no one's ever told the child not to touch a firearm

This is a discussion on no one's ever told the child not to touch a firearm within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; http://www.nbc-2.com/Articles/readar...d=13354&z=3&p= Preventing gun deaths easy & cheap Last updated on: 7/6/2007 4:04:59 PM by NBC2 News FORT MYERS: Gun safety is not as well known ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: no one's ever told the child not to touch a firearm

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar

no one's ever told the child not to touch a firearm

http://www.nbc-2.com/Articles/readar...d=13354&z=3&p=

Preventing gun deaths easy & cheap

Last updated on: 7/6/2007 4:04:59 PM by NBC2 News

FORT MYERS: Gun safety is not as well known as people may think. Teens and young children are often victims of the misuse of weapons.

Thursday, a Fort Myers teen was accidentally shot and killed by a friend.

Lee County sheriff's sergeant Larry King says in order to reduce the amount of violence involving children and weapons, people must be trained and educated.

He says gun owners will have to do more than unload their weapons to keep kids safe.

"Kids are very wise. They're very smart. Often times knowing about separating the weapon from the ammunition is not going to be enough," King said.

Guns R Us, Inc. sales associate John Mearle says guns need locks - and many gun manufacturers are making their weapons with them already built in.

"See how that operates? It's built right into the gun," Mearle said. "Once the lock is locked on it, the weapon will not fire."

But locking a gun doesn't guarantee protection. Mearle suggests storing a gun in a safe.

"The weapon should be locked or the weapon should be locked away. That's the preventive medicine," he said.

For non-gun owners, making sure your children know what to do if they see a gun at a friend's house is crucial.

Mearle says it's important to teach children to stay away from guns and to call a parent if they come in contact with one.

"We've spent all this time teaching children never to talk to strangers. Turn kids into stone. But yet no one's ever told the child not to touch a firearm whether it be loaded or unloaded," Mearle said.

Parents can be smart about firearms, too.

"I wouldn't send my child to a friend's house if I knew their father was reckless with firearms. You might as well send them to a pervert's house," Mearle said.

Gun locks come free with the purchase of a weapon at most gun shops. They are also available through the police department or the National Rifle Association.

Gun safes range in price from $5 to well over $1,000.

By Maggie Zuckerman
    Last edited by P95Carry; July 9th, 2007 at 11:26 AM. Reason: Removal of superfluous content.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

2. Remove Ads

Needs a little edit, lots of content that isn't relevant to the article.

No mention of the NRA's Eddie Eagle program, which has been running for years. No mention of how in the heck did we survive as a nation without gun control all these years keeping our grandparents safe - they must have been shot all the time going hunting.
    The person who should be teaching the children are the parents, not the mass media, and certainly not the Brady Bunch or the 9,138 Mom March.
    Kids are wise? Have them visit a minors wing in prison sometime. Street smarts do NOT equal wisdom in any way.
    Gun locks are dangerous, deliberately disabling an emergency device right when it may be needed. I give mine away.
    A safe is great, if you can afford one, but that's theft protection. I gun proof my child, just like Mas says, and it works. He touches nothing without permission, and waits anxiously for Daddy to buy him that Chipmunk 22 rifle.

If total government control equals safety, why are prisons so dangerous?

Why do they make the comparison of gun owners to sex offenders?? This is starting to really P1$$ me off!!

Second--if kids are soo bright, 1--why do they think trigger locks will stop them, 2--why do they keep shooting their friends?

John Mearle is a moron

Lew
    you can never child proof your home, but you can always, Gun proof you child. I have no problems with my son. He has been asked a minimum of once a week, what he is supposed to do if he finds a gun, is grabbed by a stranger, gets lost, is offered ANYTHING from a stranger. The basic DUH, DAD! I Know it already. Yep I know son, just humor me and tell me again....
    There are 2 types of people, victims and the prepared. I choose to be prepared....

"Bless thee, O Lord, This handgrenade, that it may blow thine enemies to bits. Amen" ~Monty Python's Holy Grail

My Blazer Website

My new, Unofficial Cam and Company Fan site.

