Mossberg Bolt Action Rifles

This is a discussion on Mossberg Bolt Action Rifles within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; My wife sent me and my son to grocery shop at the local Super Wally World yesterday. While I was there I went to check ...

Thread: Mossberg Bolt Action Rifles

Distinguished Member Array Doc Holliday's Avatar

My wife sent me and my son to grocery shop at the local Super Wally World yesterday. While I was there I went to check out the firearm selection. I know the clerk back there from buying ammo from him. For a Walmart sporting goods clerk, he knows firearms pretty well which is refreshing. He was adament that I fondle a Mossberg bolt action in .30-06. I told him that I didn't even know that Mossberg made rifles. He told me to work the bolt and when I did I was pleasantly surprised. It had a very smooth action that you would expect in a much more expensive rifle. This one was around $250.00. It was black synthetic with a matte style finish. I'm curious does anyone have one of these? I think it may have been a Model 100 ATR. How do they shoot? Are they good for the money?
    Why Ike, whatever do you mean? Maybe poker's just not your game Ike. I know! Let's have a spelling contest!

Senior Member Array Shadowsbane's Avatar
    From what I have heard they are a pretty basic gun, but always go bang and most hold very decent groupings at 100 yards.

I know one person who had one, and he swore it was the greatest thing since sliced bread. (He was a bit of a Mossberg fanboy though)

Only con he mentioned were that the iron sights were "crap" but with a scope it was good to go.
    Now, we must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men.

www.Lonelymountainleather.com

Distinguished Member Array Stetson's Avatar
    Mossberg makes a simple well built rifle that last forever.I have an old model 36 22 that was built in the 30's that still as accurate as if it was
    bought yesterday.

Senior Moderator
    Doc the reviews I have read state that they are a good hunting rifle. Capable of withstanding abuse and being accurate enough for hunting purposes but not really sub MOA rifles.

A friend I hunt with has one and he seems to be satisfied with it.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Distinguished Member Array Doc Holliday's Avatar
    My wife has given me a green light to buy one if I want it. I need a bolt action rifle but I don't have ton of money to spend on one. I could get one and a scope and be out the door for less than $300. Most of the online reviews have been positive that I have read as well. I did read a couple of negative ones too.

If I do buy one I will have to do a review, Steven Camp style!
    Why Ike, whatever do you mean? Maybe poker's just not your game Ike. I know! Let's have a spelling contest!

Links