My new project. Rebuilding grandpa's 22lr.

This is a discussion on My new project. Rebuilding grandpa's 22lr. within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Mods please move this if it is not in the right spot. No this is not for CCW, but I thought some of you may ...

Thread: My new project. Rebuilding grandpa's 22lr.

Distinguished Member Array BIG E's Avatar

Mods please move this if it is not in the right spot.

No this is not for CCW, but I thought some of you may enjoy seeing it.

Well I started on this project years ago and it never really took off. I don't know anything about lathes or mills so I didn't have a place to start.

A little background.

My grand father was a tool and die man for the navy. He (as he used to put it) used to build the big guns on the naval ships. He was also an avid squirrel hunter so he designed this beauty for the task. He made this single shot 22lr pistol from a bolt action 22 rifle and hand carved the stock for it.

Now i'm sure this was ok back in the day, but no more. We all know this to be a unregistered SBR. That is obviously a problem. After learning about the SBR status I disassembled the pistol and gave the barrel to my father for safe keeping (receiver and barrel have to be separated to make it legal to own).

I really wanted to keep the firearm as is and to use it myself for hunting. I think it is a great piece and definitely one of a kind.

I was not sure how to make this pistol legal, but after talking to some members on another forum I decided that building a new receiver was the best way to go. This way the gun is legal and can be used by me when I squirrel hunt. I would also love to pass this to my son one day.

I found a buddy that is a really good machinist and we traded some services. I agreed to do some work for him and he agreed to walk me through the process of building a new receiver.

The whole thing was done in a hurry and I really can't say how much I learned. He ran through the setup work and I just watched and did the cutting when the time came. Not the way I would have preferred it, but it was what it was.
    I can say that I would love to have a mini mill at home for future projects.

I have added some pics of the pistol before and of the old and new receiver. I still have quiet a bit of finishing to do along with some tapping and cutting.

The new receiver is in the middle in these pics. Sorry the lighting is bad. It's hard to get things lit well.

Let me know what you think.
    Attached Images
    Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft!

-- Theodore Roosevelt --

Assistant Administrator
    Actually, pics not too bad at all. I know nothing re the ''making legal'' aspect but it does appear you are well on the way to getting a good result. Woodwork looks nice too.

Way way back I used to shoot with a long barrelled single shot Webley .22 and it was super accurate - and this would seem to be heading towards that kinda result. Similar proportions.

Best of all will be the maintained usefullness of this old relic and it's family connection. I am sure your grandad would be proud to see this work being done.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Distinguished Member Array BIG E's Avatar
    Thanks Chris,

I hope he would be proud. This is not an item that you see everyday and the fact that he made it with his own hands makes it that much more special to keep in use and ready to hand down to my little shooter when he is ready.

I still have some work to do on it, but I think it is coming along nicely so far.
    Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft!

-- Theodore Roosevelt --

That is really nice! Unfortunately, when I was a stupid teenager, I sold the first two guns that my Dad bought me. A 20ga shotgun and a Ruger 10/22. I would love to have those back today. :-(

My favorite gun is a Remington Model 33 single shot bolt action .22LR. It has been through the hands of 4 generations of men in my family, and my 10yo daughter is now learning to shoot with it.

Family guns are terrific!

Sponsored Links