How low can Great Britian sink?

This is a discussion on How low can Great Britian sink? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; This is very disturbing. You apparently no longer have the right to protect your property or your life in GB anymore. What are those people ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How low can Great Britian sink?

This is very disturbing. You apparently no longer have the right to protect your property or your life in GB anymore. What are those people thinking about?

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle2008072.ece

From The TimesJune 30, 2007

Shopkeeper fined £250 for hitting back against thieves
    Simon de Bruxelles
    A shopkeeper has been fined £250 and given a criminal record because he fought back when he was attacked by shoplifters.

Jacob Smyth chased three youths out of his hardware shop in Penzance, Cornwall, when he was set upon. When he was kicked in the groin by one of the hooded youths who had stolen cans of spray paint Mr Smyth hit back.

Police issued fixed penalty tickets to the shoplifters but charged Mr Smyth and a colleague with assault.

Yesterday he pleaded guilty to assault at Truro Magistrates’ Court. He claimed after the hearing that he had been advised to plead guilty because otherwise he could have faced a six month prison sentence.

The court was told that Mr Smyth, a father of three, caught the youths stealing the spray cans in October last year. Two of them turned on him and he was kicked in his groin just weeks after a vasectomy operation. He retaliated and punched 18-year-old Craig Spiller to the ground.

Paul Gallagher, defending, said: “The court can only imagine what they intended to do with that spray paint. He could see the cans poking out of their pockets. He leant forward to get them and at that stage he was set upon.

“He did punch one of them to get him off. In the heat of the moment he kicked him once or twice. Initially he was acting in self defence. Frustration at the situation took over. The lads were interviewed and given fixed penalty notices by police but unfortunately for Mr Smyth ended up in court today.

“He was the one who was trying to do the right thing and get his stolen property back.”

Julian Herbert, prosecuting, said the “aggravating factor” of the case was shop staff “taking the law into their own hands”. Fining Mr Smyth £250 and ordering him to pay £43 costs, Angy Haslam, chairman of the magistrates, said: “The act was aggravated by the fact you kicked the victim on the ground. We feel it has been mitigated because you acted in self defence.”

Speaking outside court, Mr Smyth said: “I did nothing wrong. I was getting a good beating from this lad. I had no choice but to defend myself.

“We get shoplifters all the time – one after the other. We call the police but nothing is ever done. We called them on this occasion and ran after the lads to try and get my property back but then they turned on us. “Am I not allowed to protect my stock and premises from thieves?”

Mr Smyth’s colleague Jason Pascoe, 34, has also been charged with two counts of common assault and will appear in court at a later date.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

Sadly our great country is taking water in as well.

"First rule of a gun fight is to have a gun"

I have zero sympathy for him and them as he and they voted for that crap ass state of affairs that they have and now they get to reap what they sowed.

Just yesterday I was reading the following article toward how some maybe even many, but not all, Brits view the US and themselves...

U.K. Response to School Massacre: Ban Handguns
    Britain Rewrote its Gun Laws After 1996 Massacre in Dunblane, Scotland
    By DAVID WRIGHT
    DUNBLANE, Scotland, U.K., April 22, 2007

"...On March 13, 1996, this tiny town of 10,000 people faced the news that every community dreads -- a rampage at an elementary school.

A misfit named Thomas Hamilton entered the school gym at Dunblane Primary School shortly after 9:30 a.m. armed with four handguns. In three minutes time, he fired 105 bullets, killing 16 schoolchildren and a teacher before taking his own life.

Had he arrived as planned during the morning assembly, the death toll would have been much higher. Luckily, Hamilton was delayed in heavy traffic on icy roads.

Keep in mind: This was three years before the notorious U.S. school shootings at Columbine High School in Littleton, Colo.

Hamilton was a former scout master and an avid marksman from the local gun club. None of his fellow gun enthusiasts had noticed anything amiss.

All of Britain was shocked at what he had done. Within days, some 750,000 people signed a petition to outlaw handguns in Britain. Tony Blair's Labour Party took it on as a campaign promise, and the issue helped bring Labour to power in the general election that followed a year later.

