Wife and Daughter Shot At

This is a discussion on Wife and Daughter Shot At within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Around 3pm eastern my wife and daughter were going to Blockbuster to return a movie.As my wife pulled out of our neighborhood she approached the ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wife and Daughter Shot At

Around 3pm eastern my wife and daughter were going to Blockbuster to return a movie.As my wife pulled out of our neighborhood she approached the 4 way stop.Turning right to head to the store a black 4 door compact(best description she could give LEO) came up to her door(drivers side)produced a handgun and fired.My wife being a smart gal immediately jumped on the throttle and drove about 200 yards forward.She then made a Nascar 360 and tried to pursue the punk that shot at her.(She was unarmed ).Meanwhile my daughter had the foresight to call me via cellphone to let me know what went down.I instructed her to have "Mom" break off pursuit and high tail it back to the house. Of course we called the sheriff and to my delight they were on the spot in minutes.But, as these cases go the perp got away and has still not been apprehended.So, now I have a small caliber hole in my drivers door.Thank the good Lord the BG did not have a better weapon.It only broke the outer skin of the door and did not penetrate the cab.Of course now my wife is adamant about carrying and getting her own CCW permit.I told her in that type of situation a "shoot back" deal may not have been proper.Especially since she was doing the "pursuing".I must admit I am very disturbed in the Sheriffs department take on this.I was told this kind of thing happens every day.Well B.S. Not to me and mine it doesn't! However that is the way they left it.Well, I thank you for letting me air this out....I felt I could do it here and you all would understand.....

Glad she nor your daughter was not hurt

and hope she gets her carry permit

and you are right shooting back would probley not have been legal..

But would sure be hard to resist doing ..

Wow.

Administrator
    Wow, I'm glad your family is OK.

Why wouldnt it be legal to return fire? I agree your wife took the smarter option.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member Array Ghettokracker71's Avatar
    I don't understand why it wouldn't be legal to return fire? Thats definitely a self-defense situation if I've ever seen one.

I'm glad they are okay. It seems as though this was a random act or?

"To blame a gun for a mans decision is to foolishly attribute free will to an inanimate object"- Colion Noir.

If she returned fire immediately fine but if she got into a running car chase and was returning fire then no.. be no different than chasing the bad guy and shooting them in the back..

Sorry i should have been more clear..

I think it would be seen as a escalation of force if she chased them and kept returning fire but quick enough to shoot shortly after they did in a side by side would not be a issue i think ..

Assistant Administrator
    thank you for letting me air this out....I felt I could do it here and you all would understand.....
    Indeed - that's a given. Phew! That was a scary moment for your wife but certainly the cop's take seems awful dismissive

Probably as well (in retrospect) she was unarmed and didn't pursue to shoot but for sure, sooner she has her own CCW the better - as long as she takes that on board the best way, so it is very much kept as last resort.

Re the damage - was it ''just'' you think, a .25 or .32??
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

dear god...I'm glad everyone is OK. I don't even want to think about what you (and them) went through at that moment. I've only been shot at once a long time ago (stupid kids in high school) and I still remember the cold chill in my spine.
    "If I was an extremist, our founding fathers would all be extremists," he said. "Without them, we wouldn't have our independence. We'd be a disarmed British system of feudal subjectivity."

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Bud White View Post
    If she returned fire immediately fine but if she got into a running car chase and was returning fire then no.. be no different than chasing the bad guy and shooting them in the back..

Sorry i should have been more clear..

I think it would be seen as a escalation of force if she chased them and kept returning fire but quick enough to shoot shortly after they did in a side by side would not be a issue i think ..
    Oh OK, I see what you mean... I agree.

Just to snuff this out ASAP, It sounds like the LEO was talking facts and probably wasnt blowing off the situation. Its kinda like a doctor fixing your broken leg... it isnt a big deal to the doc, as he "fixs" broken legs often... and it isnt his leg.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I'm Two Hours From Orlando...

One of my sons lived and worked there for a couple of years. This kind of crap has been steadily increasing for the last few years. There was absolutely no 'reason' for an incident like this except for violent gang activity...is getting very bad.

Thank God he moved over two years ago, but I still know individuals there who are seeing a huge increase in robbery, car-jacking, home invasions, and roaming gangs...it's a bad place...

And it's moving north...

I'm glad your family is fine...but I would seriously consider an employment/home move if it is possible...

I would strongly suggest that you allow this incident be the 'seed' that helps get your wife her permit, weapon, and some training. It took my wife 32 years and one incident in a Gainesville parking garage to get serious about a permit...now she understands!

I fear that Orlando will soon be as bad as Miami...then try selling a house!

OMO...yours may differ...

Stay armed...stay safe!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Glad you're here on the forum! Welcome!

Very releived your wife and daughter survived without injury or death!

Nothing like a deadly encounter up close and personal to get one determined to get a ccw. Good for your wife!

As this incident goes... just shows how each individual needs to be prepared to defend themselves at anytime. Things happen in the most innocuous of situations. Even a couple blocks from home.

In this situation, even if she had her ccw and a pistol, she did the RIGHT thing! Stomp on the gas and exit the kill zone as rapidly as possible. As she did, and as such, it would have removed her justification to return fire as she was no longer in a kill zone and under imminent threat.

However should the thugs had pursued her after she stomped on the gas... then having a gun with her would have been good to have.

I also don't believe in high speed chases... If she was armed, and they pursued her, I would think best bet would be to stop, exit the vehicle, use good cover and engage from a stationary position. Shooting from a moving vehicle, in a near panic situation, while driving is an invitation for big disaster. You have know idea where your missed shots are going... my luck, it would find the kid on the bicycle 1/2 a block away. Also big chance of serious car crash.

The type of situation your wife and daughter experienced will probably never happen again, but if it should after she gets her ccw, make sure she understands the dynamics of a moving car encounter.

Again, I am glad things worked out ok. After the willies wore off... no doubt your wife was hoppin mad!

Get her a ccw and get one for yourself asap if you don't already have one!

Good Luck,
    Stay Safe!

(and remember, never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly!)
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Wow, glad the family is alright. I hope these gutless cowards get what they deserve. Your wife seems to be one smart lady, hopefully soon she will be one smart ARMED lady.
    It does seem Orlando is becoming the ghetto. I lived in Winter Park for a couple of years and went back not to long ago to visit some family. Just in 3-4 years it seems alot worse.

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    I guess the question I have is why would someone, out of the blue, target your car? There has to be some underlining motivation on the part of the BG(s) to single out your car.

Rick

Distinguished Member Array BIG E's Avatar
    Holy COW! We all hear about this kind of thing, but hope it never visits our home.

I'm glad your family is ok. I can't imagine losing someone to some little punk kid with a pea shooter.

Get her a CCW weapon immediately.
    Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft!

-- Theodore Roosevelt --

Quote Originally Posted by bandit383 View Post
    I guess the question I have is why would someone, out of the blue, target your car? There has to be some underlining motivation on the part of the BG(s) to single out your car.

Rick
    It could have been a gang initiation thing or maybe they thought the vehicle belonged to someone else.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links