HK Magazine Click

This is a discussion on HK Magazine Click within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Firearm: HK USP .40 Compact Here's a weird one for you guys. All of my magazines do this now. None of them used to, but ...

Thread: HK Magazine Click

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar

HK Magazine Click

Firearm: HK USP .40 Compact

Here's a weird one for you guys. All of my magazines do this now. None of them used to, but it has developed over the past 6 months. I have three of the newer mags with the base extensions and one of the older ones without it. One mag was never disassembled, but started doing it anyhow.

Like the title says, my mags "click." If the mag is topped off at ten rounds, then the rounds themselves will bounce back and forth at the bottom. Lemme repeat that... The last two rounds, the ones just above the spring feed, will slide forward and knock the front of the magazine. It won't do this if there are 9 rounds. Just ten.

Its more of an annoyance than anything because you can only hear the mag doing this in the firearm when I run or jog. However, I carry two extra mags in my pockets and it does NOT sound like change rattling.

Any ideas??? I'm pretty lost.
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    weird. Mine does nothing of the sort. Yours only does it with the mag in the gun?

Nope. Mags do it all the time if they're topped-off. Even inside the firearm.

Forgot to add - ammo type doesn't matter.

This problem baffles the hell out of me. lol
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

Distinguished Member Array USPnTX's Avatar
    How weird - neither my .357 sig or .40 mags do that. Have you tried changing out the springs? It sounds as though for some reason there is a lack of tension on those bottom two rounds. Very weird that all of your mags are doing it though. I have to say I'm looking at two of my mags disassembled and I'm stumped.

I will say the one thing that both of mine are doing now is the plastic retainer ring that is part of the recoil spring/guide assembly has started making noise. If you move the pistol quickly front to back - the plastic ring will slide back and forth over the recoil spring making a clicking sound. Sounds like a toy with something broken inside. Doesn't affect the operation of the pistol at all though.
    "Do not fear those who disagree with you; fear those that do and are too cowardly to admit it" - Napoleon

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by USPnTX View Post
    How weird - neither my .357 sig or .40 mags do that. Have you tried changing out the springs? It sounds as though for some reason there is a lack of tension on those bottom two rounds.
    I was thinking springs too, though it seems that if that were the case, it would start doing it as soon as the rounds start double-stacking (and I'm pretty sure by the time you get down to round #9, they're past that point).

SixBravo, are you certain it's the rounds themselves, not the follower rattling?

Lead Moderator
    All my mags seem to do this. although , not all the time. No idea for a fix, sorry.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Sponsor
    I've got a lot of mags that do that same thing, and others that do not for several pistols.

The CZ75d mags do it. The Glock 26 and 17 mags do it for the most part. The BHP does this with a few mags as well.

I download the mags that are such by one rd., they don't rattle around in the mag tube.

Brownie
    The mind is the limiting factor

Quick Kill Rifle and Pistol Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by Bob The Great View Post
    I was thinking springs too, though it seems that if that were the case, it would start doing it as soon as the rounds start double-stacking (and I'm pretty sure by the time you get down to round #9, they're past that point).

SixBravo, are you certain it's the rounds themselves, not the follower rattling?
    USP and Bob:

Yeah, I'm sure its not the spring. I tried replacing one. Still does it. And yeah, I'm sure its the rounds rattling. If I look at the rear of the mag, I can see the rounds sliding back and forth in the magazine through the holes.

At least I'm not the only one having this problem. It absolutely baffles the hell out of me.
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review

SixB, I seem to remember this as being common, over at HK Pro. I haven't been there since I sold off my last HK, but I would look in there, for a definitive answer. I think I remember something about the follower design- it feeds perfectly, but the slop between rounds, magnified at the bottom of the mag, leaves enough room for "the rattle"...? Something like that.

Links