Almost got shot today.......ND

This is a discussion on Almost got shot today.......ND within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; For the second time in two week's! I'm not kidding We have a home CCW forum that sometimes the members on there get together and ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Almost got shot today.......ND

For the second time in two week's!

I'm not kidding

We have a home CCW forum that sometimes the members on there get together and go shooting at the range or what not.

A guy that lives in my town wanted to take some formal training at a place I train at often so we took a tactical pistol training class together. In the class we were at the point where we were doing tactical reloads and he has a bad habit of turning his gun to the side while changing a mag thus covering about 10 of us with the muzzle that are standing about 25 feet away under the pavilion with a loaded gun pointed at us rather than keeping the gun pointed down range and loading a fresh mag.

I was standing closest to him watching as this was a timed course with about 18 shot's being made with 4 tactical reloads. It is designed to put you under stress like you could be (will be) in a real life gun fight, your moving fast and trying to remember everything you need to remember to complete the course with little or no penalties.

So there I am looking right down the barrel of his gun. I immediately proceed to jump to the right to clear the site of fire, Pretty much leaving my class mates on there own. Most had no clue what had just happened. After the run we discussed what just happened with my instructor, him and the class as to how insane that was and how it can't happen again.

So I think, no big deal, lesson learned!

Well, this morning I meet him at a local outdoor unmanned range. Started talking about guns, some target stands he built mimicking the ones in the tactical class we took and all that good stuff. Start talking about his Sig Revolution as to how he dislikes it as it jam's so bad that the slide will not open because the round jam's it up, one time having to take it to a gun smith it was so bad. He takes it out of the case, he has the orange safety plug in it, mag seated (that was loaded but I sure didn't know it and he sure didn't know it obviously) and proceeds to take the plug out pulling the slide back apparently enough to chamber a round off that mag. I luckily moved around the shooting table and away from the muzzle, the next thing I know my ears are ringing from a .45 gun shot blast going off. it was about 6:30am and we didn't have glasses or muff's on because we were talking and getting our stuff ready to shoot.

I have no idea why he did it but he took aim to basically "take aim" kinda towards the ground (not sure what the angle would have been, maybe 45 degree?) and pulls the trigger!!!! wham, gun goes off, he is aimed towards the back of the range, the round hit's his metal military ammo box and actually dent's it (makes a smooth dent) and the handle flies off, round went somewhere in the woods but the direction of not only the road coming in but near the adjacent sporting clays range. Luckily it was very early and we were the only ones on the range but at least two cars came through to go to the other side of the conservation area.

He freaked out, set the gun down immediately with a stunned look on his face and while I can't hear much from the sound shock I just received I abruptly ask what the heck he pulled the trigger for?? (And not in those kind of words believe me). He had no answer and all I could do is think how lucky I was to move around the table because I saw the gun come out and positioned myself away from it just by habit/training/awareness/instinct or all the above, I really don't know.

I was stunned at what just happened to be honest! I could tell he was tripping over it as well so I started to cool him down and had him throw that orange safety plug in the trash and we ended up finishing the morning safely shooting for a couple hundred rounds and everything from then on was just fine.

But, I told myself if I saw that bugger hook on his trigger again before he was ready to shoot on the firing line, I was going to break it. I've had two very close calls in two weeks with this guy so "if" there is a third time I can only imagine that my luck will eventually run out!

The reason why I am posting this is to again preach gun safety and obtaining professional training! It can and probably will happen to you unless you always practice the four rules, period!

Another thing is throw the dang orange "safety" plug away immediately after buying a new or used gun or at least never use it. The reason why is the "safety" plug gives a false sense of safety to your subconscious mind that the gun is unloaded and put's your normal safety habits on a break. Today, what happened, is the exact reason why not to use these plug's, it can take you off your game as in this example.

Sorry for the long read but I felt it was important that it be told and hopefully raise a red flag of caution with the use of these plug's or breaking any of the four safety rules. My ears are still ringing, but I will take that over being shot on Friday the 13th.

Ti
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I vote for Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President.....Not!

I wouldn't give him another chance, if a friend shoots and kills you, you are just as dead as if a BG does.

"First rule of a gun fight is to have a gun"

Distinguished Member Array BIG E's Avatar
    Holy Cow. I have heard some stories, but that is a good one.

I think I would permanently take him off my shooting buddy list. Being nice is just not worth your life.

Seems like this guy doesn't get it. I don't think I could have continued at the range that day. Something about almost getting shot that seems to ruin a day at the range.
    Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft!

-- Theodore Roosevelt --

Quote Originally Posted by BIG E View Post
    Holy Cow. I have heard some stories, but that is a good one.

I think I would permanently take him off my shooting buddy list. Being nice is just not worth your life.

