PM9 Graying with Solvent

This is a discussion on PM9 Graying with Solvent within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have been enjoying my new Kahr PM9094N and after taking it to the range for a 300-rd breakin (WWB and blazer). It performed excellently ...

Thread: PM9 Graying with Solvent

PM9 Graying with Solvent

I have been enjoying my new Kahr PM9094N and after taking it to the range for a 300-rd breakin (WWB and blazer). It performed excellently with only one fte on round #180 or so - the rest chambered and ejected just fine - very pleased after reading all about PM9 problems.

After returning home I field stripped it and sprayed the underside (and all over) of the blackened stainless slide (Tungstun DLC) with Outers Nitro Solvent Gun Cleaner to rinse the grime off. I was horrified to see the DLC finish turn ashen gray before my very eyes. I quickly wiped it down but it didn't help. I sprayed it with Breakfree CLP and that evaporated and left it gray again. I checked the Outers can again and it says "safe for all metal surfaces" I later checked the Kahr manual and found no warnings. This picture is AFTER dousing and wiping with RemOil liberally. The oil just seemed to evaporate off and leave it gray. I seriously thought I was having a bad dream.

Each time I applied oil it seemed to get better. Now after several layers of oil (RemOil and a heavier Outers Gun Oil) I think it is back to normal.

Are there any metallurgists our there that can tell me what the heck happened? I did a quick Google search and came up empty. I'm still not convinced the finish is back to normal for the long term.

Ideas?

JIM
    Attached Images
    Jim Heffelfinger
    Wildlife Biologist and Author of "Deer of the Southwest"
    http://www.deernut.com

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Cylinder & Slide have a cleaner designed for plastic guns called Poly Dunk-Kit that might be your solution.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Tungsten DLC is considered a " self lubing" finish when used in industry's other than the gun world. It is self lubing in that it has " micro pores " that trap oil ect. and hold them long term . One of two things happened , either your solivent displaced the oils , or reacted with them turning grey . Its not a long term issue for the finish imho since either way as you noted replacing the oils restores the coloration. DLC is a nitrided finish and as such is amazingly robust , almost indestructible with normal use. Nitrided finishes are normaly grey , and the color of DLC is achived by a combo of the use of argon gas during coating , and the oils trapped in the pores . I clean my pm9 slide with breakfree CLP and have seen no discoloration issues at all .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Links