Hi-Point pistol reviews?

Hi-Point pistol reviews?

This is a discussion on Hi-Point pistol reviews? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Has anyone ever owned any Hi-Point pistols? Any .380 or 9mm's in particular ? My co-worker is looking for a cheap pistol that will hold ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hi-Point pistol reviews?

Hi-Point pistol reviews?

Has anyone ever owned any Hi-Point pistols? Any .380 or 9mm's in particular ? My co-worker is looking for a cheap pistol that will hold him over until finances permit a bigger and better purchase. Something is better than nothing right? Thanks for any info!
    "Like a muddied spring or polluted well is a righteous man who gives way to the wicked." -Proverbs 25:26

"If the thief is found breaking in, and he is struck so that he dies, there shall be no guilt for his bloodshed..." -Exodus 22:2

Lead Moderator
    No first hand knowledge , but some have reported they do work reliably.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

JD
    Administrator
    They are way too big and weigh even more, if cost were the only factor in my selections, I'd rather lay out a bit more and get a Taurus or a used Glock.

Here's what we tell our students during our CCW classes when we are discussing pistol selection:

"Buy the best gun that you can afford. If a Hi-Point is the best you can afford, then save up your money until you can afford something else."
    Member of the National Rifle Association's Board of Directors
    www.BuckeyeFirearms.org Buckeye Firearms Association Central OH Chair
    NRA Instructor/CCW Instructor/Realtor
    2009 NRA Sybil Ludington Women's Freedom Award Recipient

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Linda View Post
    Here's what we tell our students during our CCW classes when we are discussing pistol selection:

"Buy the best gun that you can afford. If a Hi-Point is the best you can afford, then save up your money until you can afford something else."
    A loaded pistol in the hand is better than money in the bank (saving for a pistol) during a violent encounter.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Senior Moderator
    I vote for telling your friend to steer clear of the Hi-Point for various reasons.

I will give you a few points about the Hi-Point, you, for yourself, or your friend, can determine whether they are maker's or breaker's in your book.

1. Though some have reported good accuracy, it's not guaranteed.
    I have seen them shoot well, and also seen expert shots hardly keep them on the paper. I see a LOT of Hi-Points in our range. I have never seen ONE produce fabulous results, despite the expertise of the shooter.

2. They are BIG.
    Even the .380 is big and bulky and a bit cumbersome. While some people seem to like that in some guns, it's a personal thing.

3. They are prone to jams, mis-feeds, and other problems.
    No matter how many people come on here and say, "MINE works just fine," if I had a dime for every Hi-Point that was brought in with a MAJOR problem, I would at least have a couple of dollars to buy dinner with.
    Now, I said, "MAJOR problem." I'm not talking about a spring that broke or a sight that wiggles or a novice who can't figure out how to get their guide rod back in their gun, I'm talking, "Every third round, my trigger won't move and I have to drop the mag and rack the slide to get it to work again," or "My slide no longer moves.. at all," or "Every other round through my gun is a jam, misfeed or some other problem."
    Now, there have been people who have confessed perfection with their Hi-Points, and all the power to them, but the rate of failure is just too hight for me.

4. Expect never to take them down and clean them.
    I would say, "They are hard to clean," but then someone would come on here and say, "No, you just spray it down, run a bore snake through it and you're good to go? How hard is that?"
    True, they aren't "HARD" to clean, but even the manufacturer suggests not to take them apart to clean them. That means that you have all sorts of stuff building up in your gun that will continue to build up and never be whipped away, potentially leading to cleaning related problems (which is a major reason for most of the issues we get in our shop).

5. Not many gunsmiths will work on them.
    Hi-Points are notorious (at least in our area) for being problem children and not worth the time to work on them (after all, they are a cheap gun). If I go through the referral book we have of gunsmiths in our area and the list of things they will work on and will not, almost every gunsmith has "will not work on Hi-Points" written near the top of their list. That tells you two things (if not more). One: They are getting a lot of requests for Hi-Points to be worked on, meaning there is something wrong happening because, let's face it, a Hi-Point is not necessarily a great piece that you want to be customized and gussied up. Two: They just plain aren't worth the smith's time (at least in his eyes). So, if something goes wrong with the gun, plan on the time to send it back to Hi-Point.

6. Not many shops will buy or trade in Hi-Points. Our shop, for one, WILL NOT purchase or give ANY trade in value toward a Hi-Point. Many other shops will not either. So, if, when the time comes to get a better gun, unless you are doing a private sale, don't expect to get money back for a trade in or anything of the sort.

7. Don't get me started on the trigger and sight.. maybe I'm just spoiled, but I can't stand the sights and/or trigger on the Hi-Points. They can fine for others, and if you like them or are fine with them, again, that is great, no bashing on you or yours, but that's just Lima theory.

8. For less than $200 more you can get a better and more valuable gun.
    The biggest seller in our shop for a first time gun is the Taurus PT111 in 9mm. It's only about $350, has a decent trigger and sights, has a resale and trade in value, easy to take down and clean and maintain, etc.