Seems like this guy doesn't get it. I don't think I could have continued at the range that day. Something about almost getting shot that seems to ruin a day at the range.
    Man don't I know it! believe me there were rules that had to be followed in order to continue on and shoot and they were practiced so I stayed. He is a good dude and actually shoot's often but apparently has a few safety habits that are suspect at the very least.

Ti
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

Well I hope for your sake you don't shoot with that idiot anymore.
    Better to be tried by 12, than carried by 6

Aviation Machinist's Mate USN 93-97
    NAF Atsugi, Japan CVW 5
    CV62 USS Independence
    HS-12 Wyverns, VS-21 Fighting Redtails

Lead Moderator
    Yeah, once someone did that, Either myself or the offending person would be gone.
    As for the safety plug, they do make the range safer, if everyone uses it. (visible empty chamber)
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Quote Originally Posted by rocky View Post
    Yeah, once someone did that, Either myself or the offending person would be gone.
    As for the safety plug, they do make the range safer, if everyone uses it. (visible empty chamber)
    I still say forget the plug! I like going with no mag and with the slide locked open for all to see! That plug caused trouble today, I watched it unfold. His mind was at ease because of it. If there is no mag in and the slide is locked open this can't happen.

Ti

Lead Moderator
    The plugs I have used actually fill the chamber, not allowing a round to be present. I feel much better seeing a large , bright plug in a gun if I am walking downrange.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Distinguished Member Array Doc Holliday's Avatar
    The third time is not going to be a charm for you. Run, far, far away from this guy. Be honest and straight forward and tell him why you refuse to shoot with him when he asks you.
    Why Ike, whatever do you mean? Maybe poker's just not your game Ike. I know! Let's have a spelling contest!

i operate the same on civilian ranges as on military. no mag, bolt/slide locked to the rear, weapon on it's side so chamber is visible, barrel facing up and down range. only then can the range go cold.

while it's admirable to want to calm the guy down and get him back to shooting so the negative experience doesn't sour his want for the sport, it's not the right thing to do. it's good for him to remain freaked out, and let it sink in.

if he was on a military range, he would have been forcibly disarmed, and completely "retrained". both events would be significantly emotional, and never forgotten.

i wouldn't be anywhere near that guy in the future.
    War is not the ugliest of things. Worse is the decayed state of moral feeling which thinks nothing is worth a war. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which he cares for more than his personal safety, is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free. -J.S. Mill

Just want to echo the other posters' sentiments---DO NOT go shooting with this guy EVER again. Hopefully he doesn't have a CCW license--he WILL KILL someone accidentally some day at the rate he's going.

Quote Originally Posted by phaed View Post
    i operate the same on civilian ranges as on military. no mag, bolt/slide locked to the rear, weapon on it's side so chamber is visible, barrel facing up and down range. only then can the range go cold.

while it's admirable to want to calm the guy down and get him back to shooting so the negative experience doesn't sour his want for the sport, it's not the right thing to do. it's good for him to remain freaked out, and let it sink in.

if he was on a military range, he would have been forcibly disarmed, and completely "retrained". both events would be significantly emotional, and never forgotten.

i wouldn't be anywhere near that guy in the future.
    +1!
    N.R.A. Member
    G.O.A. Member
    Unified Sportsmen of Florida Member

Administrator
    No excuse for that ND
    I also have a big problem with shooters that push their speed in stress shooting situations before their skill level can handle it.
    They get all goofed up in the head and that's OK as long as their basic gun handling and safety mindset is solid but, when it's not - that's trouble. I would not shoot around this guy any more. Not for a long while anyway. Time for him to start over again at square one.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

VIP Member
    Incidents like that are why I have a range at home. Public ranges & people I DON'T know with guns make me nervous.
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    No excuse for that ND
    I also have a big problem with shooters that push their speed in stress shooting situations before their skill level can handle it.
    They get all goofed up in the head and that's OK as long as their basic gun handling and safety mindset is solid but, when it's not - that's trouble. I would not shoot around this guy any more. Not for a long while anyway. Time for him to start over again at square one.
    +1 on that and Phaed's post.

When on the range, the only time slide is closed/forward is if I am "On Line" and shooting, or if weapon is "IN HOLSTER" Anytime gun is out of holster, slide is open and no mag in weapon.

Revolvers go in holster or cylinder is "Open!"

(The only exception is when the swat team is doing live fire range training and fire and manuver drills as a team and there is always a certified range officer scrutinizing every move and watching muzzle discipline, and only after hours and hours of dry fire practice. And everyone is in body armor.)

To me, I don't like the orange safety plugs either. My thinking is they belong in a gun shipped new from the factory, in a weapon at the gun shop, or on display at a gun show, as a visual indicator that the chamber is empty and there's a "reasonable expectation" that no live ammo is in any magazines associated with that weapon under those situations.

Once you own the gun and have brought it home, bullets tend go into magazines and ammo is near, in or around the weapon and a moments inattention leads to what "Ti" experienced out on the range. It leads to a false sense of security.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links