If it is absolutely unavoidable, I can live with the idea of taking a life to preserve my own, but I do not believe that I could cope with killing an innocent bystander...
    FWIW, RA9TA 127gr +P+ offers great performance with minimal overpenetration risk.
    Gary,

I thought this too, until I read a study done where the smaller rounds penetrated deeper than the 147's(when penetrating 4 layers of denim). This apparantly due to the shallower expansion cavities in the 124's would fill in with material and not expand. The 147's had more consistent expansion and penetration when comparing bare gelatin to gelatin covered with 4 layers of denim.

http://www.firearmstactical.com/briefs9.htm
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

The wound profile of the 147's is generally deeper and more narrow than the lighter weight bullets. I guess if you need to shoot really big people then heavy weights are teh definitive choice!

Shoot people in the heart, brain or spine and X grain Y cal pistol ammo works fine.

Fail to do that, it doesn't.

You want more stopping power? It's called "marksmanship under stress".

You want something that works every time? Tough, because nothing is for sure. People have survived being hit with multiple centerfire rifle rounds in the 30 cal range, killed the people who shot them and lived to tell about it.

We call those people "Heros" and "Medal of Honor recipients"...as well as human cockroaches, junkies and other unpleasant things.

Destroy the central nervous system and cause massive blood loss.

Doesn't matter if it's with 115 grain DPX or 147 grain Mark 1, Mod 0, 1st generation circa 1981 Ho-Lo Point ammo - it's going to do the job if you do.

Of course, you can always try to rely on magic ammo instead of marksmanship, but if that's the case, contact the local Tremere Chantry and ask the Regent to perform the ritual to curse your bullets and doom your opponent as you deem fit.

(Bonus for whoever knows which game I'm refering to...)

I wouldn't want to get shot by one.... that in itself is a good self defense round to me.

JD
    Administrator
    This thread is four years old and the OP has not been back since....

Sent via Tapatalk...and still using real words.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links