How Much?

This is a discussion on How Much? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I've never gone to a gun show. I hear about great deals at these things. In the next few weeks I'm going to be doing ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How Much?

How Much?

I've never gone to a gun show. I hear about great deals at these things.
    In the next few weeks I'm going to be doing a side job for extra money. (a few hundred)
    What do you think I could get into a snubnose .357 for? At one of these.??

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member
    The advice I was given was that, like about everything else, you get good eggs and bad eggs. The bad news is that if your gun's a lemon, they're gone. I also heard that if you go Sunday afternoon, generally, you will get a better deal (if it's still there!) as the dealers don't want to take their merchandise back home. Lastly, take someone with you who knows their stuff so you don't get stuck. That's what I did.

Administrator

Suggestion

If you are new to buying guns then you should go with somebody that really knows what to look for when buying a firearm.
    You will want to be able to know if the revolver is timed correctly - if it is mechanically sound - the condition of the bore - if there is excessive play on the cylinder - if it has been "home gun-smithed" or not. There are a lot things to check for in order to make certain that you're getting a good value for your money.
    Concerning if you'll find a sweet deal for yourself - you'll just have to go and see what's there.
    Sometimes you'll find something and sometimes not.
    You SHOULD go no matter if you ultimately find a handgun or not.
    The more guns that you look at and handle and check out and examine...the better you'll be able to decide what exactly is perfect for you. And you'll learn to tell a good gun from a lemon or a dog.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Gun shows are great, but around here the prices in the last 10 years or so are ridiculous. Every once in a while you can pick up deals on used guns, guns they buy in bulk, or guns from private sales, but the dealers at these shows are dreaming. I think they go by the suggested retail and then mark that up by 10% or so.

IMHO the best way to gauge prices on guns (good or not good prices) is to find out what you want and then look on auction sites and see what they are actually selling for on the "free market". Add $40 or so to that for shipping charges, aggrivation of having to go somewhere to transfer etc., and that will give you a good idea of what the price should be in a face to face transaction.

When buying used - the name of the maker and condition dictate the price, but as a general rule make is more important to pricing. ie. a very used Smith&Wesson will cost closer to new price than a barely used Taurus. I hope that makes sense. Keep that in mind when buying too. Better names will hold resale value moreso than mediocre names if you ever plan on trading it in or selling it.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

Some good advice. I'm not exactly new to firearms. I've been shooting and qwning guns for nearly 20 years. Iv'e just not been buing a lot. Most guns I have had, I've gotton new. The only revolver I have is a S&W 686, with a 6" barrel. I'd like to add to that.

If you have a good idea of what you are looking for go to gunbroker.com and see what the asking prices are. Also pay attention to what prices people are actually bidding as opposed to the ones listed at prices too high to incite bidding.

It's a good indication of what price the market will bear as opposed to what sellers want to get. From years of hanging out on gunbroker, I will say that they have the best prices and also the buyers for the most part on there are pretty savvy as to what they should be paying for stuff.

Other sites are good too. auctionarms.com is another good site, but the actual selling prices are sometimes a bit higher than gunbroker. Between the two you should be able to get a good idea of what to expect to pay for what you want.

Full disclosure: I do not work for gunbroker, but have bought and sold some stuff on there. I have not sold firearms on there, just stuff i need to get rid of like mags or scopes. I am not trying to plug gunbroker, but it is the site I choose to use to guestimate prices when I want to buy a gun
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

Administrator
    I dunno, I'm turned off by gun shows anymore. They used to be a lot better, but they have declined in the last ten years or so. The only show I go to regularly is the OGCA shows. They are a private show for collectors and members only, that keeps a lot of the garbage out.

It really depends on what you are looking for in a .357. Rossi and Taurus can be had cheap, S&W are a little more. Colts... well you need more than a couple of side jobs to pay for that.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I like to go to gun shows...I find them fun...but I don't really ever find many deals at them...

Kinda of strange, I quess that I've never been to one. But just havn't gone. I;ve checked out Gunbroker.com. A few times. That's a good idea. Thanks sgtD.

Administrator
    Hey Argus, what part of Ohio are you in? Maybe I can help you avoid the bad shows and find a good one.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Right in the heart of it all, Columbus

I saw a nice taurus 651, for 300. At a gun store. I'm just not up on my wheel guns anymore.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    If you are new to buying guns then you should go with somebody that really knows what to look for when buying a firearm.
    You will want to be able to know if the revolver is timed correctly - if it is mechanically sound - the condition of the bore - if there is excessive play on the cylinder - if it has been "home gun-smithed" or not. There are a lot things to check for in order to make certain that you're getting a good value for your money.
    Concerning if you'll find a sweet deal for yourself - you'll just have to go and see what's there.
    Sometimes you'll find something and sometimes not.
    You SHOULD go no matter if you ultimately find a handgun or not.
    The more guns that you look at and handle and check out and examine...the better you'll be able to decide what exactly is perfect for you. And you'll learn to tell a good gun from a lemon or a dog.
    Yeah, that's what I was going to say...
    Ok, I lied. I like the other posts about GunBroker and Auction Arms. I found two greats deals off them. Price shopping online is great. Also, the forums have some good deals and I trust them (especially this one) over most other venues.

1943 - 2009
    I can count on the fingers of one hand, and still have fingers leftover, the number of times I've found a really good deal on a gun at a gunshow. The last one was a Colt Combat Elite for 5 C-Notes.

Nowadays, I go looking for other things, like ammo or accessories. A good gun deal is gravy.

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

Gun shows are great places to shop and compare, but it has been my experience that truly "good deals" rare. I have found S&W police surplus revolvers K-Frame .357 mag for $200.00, tight and good working condition, with holster wear. Good luck!

"First rule of a gun fight is to have a gun"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links