686 - with a difference.

This is a discussion on 686 - with a difference. within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Guess this is partly for acparmed's benefit!! It was his gun! I used to have a 686 dash nothing way back - and used it ...

Thread: 686 - with a difference.

Assistant Administrator

686 - with a difference.

Guess this is partly for acparmed's benefit!! It was his gun!

I used to have a 686 dash nothing way back - and used it for PPC and other competitions. I always wanted another - and, having resumed some PPC shooting - decided to get this replacement. Always found it the best for the job in old days.

I did tho machine from solid - a 15 ounce barrel weight for the original and fortunately kept it. This was from mild steel bar - drilled thru, opened up with a reemer and milled down to leave a profile suitable for sliding over the underlug - and further milled to relieve for ejector rod.

Inside was also milled to receive a steel profiled pressure plate - tightened by three set screws from below... thus locking it to underlug. A further fourth set screw at rear is placed so as to engage in a very small ''dimple'' in gun to maintain registration - the only gun modification. Edges finished mainly by draw filing.

This pic is at it was - cold blued. That has been mostly stripped off and I have yet to do further finishing and polishing so some marks are gone and when bright it will not look too different from the stainless. Protection will be a coating of Boeshield.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Finally got this fitted to new gun, after quite a bit of further file work - no two underlugs are the same!! This drops POI by a full 6" and greatly controls muzzle movement - it even damps muzzle side movement too whilst performing rapid D/A, particularly left hand barricade..

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Last evening was first time in action and did two rounds of PPC - felt good to have such a familiar platform in hand again, tho darned old eyes and more years old - my scores were hardly newsworthy! That will improve.

The barrel weight was never meant to look pretty - purely a function addition. Well worth all the effort it took.

Bob - this will now NOT sit idle again!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

2. Remove Ads

thats a sweet looking rig there... Looks like it was done from the factory

I have to admit that does look like a heck of a lot of fun.

1952 - 2006
    Thanks for the look Chris, it looks great with the addition. I hope it gives you as many years of service as it did me.

Thanks for the patience it took waiting for it to arrive. It was a pleasure doing business with you sir.
    Heroes are people who do what has to be done, when it has to be done, regardless of the consequences

"I like when the enemy shoots at me; then I know where the ******** are and can kill them."
    ~George Patton

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Links