Need Help !!! Need Ideas

This is a discussion on Need Help !!! Need Ideas within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Ok.. I'm not sure if this is the right place to put this thread, but if not someone can tell me to move it someplace ...

Thread: Need Help !!! Need Ideas

Need Help !!! Need Ideas

Ok.. I'm not sure if this is the right place to put this thread, but if not
    someone can tell me to move it someplace else.. Here in the deal.. Not far from my place is a rifle/pistol range.. This IS the biggest nicest place I've ever been in.. Well over the last 3-4 years it's been sold I don't know how many times. The people that have it now say they will never open it again. Too much money to run !!My question is can any one come up with some ideas of other business that could go in and supplement income to get it open and keep it open.?? This place has about 20,000 square feet. Lots of rooms.. The " MEMBERS LOUNGE " is nicer then my house.. I've brain stormed this for over a week and can not come up with any thing.. Any idea, I mean any idea, will be welcome !!!

PS,
    Someone asked if I could put in outdoor range.. I will check and add information as I get it.. There are also 8-9 LARGE room besides the
    in-door range

2. Remove Ads

If its that nice, it sounds like a book keeping/management issue. H&H has become a local fixture by being innovative, here in OKC:
    http://www.hhgunrange.com/

The "About H&H" section might give you some ideas.

An obvious one would be a gun store. The sorry truth is it may be too big to run without making it a members only type club with a high annual fee like a country club. I don't like that as it keeps the riff raff, (namely guys like me) out but that may be what it comes to, to pay the bill.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

I'll also pitch this out- see if you can, get a reputable trainer to base with you. If the facility is that nice, and if its large enough to make some mini "houses" inside, you could have a heyday, with Airsoft FOF training.

A range I used to frequent in Augusta had an indoor range, small/medium gun shop, and pretty well stocked billiards and pool store all in the same building. They did range rentals and ammo sales too, surprisingly (to me) the ammo was very reasonably priced. My guess is that the billiards sales helped keep the range afloat. Unfortunately there isn't much money in selling guns, the margins are EXTREMELY thin on new firearms. You can make good money on used guns if you can get people to sell you good ones, but usually if someone has something good and they know it they prefer to sell it themselves for more money. What type of area is this in? Rural, semi-rural, big city? I ask because that will determine what types of businesses there is a market for. A tractor dealer won't last long in NY City just the same way a fine clothing store won't last long out in the boonies of PA.

Just thinking (typing) out loud here, but maybe the extra space could be rented for conventions and conferences? Put in a few projectors and folding chairs and find people who need the space. If there's that much space available then SOMETHING can be done with it as long as it's managed properly. The thing is it sounds like the building is just too big and expensive to be supported solely by a range. Taxes and maintenance costs are too high for range revenue to pay, so the range needs to be one part of a combination of ventures. Maybe there's a local gunsmith who could use new digs to operate out of? He'll benefit from increased exposure to shooters while the range operators will get rent money from him. Think multiple related businesses all in the same location.
    - Kurt
    “Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it.” ~Pericles of Athens
    Primary Carry - Colt Commander .45 in a Brommeland Max-Con V

They had gun sales, and memberships.. All a failure.. The pool hall thing is an angle.. It's west of Cleveland in a very growing area..
    More people have guns.. I'll look into the place in Ok.. Someone on
    another board gave me Target World outside on Cinci... These have all been good. PLEASE EVERYONE keep thinking.. Is is not going to be a Size 38 off the rack kind of thing more like a 58 tall, with big hips !!
    This may be a place that there may need to be 6 or 7 things to fill the
    space and keep in working..

Annual memberships with discounted range time. A nicely equipped workout gym with personal defense classes might draw some regulars. Classes for ALL level shooters. NRA courses for ratings.A relaxing cafeteria/bar/lounge might be possible. Free Daycare while parents are on the range. A .22 only club with rifle and pistol areas. Just some thoughts. Chuck.

We offer a free Jr. rifle / pistol / air gun / trap / skeet teams to the children of your members. This seems to be a big draw also. A club that is very friendly to children.

It is always easier to tell your wife you are going to the range for awhile when you can take the kids along too.
    NRA Rifle Coach
    NRA Pistol Instructor
    NRA Personal Protection In the Home Instructor

--- Some of the friendliest people I have ever talked to are gun owners and shooters and according to the gun activists we are the mass murders and felons of the nation???

Okay, if you haven't been through the site yet:
    H&H offers an 8 (IIRC) lane airgun range, pistol and rifle range, a newly opened "cafe", with Cokes, bugers, dogs, etc.. They sell safes, cases, cleaning gear, and are a S&W, Kimber, Remington, Glock & I believe HK dealer. They teach hunters' safety, basic ccw classes, and some "advanced" pistol, shotty & carbine classes, indoors. Most importantly, they listen to the customers, and actually respond to demand.

Now, while all that is great, you're looking at a few million to start with a dealership of comparable size. You may have to see about a partial lease, until you know you can fill the space with profitable effort. Time to do a market survey, "What would your ideal gunshop have, for practical, family-oriented, service?".

Went to look over all area today.. It's a big NO for any outside range or any thing.. There is a construction company right up to the back of the building. and they have got ALOT of stuff in there back 40.. So it's down to just what can fit into building.. Got a phone number and will call in the next few days. From the look of the front door doesn't look like many have been in for a few weeks at least... Will keep you up to date as thing, HOPEFULLY, progress!!

Again thanks for all the help!!

If you are still kicking around the idea, the NRA has a Range Source Book that provides both basic and advanced guidance to assist in the planning, design, construction and maintenance of shooting range facilities. Here is the link

http://www.nrahq.org/shootingrange/sourcebook.asp

They also sponsor a conference/seminar focusing on fundamental aspects of building and maintaining a shooting facility.

http://www.nrahq.org/shootingrange/development.asp
    "Beware of the man who only owns one gun. He probably knows how to use it."

Links