Britain had already banned assault weapons after a previous school shooting at a town called Hungerford. As a direct result of Dunblane, this country banned all handguns over .22 caliber.

"We just said after Dunblane that never again was someone going to walk into a school and massacre children," said Ann Pearson, one of the founders of the Snowdrop Campaign, a movement of parents that lobbied the British government to impose the handgun ban...

...Has the handgun ban worked? Well in Scotland, the incidence of gun crime is down upwards of 30 percent. But in the United Kingdom overall, gun crime is up by more than 70 percent this year above what it was in 1996.

Of course, the laws are much stricter now, so it makes sense that the crime rate would rise. But one measure is tough to argue with: Britain has never again faced another school shooting after Dunblane.

The people of Dunblane are baffled that the United States has not moved to restrict gun use.

"What ordinary people have got to do in the United States if they really care about what happened at Virginia Tech is to make the banning of firearms in the United States an election issue," said Pearson...

...The people of Dunblane can only watch in horror and sympathy, hoping America will finally learn a painful lesson."

Source - http://abcnews.go.com/WNT/Internatio...3066193&page=1

The Brits as based on results seem to be completely unable to get a clue.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

True that on the whole, the Brits are off their rockers. I don't know about this one, so I'll tentatively feel some sympathy and rage about this nonsense, pending confirmation that he votes for the very kind of magistrates and lawmakers that allow it.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Assistant Administrator
    It seems to get worse and worse - more and more the criminal's paradise.

Add to this episode the Cop's saying a ways back that they were no longer gonna spend time on petty crimes - well ......... it's just crazy.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Maybe I should just quit my job and move to England where I will be within my rights to steal everything I need or want from now on, instead of having to pay for stuff.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

It is a mercy that most of those who survived the worst Hitler could throw at them and still kept fighting have all passed away.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

There are still plenty of WWII survivors, my dad's best friend is an ex-bomber pilot. They meet up every Monday and go to the pub for lunch, moan about how the young folk have ruined everything then go home for a nap.
    Of course, they don't think it started with recent events, the decline of the British Empire and Great Britain was firmly established in the 1950s.
    It's very enlightening listening to old folk from any country, I've met survivors of the Nazi holocaust now living in Israel, refugees from Burma in Thailand and a few who were nearly killed by Pol Pot in Cambodia.

The world moves on, we'll all be old one day looking at the mess we couldn't prevent happening...

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    There are still plenty of WWII survivors, my

The world moves on, we'll all be old one day looking at the mess we couldn't prevent happening...
    The same political correctness that is ruining Europe is alive and well in the USA. We must be vigilant.

VIP Member
    .........The world moves on, we'll all be old one day looking at the mess we couldn't prevent happening...
    Yep, & we'll be kicking ourselves all the way to the grave for NOT doing something about it..............
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

Quote Originally Posted by wmhawth View Post
    The same political correctness that is ruining Europe is alive and well in the USA. We must be vigilant.
    Yep, that was my point...

'Over there' they thought they were being vigilant and look what happened, idiots breed faster and more prolifically than intelligent people. It will happen here, we just need to stop it as well as we can for as long as we can, but once we are all buried and our kids are getting old, common sense will be marginalized and the lunatics will own the asylum.

'Over there' they thought they were being vigilant and look what happened, idiots breed faster and more prolifically than intelligent people. It will happen here, we just need to stop it as well as we can for as long as we can, but once we are all buried and our kids are getting old, common sense will be marginalized and the lunatics will own the asylum.
    That's a depressing thought. I'd like you to be wrong. My fear is you are not.

Sad but true

The Brits who voted this law in will have to live with it until they get enough guts to vote it out All the complaining in the world will do nothing until decide to make the change.

The price of liberty is eternal Vigilance if the Brits are to survive they must look inside their collective soul and find that thing that carried the day for them during the two big wars. They must leave the nanny state behind ,as in the coming days that same nanny state will not be able to protect them from harm.Citizenship in a free country is hell you must truly want it , and fight the forces of darkness daily.
    It is not wrong to be Right
    An apeaser is a man who hopes that the crocidle eats him last

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links