PT111 Takedown Question

PT111 Takedown Question

This is a discussion on PT111 Takedown Question within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Nope, Six didn't buy a new gun. But I will occasionally clean firearms as a favor to friends. I have here sitting in front of ...

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar

PT111 Takedown Question

Nope, Six didn't buy a new gun. But I will occasionally clean firearms as a favor to friends. I have here sitting in front of me a fairly new Taurus PT111 Pro 9mm Millenium. I don't know much about this weapon and she (the owner) has tried to take it down and failed - claiming her 'manual sucks.' I of course gave the small chuckle to that and offered to take the firearm home to care for it and feed it a bottle (of CLP) before bed.. Little did I know........

So I'm staring at the on-line manual for it. I'm stuck at Step 4. I've removed the take-down pin and now the slide will not come off. The directions say that it should come right off the front.

They lie.

It slides 1/4" forward and stops. Am I missing something? My roommate had a gun just like this in .45 ACP I think and had the same problem. Are we just dumb? LOL

Help. I feel betrayed by Taurus. haha
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

Do you need to pull the trigger to pull the slide off?

/usual safety applies...

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar
    Brilliant!!!!!! Thank you, sir. Never had to do that with a takedown before. Thanks.
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

I have a PT-145 and my G/F has the PT-111....I dont have that problem with mine but I did with hers....even with pulling the trigger it was still PITA to get off. If you take the parts out of the fram...BE CAREFULL......there is a VERY little steel ball that is used for the detent on the safety. This ball will fall out when the safety lever is moved or taken off. make sure you do this over a large towel of something that can catch this ball. I didnt know about this when I did a full cleaning on my 145 and I spent a full hr looking for the darned thing. I was lucky to find it on the couch under the cushion.
    David

Ride hard and Shoot safe

The first rule of gunfighting should be to know when the gunfight starts - being the last one to get the news certainly won't put the odds in your favor.

Senior Member Array Sergeant Mac's Avatar
    I used to have a PT-111, and I remember that it was helpful during reassembly to turn it upside down.

Links