Had an ND tonight (no injuries)

This is a discussion on Had an ND tonight (no injuries) within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Ok....I am going to be short about it because there is no real need to fluff things up. I went to the range today, shot ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Had an ND tonight (no injuries)

Senior Member Array Shadowsbane's Avatar

Had an ND tonight (no injuries)

Ok....I am going to be short about it because there is no real need to fluff things up.

I went to the range today, shot bunches had fun.

Went to my in-laws afterwords and cleaned the guns.

Drove home, brought guns inside and proceded to load the house gun again.

Loaded the mag into the gun, pulled the slide all the way back, let go, and Bang!

As soon as the slide closed all the way the gun went off.

First of all I know there are no accidental discharges. Ever. However, I also know that my finger was not on the trigger, nor was it in the trigger guard. I loaded the round, and I clean/maintain the gun so it is my fault. But I have no idea how it happened.

Thank God I always point it in a safe direction. (Bullet bounced off the floor, went through my wifes computer bag and stopped inside a chair. I always point the gun down and towards the outside window which is in front of a 10 foot mound of dirt.)

Gun is going to the smith tomorrow to be inspected, but does anybody have any idea as to what could be the cause?

Shadowsbane
    Now, we must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men.

www.Lonelymountainleather.com

2. Remove Ads

First of all I know there are no accidental discharges. Ever.
    Wrong. While exceedingly rare, ADs can and do occur to even the best of us (I even experienced one myself at the range, with a malfunctioning Remington 700). This sounds like it's a real AD, as it's either a slam-fire and/or a mechanical failure that caused the round in the chamber to go off. It was pointed in a safe direction when it occurred, and that means it is an Accidental Discharge, not a Negligent one.

As for cause: what is the "house gun"? Is it single or double action, etc..
    Discretion is the better part of valour; and a virtue beyond reproach.
    Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Currently the house gun is my cz75A It is single/double action.

It is to be my carry gun when my license comes, but for now it is the house gun as it is the only effective one my wife can use.
    Now, we must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men.

It has an external hammer, right?

Sounds like it's definitely a mechanical malfunction; normally the pistol's hammer should be locked back upon the slide being pulled back. It sounds like the hammer just came right back down when the slide returned to battery.
    Discretion is the better part of valour; and a virtue beyond reproach.
    Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

If finger was OFF the trigger, it does sound like an AD scenario. Yes, a trip to gunsmith or factory is in order!

Pointed in safe direction, although at the expense of one wounded computer bag and chair plus a dinged floor. God I hate ricochets!
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Senior Member Array stanislaskasava's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowsbane View Post
    I went to the range today, shot bunches had fun.
    Went to my in-laws afterwords and cleaned the guns.
    As soon as the slide closed all the way the gun went off.
    I guess you didn't have any slam-fires, etc. at the range? You've probably already cleared the gun for safety... you could slingshot the slide to see if the hammer follows or check to see if the firing pin is stuck and protruding through the breech face.

Thanks for following that rule about what guns point at!

Whooa, what the heck is going on all the sudden?

Faulty equipment (although very rare) is in fact an AD.

Glad everyhting else was cool with your direction.

Ti
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I vote for Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President.....Not!

Well, my hands stopped shaking enough for me to strip down the gun.

Tried to make the hammer fall both before I took the slide off and after....solid as a rock.

Then I looked in the slide, and it appears that my firing pin is stuck out. (Although I do not know why it only fired once if that was the cause)

Too late to that assembly all apart now, but first thing tommorrow.

Either way still going to a gunsmith tommorrow for a quick look.

Thank you for the help General.

Good example about why one should always follow the safe direction rule. Don't know what I would of done had I hit my wife or the next door neighboor.

Check and see if the pin broke I saw a 1911 a brand i wont say go full auto 3 weeks ago this way pin had broke and was stuck out of the slide ..

Glad no one was hurt.

Administrator
    Ditto Bud.

Broken firing pin or if the firing pin spring breaks it can jam the FP in the forward position.
    If the FP Spring is weak then the firing pin can stick in the forward position if it jams in the hole.

A qualified gunsmith should be able to help insure that does not happen again in the near future.

I'll bet that shook ya up more than just a little bit.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

The police were all over my complex tonight. (2 domestics and 1 drunk driver car wreck)

Was just waiting for them to knock on my door next but no one came.

Going to have to explain to my inlaws how that bullet hole ended up in their chair though.

To be honest it shook me up more than it did my wife. She was sleeping soundly less than 20 minutes later.

holy crap man. from the wikipedia article and you saying it's the 75a I'm assuming it lacks the firing pin block they only mention with the 75b from the late 1980's on... and you're very lucky that because it was locked forward you didn't go full auto onto your floor, I'm sure that would have shaken you & your wife a lot more. > )

My dad's Ruger 9mm (dunno which since I was young) went full auto at the range once after a shot. Lucky he had the wherewithall to keep the gun held firmly and once the smoke cleared, the RO came over ready to throw him out until he had a chance to explain himself, and get it looked at by the gunsmith on-site. He said it scared the crap out of him...

Alright I have taken the assembly apart and found a small bit of dirt but also about 3 or 4 stands of a brass cleaning brush. When I first took out the pin/spring they were clean and nothing was amiss. But I took a can of air and blew out the hole and out came the dirt/brush pieces.

The pin looks a bit roughed up like it has been rubbing on the brass for a while, so I ordered a new one. But it is back together and moving freely. So could that of been the problem?

Edit: In a related note, I ordered the part from CZUSA and 15 minutes later I just recieved an email stating that the order has been shipped. How insane is that.

Someone long ago suggested to place three or four phone books one on top of the other, then to wrapp them with riggers tape, and to do any loading/unloading of firearms with the muzzle pointed towards the pile - that way if you have an AD/ND, the projectile would most likely be caught by the thousands of paper pages (saving your wall/deck/furniture/life/etc).

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    Alright I have taken the assembly apart and found a small bit of dirt but also about 3 or 4 stands of a brass cleaning brush. When I first took out the pin/spring they were clean and nothing was amiss. But I took a can of air and blew out the hole and out came the dirt/brush pieces.

The pin looks a bit roughed up like it has been rubbing on the brass for a while, so I ordered a new one. But it is back together and moving freely. So could that of been the problem?

Edit: In a related note, I ordered the part from CZUSA and 15 minutes later I just recieved an email stating that the order has been shipped. How insane is that.
    Ah, crud stuck in the firing pin channel, from either too much or not enough cleaning. If that was the cause, then it was indeed an ND - thankfully, the rules you followed prevented any major loss or damage.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links