Euro Laws??

This is a discussion on Euro Laws?? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I know that Britain has some very restricted firearm and self defense laws, but what is the rest of Europe like? Just curious......

Thread: Euro Laws??

Euro Laws??

I know that Britain has some very restricted firearm and self defense laws, but what is the rest of Europe like? Just curious...
    Tony

2. Remove Ads

I know that in both France and Switzerland it is entirely possible to own a variety of firearms including handguns. My impression is that there's more paperwork required than in the U.S. (the French just LOVE their paperwork!), but that it is not all that hard to get through it.

Without researching it I couldn't give you an enlightened discussion on gun laws in European countries but I believe most of them are very much as Britain is.

Dutch gun law is typical of the Western European approach. Firearm possession is not subject to any constitutional protections, but regulated simply in the Arms and Ammunition Act (Wet Wapens en Munitie). Weapons, including firearms, are divided into four categories, and for each of the categories a certain maximum punishment is set for "voorhanden hebben" (possession), and "dragen" (carrying in public).
    Only citizens who are members of hunting and shooting sports clubs may obtain licences for weapons. And even then they may only get a licence for category III weapons (sports weapons).
    Firearm possession and use by the military and the police is not subject to Arms and Ammunition Act, but regulated separately.
    Sale is only for those age 17 or over.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_law

I've been to a lot of the European Union, lived in a few of the countries too.
    Here's my explanation of the mindset there, you won't necessarily like it.

After two World Wars on European soil the people there had seen so much death, carnage and blood that they vowed to do anything to stop the same happening again.
    That is why there aren't death penalties in Europe, that is why they don't have a gun culture.
    The rest followed.

I don't think that the above is the right way, but I heard it so many times that I know it is the way.

Some countries also have laws that do not govern physical characteristics and some do, In the UK if approved, you can own a AKM or AR pattern rifle, but only if they are manually operated, like a straight pull system. In France for example, if approved, you may own a Krinkov style AKM, short barrel length is not a problem...

Some Western European nations allow CCW, but its highly restricted to Elites.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    In dealing with online folks from a variety of boards , and having seen some " continental " posters , IMHO the best of the " euro" country's approach the worst of the usa states . Even the Swiss are fighting off a legislative push to end home storage of their militia firearms . More and more its coming down to Israel , US , and some warlord territory's in the deep dark 3rd world to have any chance of having a personal firearm .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_law

After two World Wars on European soil the people there had seen so much death, carnage and blood that they vowed to do anything to stop the same happening again.
    That is why there aren't death penalties in Europe, that is why they don't have a gun culture.
    The rest followed.

I don't think that the above is the right way, but I heard it so many times that I know it is the way.
    Bingo. Also realize that many of these nations are not "products of the enlightennment." The perception is much more of people being answerable to the government and not the other way around. There are places where firearms ownership is encouraged, Switzerland for example, but even there the idea of daily CCW is not at all common or openly accepted.

I would hope that none of them is as bad as Britain when it comes to defending yourself!!!
    Tony

I have a friend who lives in Finland and they Are allowed Full Auto Galils, M16's and AK's (among others) with the right paperwork.
    For some reason Olympic Arms Lower receivers are commonin Finland. Every Oly Arms lowers I have had was junk. But I guess they take what they can get.

he's a Pilot so its not like you have to be connected to the government in anyway.

Its a lot of BS to get all the paperwork done, but once you do. Finland is a good country to won guns.

A lot of stuff we Americans cant even own. One of his co workers owns a Russian RPD belt fed:

Also, in Finland you can buy suppressors with no paperwork.
    Just hand them your money and your out the door.
    They view it as a good thing shooters want to keep quiet.

I love American and all that, but I cant get over sometimes how lazy and stupid so many Americans are. We let our right just slip out of our hands because we rather watch a strupid football game on Sunday instead of taking our rights back.
    Primary Carry Gun: Sig Sauer 229~R (.40cal w/ Golden Saber JHP's)

Norway has suppressor laws like that, quite common for them to use them as to "not upset the neighbors"...

The laws here are just a tax grab and a tool to bust the gangsters of the era, "hey so guido, you didn't kill that guy with your tommy gun huh, oh BTW do you have your tax stamp for it?... No, well I guess your going to the big house for tax evasion...."

Links