Coming out of the closet.

This is a discussion on Coming out of the closet. within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; No, not that closet. My name is Aznav, and I'm a, a, a, limp wrist-aholic. Nothing could have prepared me for this. It all started ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Coming out of the closet.

Distinguished Member

Coming out of the closet.

No, not that closet. My name is Aznav, and I'm a, a, a, limp wrist-aholic. Nothing could have prepared me for this. It all started as a boy when I grew up shooting .22 caliber pistols and rifles. Then to shotguns. Now that I am becoming a certified gun nut (decades later), I find that 40 cal subcompacts, as well as 1911's, have me stove piping.
    Recently I bought the firearm of my dreams - a used Springfield Ultra Compact stainless 45. Beautiful. And, I'm limp wristing all over the place. Like every second and third shot. Yes, I'm getting help. Yes, I'm doing somewhat better. However, in the back of my mind, is the not-so-pleasant thought that I'm backed in a corner, draw, and have a FTF. My masculinity has sure taken a hit. I still pump iron regularly but "strength" doesn't seem to matter with limp wristing.
    Ok, my dilemma: I've owned, borrowed, sold a dozen pistols in the last six months. Only the 1911's and subcompacts (40's &357's) give me trouble. I'm a hairs breadth from selling the Ultra (any buyers?) because it's always in mind that I'll jamb in my hour of need. Always. I have a S&W wheel gun (66) that I love. Also my Steyr with equal affection. Is it really necessary for me to master limp wristing or to stick with what I know works? Comments or suggestions, please. Tx! Tom

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    If you have not seen it you might go watch this Todd Jarrett IPSC Pistol Grip Lessonhttp://video.google.com/videoplay?do...32856867071363
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

another thing that might help. Physical exercise of your wrist with small weights... wrist curls.
    " Refuse to be a victim, make sure there is a round chambered ! "

Just call me a pessimistic optimist !

U.S. Navy vet 1981-1992

Quote Originally Posted by artz View Post
    another thing that might help. Physical exercise of your wrist with small weights... wrist curls.
    I'll second that...I tear up my wrists and forearms with wrist rolls...Take an unused dumbell bar and tie a line of paracord or something to the middle. Tie the other end to a small plate...you may have to start with a 10 pounder...no worries.. Now grasp with both hands at the ends of the bar and reel the plate up and back down, literally rolling up the line around the bar...over and over again...Dead yet?
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Senior Moderator
    Do 12 oz curls count
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Quote Originally Posted by packinnova View Post
    I'll second that...I tear up my wrists and forearms with wrist rolls...Take an unused dumbell bar and tie a line of paracord or something to the middle. Tie the other end to a small plate...you may have to start with a 10 pounder...no worries.. Now grasp with both hands at the ends of the bar and reel the plate up and back down, literally rolling up the line around the bar...over and over again...Dead yet?
    I saw that in an old Glenn Ford movie with Raquel Welsh ... hubba hubba.

As far as the SA. I had the Hi-cap version of the same gun and also had function troubles with it. Switching to 185 +p loads helped as did lowering the recoil spring weight a pound or two. That option might at least solve your function problem while you work on your wrist strength.

Jack

It's best to work through your problem. You have already taken the first step by admitting that you have a problem, and the second step by seeking help here. Congratulations. You are on the road to recovery. Only 10 more steps to go. Just take it one day at a time.

For now, use the methods suggested by the members here as therapy to overcome your disability.

Until you can master your problem, Grasshopper, my suggestion is to stick with a wheel gun for now.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

Distinguished Member
    Much humor here at my manly expense...
    ps. had to give up the 12 oz. curls. Heck, I thought I was the life of the party but my family had other opinions.

When you shoot, are you making sure your shooting arm's elbow is locked?
    When ever I teach a new shooter how to shoot, I make suer the elbow is locked. Thia makes the shooters wrist more stable and stiff.

Once you get a feel for that, you will be able to shoot any way you want.
    Primary Carry Gun: Sig Sauer 229~R (.40cal w/ Golden Saber JHP's)

Hey, I hear you on the 12 oz curls mine turned into 24 oz two handers multiple reps, all ended 4yrs ago.

"First rule of a gun fight is to have a gun"

If you train and do strength exercises, you should be able to overcome the issue. The question I have is, when things go sideways and your heart is pumping and you are NOT concentrating on your firm grip, are you confident the issue won't re-appear?

How about 1911 in 9mm and subcompact in 9mm instead of 40 or 357?

What kind of magazines are you using? Sometimes a mag change will help you out if you get a better magazine like a Tripp, Chip McCormick, or a Wilson.
    N.R.A. Member
    G.O.A. Member
    Unified Sportsmen of Florida Member

try a Five-seveN
    War is not the ugliest of things. Worse is the decayed state of moral feeling which thinks nothing is worth a war. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which he cares for more than his personal safety, is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free. -J.S. Mill

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by phaed View Post
    try a Five-seveN
    A what?

Distinguished Member
    I'm going to try that locking elbow idea. I'm right handed but my left eye is my sight eye. Any chance that could screw things up?
    I'll also give the wrist curls a shot (no pun intended). I really do some serious weight training but strictly use an easy curl bar so maybe not so great for the wrists? Just got home from work so haven't looked at the link/video on limp wristing. Thanks to all for the help and the smart a** remarks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links