This is one of the reasons why I installed the Springfield Armory 'ILS' (integral locking system) system on my pistols.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m...26/ai_80616545

It's highly functional and for a child without the key going to be tough albeit of course not impossible to defeat.
    The great thing about it is that the slide and hammer are both locked up via the ILS making it impossible to operate either even if otherwise loaded (condition 2).

I agree with the statement though that locks are not enough as they should be stored in a cabinet/safe/lockable container if and when children have access to the home.

I'm planning to have the gun talk with my oldest, 4yrs. old, very soon...

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

"Gun safes range from $5 to well over $1000." Uhhh, question? Where the heck can you buy a $5 gun safe, I'll take 10 please.

I saw a investigative report one time where they took 30 kids....half had the Eddie Eagle training and the other half had none.
    They put each child in a room, alone. The room was full of toys and books and ONE unloaded gun. The age of the kids was 7 and 8 years old.

The half that had no training or exposure to weapons...each one....picked the gun up and played with it. Pulling the trigger....looking down the barrel....all the things that give parents nightmares. All 15 did it.

The half that had Eddie Eagle training....every one....saw the gun...didn't touch it....left the room....told a adult. All 15 did it.

I grew up in a home of gun culture, long before Eddie Eagle. My father and mother taught me. Don't touch the guns. That was renforced with
    range time with them. I never touched on without my parents permission and supervision. I knew where they were.....in a drawer with socks or in my father's gun case, but I had been taught and shown how serious weapons are.

You can't tell me that teaching kids isn't the way to go.
    A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by armoredman View Post
    Even though it's an illusion, that photo still seems WRONG! The gun is pointed at the kids forehead! (I know the gun is in the background) They could have chosen a better pose or camera angle.

Distinguished Member Array mr.stuart's Avatar

Interesting,

My dad was born in 1913.Myself and my 3 brothers grew up watching dad carry guns all the time.Dad was no cop,he just carried guns.He could leave a pistol anywhere in plain sight and neither my brothers or our friends would even dare look at it.We were not scared of the gun,we were scared of HIM.Dad said do not touch,so nobody touched.Adults used to demand respect from children,no questions asked.What happened?

Lew
    Parents somewhere became lazy and complacent.
    There are 2 types of people, victims and the prepared. I choose to be prepared....

"Bless thee, O Lord, This handgrenade, that it may blow thine enemies to bits. Amen" ~Monty Python's Holy Grail

My Blazer Website

My new, Unofficial Cam and Company Fan site.

Quote Originally Posted by Rustynuts View Post
    Even though it's an illusion, that photo still seems WRONG! The gun is pointed at the kids forehead! (I know the gun is in the background) They could have chosen a better pose or camera angle.
    The dad's arm is over the table...the gun is over the table. The kid is standing off to the side. The gun is NOT pointed at the kid's forehead.

No kids yet, but I'm sure gonna school'em up to know what to do, and what not to do with guns. We have to rid them of their curiosity for them by taking them shooting and showing them what they're about. Kids want what they cant have or touch. I respect parents who refuse to posses firearms in their homes because of safety. But, just the opposite when they believe that their kids are just going to leave the room when they discover one at a friends house! God bless...
    "Like a muddied spring or polluted well is a righteous man who gives way to the wicked." -Proverbs 25:26

"If the thief is found breaking in, and he is struck so that he dies, there shall be no guilt for his bloodshed..." -Exodus 22:2

I just got chewed out last week about eddie the eagle, i made my g/f's kid watch it, and when he went to his dads house he was telling some little girl about it, and the whole "stop, don' touch....." thing. So not only did he remember it, he was spreading the word.

But i still got chewed out by her ex.....well he tried to chew me out.
    كافر(Infidel)
    He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.
    Friedrich Nietzsche, Beyond Good and Evil, Aphorism 146
    German philosopher (1844 - 1900)

VIP Member
    My daughter is 18 now but been around guns most of her life. I had my 642 tucked in the cushion of the couch ( in a holster ). I had layed down, so it was at my feet. She came in and sat down and said " Oh I just almost sat on your gun, it won't hurt it will it"?? She was more concerned about hurting the gun than it going off. Education is the common sense answer. Take your kids shooting.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links