I'd save up my pennies and get a Taurus if I was tight on money, but again, that's up to the buyer.

On the good points.. Well, mostly, the people who like them simply say that they like them. They haven't had any problems with them, they don't mind the bulkiness, they are comfortable with them.

Hope this helps.

One of my good friends had a Hipoint 9mm. He lent it to me for a camping trip.

I WILL NEVER BUY ONE.

FTF, FTE city for me.

Revolver time? link

How low does he need to go?
    To those that paid for my freedom,
    I WILL NEVER FORGET.

As with all statements I've made and All that I will make, please check your local laws to verify accuracy. (and if i'm wrong let me know as I like to be right in the future) After all I'm just some goofball posting on an internet forum.

plus side to a hi-point is that if the gun jams you can beat the attacker to death with the pistol =o) it will be almost the equivalent to hitting them with a car =o)

Senior Member Array Shadowsbane's Avatar
    My father in law owns one.

His works fine, and actually can hold pretty decent groups at about 15 yards.

All in all not a bad purchase for the $89 he paid for it, and the use he intended to get out of it.

But now the bad news.

The firing pins are a bit on the weak side, as are the extracters. They can get bent or chipped during an extended range session. (both have happened with my FiL's gun)

They are a pain to take apart, and despite what the company says you really do need to take them apart to clean them correctly. (On the 9mm you have to hold the slide open 1/16th of an inch or so and tap out some pin that feels like it is press fit in there. very hard to do with just 2 hands)

The one I have shot has a hair trigger, and it is single action. Fine and dandy for range use, but for carry that can be a problem. Especially when you see that the only safety on the thing is the slide lock. So carry becomes troublesome as there are not really any good holsters for it and carry while empty is not a great plan.

Finally, and this is just personal taste, their mag release is really really painfull if you shoot left handed. I get cut and pinched like crazy whenever I shoot it. (Or I drop the mag)

If your friend is looking for a car gun, or even a house gun he could do worse than a high point pistol. They do make nice and cheap plinkers. However, unless he has an urgent need for a carry piece then I would strongly suggest anything else. Even a cheap 22 revolver in my opinion would be better suited for such tasks, as it would be safer, almost infinately more reliable, and the practice ammuntion is also tremendously cheaper.

Some suggestions I would have for other cheap weapons would be almost any used Taurus pistol, as their resale value tends to be very low, and they have a transferable "unconditional" lifetime warrenty (Long wait though)
    Now, we must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men.

www.Lonelymountainleather.com

Thanks for the replies folks. For the most part I have been feeling the same way about this brand, I have just never had any trigger or range time with their products. I was especially looking at the Taurus PT111 for an alternative that wont break the bank for my friend here. I heard their autos have come a long way. Depending on other information I can find, I'm prolly going to steer him away from Hi-Point to something with a better rap-sheet. Thanks and God bless you folks.

I'm going to let him read this thread for HIMSELF TOO!!!
    "Like a muddied spring or polluted well is a righteous man who gives way to the wicked." -Proverbs 25:26

"If the thief is found breaking in, and he is struck so that he dies, there shall be no guilt for his bloodshed..." -Exodus 22:2

Quote Originally Posted by rocky View Post
    A loaded pistol in the hand is better than money in the bank (saving for a pistol) during a violent encounter.

Not true! Not if it is not reliable and you aren't assured it's going to go bang each and every time. I guess you can always plan on pistol whipping the bad guy with it.

Limatunes #3 explaination says it all!
    Member of the National Rifle Association's Board of Directors
    www.BuckeyeFirearms.org Buckeye Firearms Association Central OH Chair
    NRA Instructor/CCW Instructor/Realtor
    2009 NRA Sybil Ludington Women's Freedom Award Recipient

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    I used to own a couple Hi-Points, the .40 S&W pistol being my first handgun ever, then traded it in for the 9mm Compact. I didn't put many rounds through either of them, but neither one experienced malfunctions for the short times I had them. I then purchased an XD9, and never looked back on Hi-Points. I now only buy guns that I can field strip myself, and clean. If I were your friend, I would keep saving for a better quality gun.
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

From a guy that has taken one apart for someone else: don't. Just Don't.

I have detail stripped multiple P7s, Walthers (TPH & PPK, and the P22), and the venerable Ruger MkII, among others. The Hi-Point makes you gag, not because of the complexity, but because it is complex crap. Pushtu tribesmen make better weapons out of pipes and scrap iron. By hand. Over coal fires. With hand-made tools.

Looking for a gun on a budget I would look at a used Makarov I have seen them in the $125-$200 range. THe ones I have shot are decent shooters and reliaible.

Ammo can be a little tough to find in some areas.

Distinguished Member Array Stetson's Avatar
    I'd buy a Makrov for a $150 before I buy another Hi point.Don't waste your hard earned cash!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links