Using a Boresnake

This is a discussion on Using a Boresnake within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Is a Boresnake best used on a dry weapon? How do you use? Any difference on a revolver....

Thread: Using a Boresnake

Using a Boresnake

Is a Boresnake best used on a dry weapon? How do you use? Any difference on a revolver.

2. Remove Ads

You can use it with or without solvent. I usually dip the brush part in solvent and the bores dry by the end. Be carefull you dont scratch the finish on the outside of the gun.

Yup. With or without solvent. With or without oil.

At the range during long sessions, I occasionally will send a bore snake through my rifle @ ~75-100 rds or my pistol @ 100-250 rds (depending on the gun), with Militec-1 oil drops placed on the "brush" part, if cleaning, or on the "brush" part and another 2" of the snake, if lubing the barrel. Sent through a final time, dry, it leaves the barrel nice and bright, with a very light oil on the interior. Light Militec-1 grease on the moving parts. At the range, the CZ P01 seems to last forever without a cleaning, whereas the Kahr PM9 requires cleaning much more frequently to avoid finicky behavior. The bore snake can really help, here, keeping various guns working well through long sessions. Works just as well whether the barrel is hot or cold.

At home during the normal cleaning, session, I generally just use the rod and patch method, with Break Free CLP until clean, then either patch or bore snake with Militec-1 oil. Light Militec-1 grease on the moving parts. Every other cleaning or so, a full "bath" in the Break Free may be warranted, so it all gets spotlessly clean.

This works very well, I think. Enough cleaning to keep them spotless, in the bore. Enough cleaning to keep them working slick at the range.

The other day, I saw a full-auto Calico 100rd rifle that had been stress-tested to 10K rds without (I believe) any cleaning at all. The barrel had gotten very bad leading (crappy bullets) and had extremely bad powder deposits. One rod and a half-patch through the barrel grabbed much of the leading. A bore snake with Break Free CLP was sent through a few dozen times, followed by soaking overnight with CLP. (Haven't heard, yet, whether it's gone through a full ammonia-based de-leading cleaning, but I'm assuming so.) Anyway, the bore snake helped quite a bit. Even grabbed some of the smaller lead chunks, most all of the powder residue ... and this prior to overnight soaking to break up 10K rds' worth of failure-to-clean.

Bore snakes: good stuff.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

+1

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy View Post
    You can use it with or without solvent. I usually dip the brush part in solvent and the bores dry by the end. Be carefull you dont scratch the finish on the outside of the gun.
    If you don't have time for the full breakdown and cleaning these work great!
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

Distinguished Member Array Stetson's Avatar
    I use it between trapshoot events.I use it dry and when I put my
    shotgun up I'll put couple drops of oil on it after 325 rounds.

I use mine on my .22 while at the range. I tend to burn up a lot of ammo, so it will start to jam after a few hundred rounds. A couple passes with the boresnake and I'm back in business! I just use it dry, no problems yet.
    - Kurt
    “Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it.” ~Pericles of Athens
    Primary Carry - Colt Commander .45 in a Brommeland Max-Con V

Distinguished Member Array Ghettokracker71's Avatar
    I just bought my first boresnake! Seemed to work great for my range session.

"To blame a gun for a mans decision is to foolishly attribute free will to an inanimate object"- Colion Noir.

I LOVE the boresnake...um, you know what I MEAN!

I've only been shooting for a few years, how long had this wonderful invention been out? Years? Decades?
    It's not about the caliber you carry, it's about how you USE it.

Acts 4:12
    (Mohammad Who?)

1988 DIE HARD 2008
    NRA Member

Snakes can be used either way.. and they sure do save time on the old patch method!
    N.R.A. Member
    G.O.A. Member
    Unified Sportsmen of Florida Member

Lead Moderator
    I find em great for a fast cleaning. However I use brushes and patches for a through job.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

At the end of each range session. Boresnake w/ CLP fore and aft of the bristles. 3 or 4 times. Then another few without the CLP to take out the excess.

Then when home within the next day or 2, I do a full cleaning.

I use mine on my shotgun, cleaning agent on first part, light oil on trailing end. One pass my gun is ready for next time.

Links